Thursday 8/10/2017 What's the plan Stan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, cheddar and Swiss - no and no and no. Cooking time on low should have been between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. After 3 hours, my macaroni is still chewy. The cheese is a solid mess and there is no creaminess to any of it.

So I'm kicking this recipe off the list.

I hope Burger King is open late. ;)

I've dumped full pots and pans of food in the trash before, and I'm sure I will again. It's never fun. :(

CD

OK, cheddar and Swiss - no and no and no. Cooking time on low should have been between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. After 3 hours, my macaroni is still chewy. The cheese is a solid mess and there is no creaminess to any of it.

Have you considered asking here for opinions about your experiments before beginning them? We might be able to help you avoid wasting food. There's a forum called something like "I have these ingredients - help me figure out what to do with them."

We've been eating a bit heavy for the last couple of days, so I'm making Alaskan pollock tonight. Not sure how I'll season it yet. I'll make salads and rice for sides. And maybe crostini with pesto from garden basil and tomatoes. If I get going now [emoji38]
I did end up making crostini and pesto, so I used Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning on the fish, then dredged the fillets in flour and pan-fried them. Served them with crostini and green salads with a gorgeous heirloom tomato from the farmers market.
0810172047a_HDR.jpg

Thanks GG, I thought about 40 min. in the smoker. I wish I had one of those probe thermometers, but...
I got a this one last year. I really like it - it works great and it's much less expensive than the ThermaPen. It has a magnet on the back, so you can stick it right on the fridge or whatever is near your stove.
2017-08-11-06-59-56.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered asking here for opinions about your experiments before beginning them? We might be able to help you avoid wasting food. There's a forum called something like "I have these ingredients - help me figure out what to do with them."
For example, I've made this and it's pretty good. I also fried some bread crumbs in butter and sprinkled them on top, for a little crunch.

I had, absolutely no plan for Thursday dinner.. Spent most of the day watching Little League playoff games..

Made a Trader Joe's run so, I whipped up a couple of grilled Havarti and salami sandwiches and had a few TJ's chips with them..

Ross

I got this one last year. I really like it - it works great and it's much less expensive than the ThermaPen. View attachment 27549

I've been wondering for a long time on those thermometers

- does the probe swivel?

I've never seen one in a different position. Seems to me, although I can see where the angle would be good for some uses, it brings your hand/fingers mighty close to the hot meat/whatever!

I got a this one last year. I really like it - it works great and it's much less expensive than the ThermaPen. It has a magnet on the back, so you can stick it right on the fridge or whatever is near your stove.
View attachment 27549

I like mine and use it constantly...

Ross

I've been wondering for a long time on those thermometers

- does the probe swivel?

I've never seen one in a different position. Seems to me, although I can see where the angle would be good for some uses, it brings your hand/fingers mighty close to the hot meat/whatever!

I also have this instant read. I love it.

When you open it it turns on and off again when you fold it closed. It opens all the way to a straight probe and anywhere in between till it's folded enough to turn off the display.

I also have this instant read. I love it.

When you open it it turns on and off again when you fold it closed. It opens all the way to a straight probe and anywhere in between till it's folded enough to turn off the display.
Right, it unfolds straight out and all the way back in, like a jack knife. If you look it up on Amazon, it has several pictures of it in different positions.

Thanks for the info on the instant read thermometer but I already have one I'm happy with.
This is what I've been wanting for grilling, smoking and oven. I think I'll go ahead and order it today.

ThermoWorks DOT TX-1200 Review & Rating

I have this one and really like it. Simple and straight forward. You don't have to deal with settings like RARE BEEF, Chicken, etc. Just target temp and actual temp.

Congrats on your new Nesco Roaster Jabbar! Let us all know how you like it.

I haven't used my stove top smoker in ages, so I'm doing a couple of butterflied cornish game hens in it for dinner. Anyone have a guess how long they should cook, or any other hints?

It worked so nice! My next thing will be to try my chicken dish in it. I use crushed pineapple and Russian dressing to make a sweet and sour type sauce with chicken breasts. Last time I made it in my new crock pot, the chicken was way over cooked and tough. I suspect it is because the new crock pot runs hot even on low setting. I really like the insert. It's nice and light unlike the heavy ceramic inserts on the crock pot. I was always afraid to put stuff in the crock and then into the fridge overnight. It was heavy and the rough bottom on the glass shelves? Not sure about that. This enameled insert will go in the fridge with no problem. I'm glad I bought it!

The recipes I've seen for crock pot mac and cheese all have the time 2-3 hours. Also for creamy, you might have put in 8 oz of cream cheese or used some Velveeta to make it more creamy. The recipes also note to stir it part way through cooking time to mix up the cheeses and noodles better. I can't imagine the combination of cheddar and Swiss was the problem. It may have been that the Swiss was slices instead of grated.

Lunch was Insalata Caprese, my favourite bread (Altamura), and peaches. They're finally in season. Tonight, breaded and fried rabbit pieces (very small, but worth the effort) with melted cheese and a drizzle of honey, mixed green veg, more fruit, but not too much.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

It worked so nice! My next thing will be to try my chicken dish in it. I use crushed pineapple and Russian dressing to make a sweet and sour type sauce with chicken breasts. Last time I made it in my new crock pot, the chicken was way over cooked and tough. I suspect it is because the new crock pot runs hot even on low setting. I really like the insert. It's nice and light unlike the heavy ceramic inserts on the crock pot. I was always afraid to put stuff in the crock and then into the fridge overnight. It was heavy and the rough bottom on the glass shelves? Not sure about that. This enameled insert will go in the fridge with no problem. I'm glad I bought it!

So nice to hear your report Jabbur! I've been so happy with mine for over 20 years it's good to hear from a new convert. Just wait till you make your first Thanksgiving dressing in it... ohh all those crusty edges :yum:!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom