Thursday, 8th February - what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
I am going on the assumption that my DH will be able to fly home tonight from snowy England to misty Milan, so I am cooking supper, but supper that can stand delays, and is wholesome and easily warmed up. I am making a chicken and mushroom pie, I have stared the filling now, and, if I hear the flight will be ok I'll chop some red cabbage and start on some nice clovey/applely wintery cabbage. :chef:

Good morning Lulu!

It's only 6am here...so at this hour I'm more concerned with the 500 other people I have to feed today! I did want to get to the markets this afternoon so perhaps something will strike my fancy later on.
I have been toying with the idea of monkfish picatta....
Enjoy the day.

Morning VB!

Oh well, I just checked the flights from Gatwick and it looks like I'm eaten and sleeping a lone tonight. :( Atleast the pie will do for tomorrow, and I have lots of soup for today. but I'll miss DH.

I have 2 thick cut pork chops defrosting but I have no idea what to do with them - need ideas!

VeraBlue said:
I have been toying with the idea of monkfish picatta....

That sounds like a delicious idea, Vera!

I'm not sure what I'm cooking yet. DH came home in time for dinner last night but was in the mood to go out. I said "No way! The leftovers are screaming our names!!!" Believe me, that's a first for me; I usually never decline being taken out to dinner!:LOL: Depending on how everybody's days and Sofie's naps go we may bundle up and go out tonight. If not, I'll have to think fast!:)

I have no idea!! AFter I take TC to the doctor and clean my parent's house, I may stop by the store to see if anything catches my eye.

LOL, I think this a first: three entries on one day's meal! Now it appears DH's flight might be ok....airport says yes, flight compnay say maybe....so I guess we might be eating supper together, only it will be really late and I won't believe it until he takes off!

I'm thawing a corned beef so we'll have potatos, cabbage, sauerkraut, green bean and corn.

There is an 18 hr bread going into the oven at 11 am. Wish I'd planned that better.

Going to leave a salmon for Ken and Madeleine tonight. I'm working and Bugs is away at camp so its just the two of them. Since I have to leave it for them, I'll wrap it in foil after I slather it with onions and lemon (Anyone ever try orange slices instead? I think that might be a neat twist.) I'll whip up some dill sauce for Ken to use too. They can make their own rice and a salad and they're set.

a continuation of yesterdays beef soup, only now converted to a beef Stew :)
and Cor Blimey have we ever got the weather for a rib-sticker like that right now!

Toots said:
I have 2 thick cut pork chops defrosting but I have no idea what to do with them - need ideas!

Slash across the meat on both sides a couple of times and brush with olive oil. Brush a small roasting tin to fit the chops with olive oil. I say olive oil because that's what I nearly always use. Lard, duck fat or other oil would be fine.

Very finely chop a small onion or a shallot, mix with parsley (fresh if you have it, dry if not) to taste and some dried breadcrumbs. Moisten with a very small amount of oil.

Press a quarter of the onion mixture onto one side of each chop. Place the chops onion mixture side down in the dish and then press the rest of the mixture on to the top surface of the chops.

Bake in the oven at 175ºC for half the time you think they'll need (depends on how thick they are).

Remove from the oven and pour in enough cider to reach just below the surface of the chop - you don't want to cover the chops with cider if you want a nice crunchy topping. If you like a thick gravy, add gravy powder, granules or even a touch of flour to the cider and stir in. Bake for the rest of the time you think they'll need.

Very easy, very tasty.

As for us, we're having pork chops as well, but they're thin cut so we'll be having them grilled as are with grilled courgettes and baby potatoes. It's cold by our standards here, so I'll get out a small Christmas pud that I have that we didn't want on the day...

Alix said:
...., I'll wrap it in foil after I slather it with onions and lemon (Anyone ever try orange slices instead? I think that might be a neat twist.) ....

No, but my favourite salad dressing is actually a bottled dressing for fish and is spicey orange. The bottle tells me it goes beautifully with all white fish and salmon. So I would be confident with using orange instead of lemon. :chef:

COOL! Thanks lulu. I think I'll give it a go. I like to change things up once in a while.

Alix said:
Going to leave a salmon for Ken and Madeleine tonight. I'm working and Bugs is away at camp so its just the two of them. Since I have to leave it for them, I'll wrap it in foil after I slather it with onions and lemon (Anyone ever try orange slices instead? I think that might be a neat twist.) I'll whip up some dill sauce for Ken to use too. They can make their own rice and a salad and they're set.

Isn't it cold for camp?!?
Yes, I use orange on salmon a lot--it's a nice change. In fact, I'll scrounge around for one of my favorites and post it so you have it for next time.

I haven't started yet PA, so if you happen to get it on here soon I will try your recipe!

And its not an outdoor camp. Its band camp. Lord I HOPE they aren't sleeping outside! :LOL:

I just polished off 2 apple galettes, so my stomach is not really thinking about dinner yet. :LOL:

I might do the same as last night. dh has a class and he won't be home. I boiled some baby potatoes whole. Then I smashed them and fried them in butter. They were crispy and tasty and probably not too good for me.

Back
Top Bottom