"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #41
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I hope Burger King is open late.

I've dumped full pots and pans of food in the trash before, and I'm sure I will again. It's never fun.

CD
I did dump it, the most food I've ever dumped. But I didn't go to Burger King. I still had some BBQ pork from the store and I finished that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you considered asking here for opinions about your experiments before beginning them? We might be able to help you avoid wasting food. There's a forum called something like "I have these ingredients - help me figure out what to do with them."
Well, I know that what tastes good to some people, I wouldn't like and vice versa. I like to experiment anyway and I've found way more good recipes this way than ones that aren't.

And this is how I learn. By this time I have a pretty good idea of how things will taste by reading the recipe and I think the big mistake on this one was using evaporated milk (it was in the recipe) and the Swiss cheese.

I have to admit, though, I've never thrown out this amount of food before. Usually, even if something isn't up to my palate, it's edible (most of the time) and I'll eat it.

All I can chalk it up to is live and learn. And I don't mind asking people here for suggestions, but if I do and I try them and I don't like the result, I'd feel really bad. I don't see any point in putting people on the spot like that.
__________________

__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, I know that what tastes good to some people, I wouldn't like and vice versa. I like to experiment anyway and I've found way more good recipes this way than ones that aren't.
That's true for all of us. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of your experiments don't work out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And this is how I learn. By this time I have a pretty good idea of how things will taste by reading the recipe and I think the big mistake on this one was using evaporated milk (it was in the recipe) and the Swiss cheese.
The recipe I posted, which I have made, includes evaporated milk, but it's made on the stovetop rather than the slow cooker. I think the problem is the low temperature of the slow cooker and the mix of cheeses.

And cooking is not just about taste; it's also about technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have to admit, though, I've never thrown out this amount of food before. Usually, even if something isn't up to my palate, it's edible (most of the time) and I'll eat it.

All I can chalk it up to is live and learn. And I don't mind asking people here for suggestions, but if I do and I try them and I don't like the result, I'd feel really bad. I don't see any point in putting people on the spot like that.
That doesn't make sense to me. People here understand that we all have different tastes and we take suggestions we think we'll like and leave the rest. No one is offended if you don't like their suggestion, so why should you feel bad? And how will someone know that you didn't like their suggestion if you don't tell them?
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #43
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,188
I don't think the evap milk was the problem either. I use it in a lot of recipes. In fact, I prefer mashed potatoes made with evap milk. It also seems like a lot of Cajun recipes use evap milk. I'm guessing it's because the recipes used today are based on old family recipes when refrigeration in Cajun country might not have been reliable and/or available at all, so they used evap milk. The Mulate's recipe for crab au gratin uses evap milk for the liquid (no water added to make it like regular milk) after you make the roux. I found a recipe in a cookbook that's from a church group in Cajun country that uses evap milk to make beignets that are nearly as good as the ones you get at Cafe du Monde in the French Market in NOLA. A lot of other recipes in that book use evap milk as well.
__________________

__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.