"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Head Chef

Thursday, 8/18/2016, what's on your plate?

Galbi and banchans. Started the meat marinading about an hour ago. My kimchi is ready to go, as are my daikon pickles. I have the fixins for:

Seafood (shrimp and squid) pancake
Sauteed spinach with sesame seed and sesame oil
Sweet and salty lotus root
Cucumber salad
Carrots like I make for bibimpap
Sticky rice obviously

And, I have a good chunk of Asian pear now that I've made the meat marinade. Not sure what to do with that, guess I could pickle it but we've already got several pickled and sort of pickled dishes. Any ideas? We have a fairly extensive Asian ingredient pantry.

Got a couple of bottles of soju in the fridge.

I may have to raid the good china for enough little bowls for all those things. Finally a use for mother's china!

Pics to follow later after everything is made.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Master Chef

Wow, you're sure energetic MT!! I'm just now on my second cuppa Joe. I'm having lunch with my birthday boy son later, so I'll report later about what I put together for supper.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Wow, you're sure energetic MT!! I'm just now on my second cuppa Joe. I'm having lunch with my birthday boy son later, so I'll report later about what I put together for supper.
I've been looking forward to trying this at home since we had a wonderful meal at a Korean place Craig found in his daily travels.

Energetic, not really. Only made the marinade today so far. The kimchi and daikons have been doing their thing since I made them last Friday or Saturday. The rest shouldn't take much more than an hour, maybe up to 90 minutes, giving myself a cushion, to put everything together if I have my timing right. Hopefully, Craig won't have too long of a day today and will feel like firing the charcoal grill up, otherwise the meat will go under the broiler. I'd much rather it be cooked on the grill, both for the flavor and don't really want to heat the house up with the broiler.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

Oh, Hope you have a wonderful lunch with your B-day Boy!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Sous Chef

We had a bigger lunch of oven fries and sausages nuggets and sallad, yeah doesn't sound so fancy , but I was tired and it filled a hole.

Then dinner tonight was baked open faced sandwich, with bacon, tomatoes and cheese, laughing cow Gouda slices for half the family and Greek feta cheese for me. I feel like the cooking Gods , just laughed at me and then ran away.

Oh well tomorrow I do better... maybe.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We get a United Way take and bake of ham loaf and hashbrown casserole, with some sort of dessert.

After having hot dogs last night, I will have had my official sodium, nitrate, and nitrite allotment for the rest of the year...
Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
Master Chef

If I can get it in gear pretty soon, I'll make a few cheese enchiladas. Been having a craving for them. I'll have one for dinner this afternoon, with a scoop of refried black beans and a small side salad. The rest of the enchiladas and refrieds are for planned leftovers over the next day or two.

Happy birthday to your son, Kay!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have leftover gr beef so will make sloppy joes and probably a cucumber type salad to go with.

Burp.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Went to make the garlic shrimp and surprise! - no lemon juice. *grumble, grumble* So off to the store I go in the hottest part of the day. Needless to say, there will be no going to the Farmer's Market today.

Grocery store buys today are for survival in hot weather: frozen blueberries (for eating frozen), a sub sandwich, a 10lb bag of ice (I am SO tired of trying to break out ice cubes only to watch them bounce across the floor and for a bonus, I can wear it on my head!), Capri Sun juice pouches (I freeze them), and corn on the cob (can go in the crock pot).

The heat is supposed to *rolls eyes* last for only 3 days. Excuse me while I get up off the floor where I have been rolling and laughing. That's what they said last time. Anyway, Garlic shrimp today and after that, everything will be cold or cooked in the crock pot. Or I'll eat it raw. I'm not cooking in this heat!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	25200

Limu Ahi Poke bowls tonight for us!
I've got a pot of fresh Rice steaming away, I LOVE that smell!!

Made a pot of Chicken Long Rice to go upstairs in the dumb waiter,
later on this evening

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken long rice1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	25201
[file photo, I'll show the finished produce later]

I added some Shitake Mushrooms and fresh Cilantro or what we call in Hawaii, Chinese Parsley, MMM! It's been cool, rainy and windy the past two days. I thought that this would hit the stop after a 12 hour work day for Mr&Mrs Landlord