Thursday 8/10/2017 What's the plan Stan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope Burger King is open late. ;)

I've dumped full pots and pans of food in the trash before, and I'm sure I will again. It's never fun. :(

CD

I did dump it, the most food I've ever dumped. But I didn't go to Burger King. I still had some BBQ pork from the store and I finished that off.

Have you considered asking here for opinions about your experiments before beginning them? We might be able to help you avoid wasting food. There's a forum called something like "I have these ingredients - help me figure out what to do with them."

Well, I know that what tastes good to some people, I wouldn't like and vice versa. I like to experiment anyway and I've found way more good recipes this way than ones that aren't.

And this is how I learn. By this time I have a pretty good idea of how things will taste by reading the recipe and I think the big mistake on this one was using evaporated milk (it was in the recipe) and the Swiss cheese.

I have to admit, though, I've never thrown out this amount of food before. Usually, even if something isn't up to my palate, it's edible (most of the time) and I'll eat it.

All I can chalk it up to is live and learn. And I don't mind asking people here for suggestions, but if I do and I try them and I don't like the result, I'd feel really bad. I don't see any point in putting people on the spot like that.

Well, I know that what tastes good to some people, I wouldn't like and vice versa. I like to experiment anyway and I've found way more good recipes this way than ones that aren't.

That's true for all of us. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of your experiments don't work out for you.

And this is how I learn. By this time I have a pretty good idea of how things will taste by reading the recipe and I think the big mistake on this one was using evaporated milk (it was in the recipe) and the Swiss cheese.

The recipe I posted, which I have made, includes evaporated milk, but it's made on the stovetop rather than the slow cooker. I think the problem is the low temperature of the slow cooker and the mix of cheeses.

And cooking is not just about taste; it's also about technique.

I have to admit, though, I've never thrown out this amount of food before. Usually, even if something isn't up to my palate, it's edible (most of the time) and I'll eat it.

All I can chalk it up to is live and learn. And I don't mind asking people here for suggestions, but if I do and I try them and I don't like the result, I'd feel really bad. I don't see any point in putting people on the spot like that.

That doesn't make sense to me. People here understand that we all have different tastes and we take suggestions we think we'll like and leave the rest. No one is offended if you don't like their suggestion, so why should you feel bad? And how will someone know that you didn't like their suggestion if you don't tell them? ;)

I don't think the evap milk was the problem either. I use it in a lot of recipes. In fact, I prefer mashed potatoes made with evap milk. It also seems like a lot of Cajun recipes use evap milk. I'm guessing it's because the recipes used today are based on old family recipes when refrigeration in Cajun country might not have been reliable and/or available at all, so they used evap milk. The Mulate's recipe for crab au gratin uses evap milk for the liquid (no water added to make it like regular milk) after you make the roux. I found a recipe in a cookbook that's from a church group in Cajun country that uses evap milk to make beignets that are nearly as good as the ones you get at Cafe du Monde in the French Market in NOLA. A lot of other recipes in that book use evap milk as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom