Thursday 8/10/2017 What's the plan Stan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
As of now the plan is Instant Pot crustless quiches with sliced tomato on the side. But meatloaf or chili are also options.

I think I'm going to do the smoked sausage and potatoes in my new Nesco roaster! I got it all seasoned and ready to go. The other option is to do a chicken dish in it but I think I'll wait to do that over the weekend.

TB is getting a marinated & grilled 2" loin chop with new potatoes and salad. I will be having a modified Cobb salad (only meat is turkey) with blue cheese dressing.

It is too hot for anything else here!

How funny, I was just about to start the ball rolling with today's dinner menu,
it's a good thing I looked first :ROFLMAO:

We have ANOTHER house guest coming today, this time it's for
two nights AND he's a vegetarian, oy! :rolleyes: :LOL:
DH's buddy from Southern AZ should be here later this afternoon,
and I already have two pans of lasagna ready in the `fridge,
one big casserole dish with browned Sweet Italian Sausage added
and a smaller pan with just 3 different cheeses.
I think I'll put together a green salad and bake some
Trader Joe's Half Baked Idea Ciabatta as sides.

For dessert, I have another Apple Crosata ready to go,
ala mode naturally ;)

Congrats on your new Nesco Roaster Jabbar! Let us all know how you like it.

I haven't used my stove top smoker in ages, so I'm doing a couple of butterflied cornish game hens in it for dinner. Anyone have a guess how long they should cook, or any other hints?

I haven't used my stove top smoker in ages, so I'm doing a couple of butterflied cornish game hens in it for dinner. Anyone have a guess how long they should cook, or any other hints?
This is just a guideline, but I'm looking at a Cooks Illustrated recipe for Thai Grilled Chicken using Cornish game hens (apparently Thai chickens are much smaller than ours). It says to grill them for 33 to 40 minutes till the breast reaches 160 on an instant read thermometer. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We've been eating a bit heavy for the last couple of days, so I'm making Alaskan pollock tonight. Not sure how I'll season it yet. I'll make salads and rice for sides. And maybe crostini with pesto from garden basil and tomatoes. If I get going now [emoji38]

This is just a guideline, but I'm looking at a Cooks Illustrated recipe for Thai Grilled Chicken using Cornish game hens (apparently Thai chickens are much smaller than ours). It says to grill them for 33 to 40 minutes till the breast reaches 160 on an instant read thermometer. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Hope this helps.

Thanks GG, I thought about 40 min. in the smoker. I wish I had one of those probe thermometers, but...

Dinner was scrambled eggs with sweet Italian sausage, multicolored bells (green, red, orange and yellow), onions (red and yellow) and sliced tomato on the side.

eggs_081017_IMG_2670.JPG

A regular old side salad, though I did make the dressing. Entree was crab au gratin based on Mulate's recipe.

P8100049_1.jpg

I did them in the stovetop smoker on the center burner of the grill for 40 min. and then finished them on the open grill for another 15 min. Wow.. they were delicious!

P8100048_1.jpg

Last edited:
Cute little birdies, Kayelle. You murderer, you! :LOL: J/K.

Oh my, I made tooooo full of patty melts *burp* Not sure we'll ever eat again. *burp* That's a little pile of carmelized onion-Fontina cheese ooze in the lower-left corner. Big, sloppy sandwiches. Princess Himself had to knife-and-fork his.

Attachments

• 20170810_214629.jpg
    20170810_214629.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 138
I'm out of salad and I'm out of refried beans, and it's still so hot here. So a couple of minutes ago I threw some macaroni into the crock pot with regular milk, evaporated milk and cheese, along with butter and salt. It supposed to be done in about an hour. I have no idea how this is going to turn out because I've never made mac and cheese in the crock pot before.

I didn't have the required 3 cups of cheddar cheese, so I put in the two cups I did have, some Swiss slices that were in the fridge, and the last of the Parmesan.

I suppose I can always go out to Burger King is it's not edible.

I had lunch with a friend/customer today -- a handful of my customers have become good friends over the years.

We went to this great diner with a menu full of comfort food. I had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and fried okra, with plenty of white gravy.

Soooo, it was light grazing tonight.

CD

OK, cheddar and Swiss - no and no and no. Cooking time on low should have been between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. After 3 hours, my macaroni is still chewy. The cheese is a solid mess and there is no creaminess to any of it.

So I'm kicking this recipe off the list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom