Thursday, 8/18/2016, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Galbi and banchans. Started the meat marinading about an hour ago. My kimchi is ready to go, as are my daikon pickles. I have the fixins for:

Seafood (shrimp and squid) pancake
Sauteed spinach with sesame seed and sesame oil
Sweet and salty lotus root
Cucumber salad
Carrots like I make for bibimpap
Sticky rice obviously

And, I have a good chunk of Asian pear now that I've made the meat marinade. Not sure what to do with that, guess I could pickle it but we've already got several pickled and sort of pickled dishes. Any ideas? We have a fairly extensive Asian ingredient pantry.

Got a couple of bottles of soju in the fridge.

I may have to raid the good china for enough little bowls for all those things. Finally a use for mother's china!

Pics to follow later after everything is made.

Wow, you're sure energetic MT!! I'm just now on my second cuppa Joe. I'm having lunch with my birthday boy son later, so I'll report later about what I put together for supper.

Wow, you're sure energetic MT!! I'm just now on my second cuppa Joe. I'm having lunch with my birthday boy son later, so I'll report later about what I put together for supper.

I've been looking forward to trying this at home since we had a wonderful meal at a Korean place Craig found in his daily travels.

Energetic, not really. Only made the marinade today so far. The kimchi and daikons have been doing their thing since I made them last Friday or Saturday. The rest shouldn't take much more than an hour, maybe up to 90 minutes, giving myself a cushion, to put everything together if I have my timing right. Hopefully, Craig won't have too long of a day today and will feel like firing the charcoal grill up, otherwise the meat will go under the broiler. I'd much rather it be cooked on the grill, both for the flavor and don't really want to heat the house up with the broiler.

We had a bigger lunch of oven fries and sausages nuggets and sallad, yeah doesn't sound so fancy , but I was tired and it filled a hole.

Then dinner tonight was baked open faced sandwich, with bacon, tomatoes and cheese, laughing cow Gouda slices for half the family and Greek feta cheese for me. I feel like the cooking Gods , just laughed at me and then ran away.

Oh well tomorrow I do better... maybe.

We get a United Way take and bake of ham loaf and hashbrown casserole, with some sort of dessert.

After having hot dogs last night, I will have had my official sodium, nitrate, and nitrite allotment for the rest of the year...

If I can get it in gear pretty soon, I'll make a few cheese enchiladas. Been having a craving for them. :yum: I'll have one for dinner this afternoon, with a scoop of refried black beans and a small side salad. The rest of the enchiladas and refrieds are for planned leftovers over the next day or two.

Happy birthday to your son, Kay!

Last edited:
Went to make the garlic shrimp and surprise! - no lemon juice. *grumble, grumble* So off to the store I go in the hottest part of the day. Needless to say, there will be no going to the Farmer's Market today.

Grocery store buys today are for survival in hot weather: frozen blueberries (for eating frozen), a sub sandwich, a 10lb bag of ice (I am SO tired of trying to break out ice cubes only to watch them bounce across the floor and for a bonus, I can wear it on my head!), Capri Sun juice pouches (I freeze them), and corn on the cob (can go in the crock pot).

The heat is supposed to *rolls eyes* last for only 3 days. Excuse me while I get up off the floor where I have been rolling and laughing. That's what they said last time. Anyway, Garlic shrimp today and after that, everything will be cold or cooked in the crock pot. Or I'll eat it raw. I'm not cooking in this heat!

Last edited:
IMG_2600.JPG

Limu Ahi Poke bowls tonight for us!
I've got a pot of fresh Rice steaming away, I LOVE that smell!!

Made a pot of Chicken Long Rice to go upstairs in the dumb waiter,
later on this evening

chicken long rice1.jpg
[file photo, I'll show the finished produce later]

I added some Shitake Mushrooms and fresh Cilantro or what we call in Hawaii, Chinese Parsley, MMM! It's been cool, rainy and windy the past two days. I thought that this would hit the stop after a 12 hour work day for Mr&Mrs Landlord :flowers:

Galbi and banchans. Started the meat marinading about an hour ago. My kimchi is ready to go, as are my daikon pickles. I have the fixins for:

Seafood (shrimp and squid) pancake
Sauteed spinach with sesame seed and sesame oil
Sweet and salty lotus root
Cucumber salad
Carrots like I make for bibimpap
Sticky rice obviously

And, I have a good chunk of Asian pear now that I've made the meat marinade. Not sure what to do with that, guess I could pickle it but we've already got several pickled and sort of pickled dishes. Any ideas? We have a fairly extensive Asian ingredient pantry.

Got a couple of bottles of soju in the fridge.

I may have to raid the good china for enough little bowls for all those things. Finally a use for mother's china!

Pics to follow later after everything is made.

geez, I guess my invite got lost in the mail :LOL:
MT, Craig, you're my kinda folks!
Most of my pantry is of the Asian persuasion too.
I also agree with you, Korean BBQ is best done over coals, MMM!
STOP! You're making me homesick! We have NO Korean food here in the middle of the desert! I so miss that! *sniff*

Last edited:
Banchans. In addition to the originals mentioned, I ended up using some of the squid, asian pear, cuke, red bell, with a ground mustard seed, sugar, rice vinegar dressing to make a little salad.

37240-albums1042-picture6631.jpg

Galbi (flanken), rice, and seafood pancake.

37240-albums1042-picture6632.jpg

It was all good, though I'd probably add a little more kimchi and sesame oil to the pancake batter. Plus, the lotus root was interesting, actually ended up being my "dessert," but don't know if I'd make it again since it took better part of hour to cook because of multiple steps. I have to admit, even though it costs a lot more compared to doing it at home, I think I'd rather somebody else make all those little dishes and just present them to me in a finished form so I can eat. This was kind of exhausting when all was said and done. My time line was a bit off, though I'll admit I ended up taking a couple of breaks.

Last edited:
Leftovers. Today was ROMP (Retired Old Men Playing) or BOTB (Boys On The Boat) day. Went for a cruise with the guys out to the Isles of Shoals. Saw pods of dolphins and seals. I was responsible for food, so I rode the bike to the bakery early this morning to pick up a baguette. Ham, swiss, tomato, and lettuce sandwiches. Cheese and crackers, Trader Joe's chips, fruit, cowboy cookies. Brought home enough leftovers for dinner, but everything tasted much better out on the ocean.

Last edited:
Everything looks and sounds so good tonight!

I'm not very hungry after the nice lunch with my son, but SC is hungry as he was Angel flying, and I can always eat! I brined some nice thick boneless chops before I left so I'll do them in a skillet and finish with some browned sliced onions and a little Mojo sauce. SC made some glorified salads.
Thanks for my son's bday wishes. He's one of my life's two masterpieces.:heart:

We get a United Way take and bake of ham loaf and hashbrown casserole, with some sort of dessert.

After having hot dogs last night, I will have had my official sodium, nitrate, and nitrite allotment for the rest of the year...

Well, that was the worst ham loaf I've ever had. DH and I talked about sneaking it into our neighbor's freezer, as we're watching his house while he's gone, but that wouldn't be nice. The hash brown casserole and cherry cheese cake were good though.

Thinking the ham loaf and the trash can will be meeting soon. It's bad enough that I don't think I can salvage it.

Medtran: your banchans look wonderful. Yum!

I just cheat and buy mine. Once in a blue moon I'll make my own kimchi... like once a decade. LOL.

If I can get it in gear pretty soon, I'll make a few cheese enchiladas. Been having a craving for them. :yum: I'll have one for dinner this afternoon, with a scoop of refried black beans and a small side salad......

Pretty yummy afternoon dinner...can you tell I like lots of goodies on my enchiladas and refried beans? :LOL: A day or two of leftovers are tucked away in the fridge in a casserole dish. :yum:

Attachments

• cheese enchiladas, refried beans, salad.jpg
    cheese enchiladas, refried beans, salad.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
... snipped ...

I added some Shitake Mushrooms and fresh Cilantro or what we call in Hawaii, Chinese Parsley, MMM! It's been cool, rainy and windy the past two days. I thought that this would hit the stop after a 12 hour work day for Mr&Mrs Landlord :flowers:

008.JPG

Update: the finished product, no verdict yet from upstairs, but I can hear an awful lot of slurping going on ;) that's a good thing :LOL:

We were out for the day: Farmers' Market, Lowe's, then down to the Long Island Sound/Block Island Sound for a shore good dinner. We ate at a little clam hut a friend told me about a couple years ago, Two Little Fish. Took us long enough, both in getting there and in getting our meal. From in the door to food-on-table, it was an hour! Himself said if we come again, he's packing a lunch to eat in line while we wait to order. :LOL:

He had fried clam strips with fries and coleslaw. I had a platter with two cod fritters, 2 crab cakes, coleslaw, and clam chowder. So very good! :yum: We'll go again, but not this year. They'll be closing right after Labor Day, but they told us to come next year in April or May. Few customers until "in season" starts on Memorial Day, and school is still in session then, too. We'll have to remember that come spring.

Kgirl, come on, with the food you make you can do Korean too. :yum:

Thanks Kathy Lee. There's 1 Asian market that makes their own that's not too far and that tasted pretty good, but the closet one to us doesn't. I don't mind making it since it's not hard to do and is a do ahead anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom