Thursday April 20, 2017 -- Whatcha got cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I had to do a bunch of estate stuff this afternoon. Morning started bad--Mom woke me up at 5:30 a.m. because she was trying to get out of bed...not good--she is non-weight bearing, when the caregiver came, we left Mom in bed and I had to take care of doing the morning caregiver duties around 10:30 a.m. So....I remembered a recipe that my brother and I really liked for Cod Abaco. I had bought some cod loins a couple of weeks ago...so, thawed those and that is what is on the menu tonight--Cod Abaco with lemon-parsley rice and asparagus. Hope the Elders like it. What does everyone else have planned?

I Googled Cod Abaco and came up with a blank.. Could you tell me what it is, CWS? :)

Today's dinner..
Balsamic/Honey baked chicken, mashed potatoes, white corn and buttermilk biscuits... Ice cream later... :yum:

Last edited:
We're getting Thai takeout. We're bean souped out. I'll sneak over to CG's and stuff it in her freezer.

I Googled Cod Abaco and came up with a blank.. Could you tell me what it is, CWS? [emoji2]

Today's dinner..
Balsamic/Honey baked chicken, mashed potatoes, white corn and buttermilk biscuits... Ice cream later... :yum:

I would love to know more about the balsamic/honey baked chicken. I still have a couple gallons of honey from the last time we harvested.

We both had dental work today (love our dentist, she and her staff are great) and stopped at a local place afterward for pork barbecue sandwiches with fries. We have leftovers, so I'll heat them up and also make a salad to go alongside.

I would love to know more about the balsamic/honey baked chicken. I still have a couple gallons of honey from the last time we harvested.

We both had dental work today (love our dentist, she and her staff are great) and stopped at a local place afterward for pork barbecue sandwiches with fries. We have leftovers, so I'll heat them up and also make a salad to go alongside.

I use this blogger often.. We like her recipes..

http://www.recipetineats.com/baked-balsamic-chicken/

Ross

Salmon filets topped with a white wine sauce including scallions, tomatoes, and black olives, served over spinach linguine. Steamed brussel sprouts on the side.

Oooh, that does sound good, Ross. Thanks for the link - another cooking blog to browse through tomorrow! :yum:

No cooking here this afternoon. It's 81 here now at 5PM and I already had the oven on earlier to make a banana bread. Fixin' to put together a cold plate and sit down in front of the TV. Watermelon, mango, apple, a cutie, some grapes....sliced cheddar and smoked gouda, and a few crackers. A glass of wine and I'll be all set. :chef::)

GG and Cheryl... My pleasure... :)

I've followed Nagi for a couple of years now..

In addition to her offering recipes which coincide with my tastes, she is a fun and funny lady.. I look forward to her stories of her dog, Dozer...

Ross, the recipe you linked to looks like breakfast chicken. :ermm: How sweet is it? I probably wouldn't try that recipe (I'm not a fan of dark meat), but I checked her blog quickly and she does have lots of recipes I could love. Yup, I can see spending time there, too, just like Cheryl.

We're getting Thai takeout. We're bean souped out. I'll sneak over to CG's and stuff it in her freezer.
Lucky you that there's room, Dawg. I pulled a large container of chicken veggie soup from the freezer for tonight's dinner. There is an empty spot crying for something to fill it. ;)

I bought a nice, crispy baguette for Himself since he likes bread with soup. He pouted until I said I'd make noodles - he had a taste for noodles. :rolleyes: The bread will end up going to waist some other way.

I tried to give Jr-Jr (10 mon old) some warmed up split pea soup. Got 3 spoonful's into his mouth and of course he dribbles on his chin and I hit his nose when he wiggled his head. By the time he tasted his fourth bite, it hit him. This is not my usual moosh. He puckered up so much, cracked me right up. He finished his dinner with Gerber/s baby food, vaguely yellow color and it had Rice Something on the label. I am pretty sure his parents don’t give him gerber’s anything, or at least I have never seen any in their cupboards or seen him fed straight from a jar. I think they sent along a few jars just to make it easier for us.

I grilled chicken fajitas. It was a bit chilly. I put on my stocking cap and wore oven mitts to keep warm and just flip flops on my feet, so it is legitimate grilling weather. I made one plain boneless chicken strip for Miss Chatterbox (2 yr old), She did pretty good with that chopped up along with some yogurt and one grilled zuke slice. Dx’s chicken marinade was different than we/I usually make, so I will have to ask in the a.m. what she added.

One thing I realize, not new info, is just because the kids nap, doesn’t mean we get to do so too. I’m missing my siestas this week. I went to bed as soon as the kids went down tonight, which is why I am wide awake at this unholy hour.

Ross, the recipe you linked to looks like breakfast chicken. :ermm: How sweet is it? I probably wouldn't try that recipe (I'm not a fan of dark meat), but I checked her blog quickly and she does have lots of recipes I could love. Yup, I can see spending time there, too, just like Cheryl.

The balsamic marries well with the sweetness to give the chicken wonderful flavor, in my opinion.. I don't believe that chicken should taste sweet.. Nagi goes to great lengths to test her dishes, often making something many times, changing this or that ingredient..

I understand that many people do not care for dark meat.. Our closest friends will only eat chicken breasts and that leaves many chicken dishes off the list of what we can serve them..

I do believe that her blog is well worth the time to read her take on the many dishes she offers.. :)

Ross

I Googled Cod Abaco and came up with a blank.. Could you tell me what it is, CWS? :)

Today's dinner..
I don't remember where I got this recipe--sometime in the '80s.

4 cod fillets
1 green/red/yellow pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 bunch of Italian parsley, minced (I have used cilantro--but not when making this for the Elders)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 lemon, juiced and zested
6 green onions (scallions)
some red pepper / jalapeno (when I don't make this for the Elders)

I pat the cod fillets dry, put some of the melted butter in the bottom of a pyrex dish, put the cod fillets in, then top them with all the other stuff, bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

I used cod loins yesterday, but you could use any white fish. I have also put salsa on top of the cod and then the veggies.

I don't remember where I got this recipe--sometime in the '80s.

4 cod fillets
1 green/red/yellow pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 bunch of Italian parsley, minced (I have used cilantro--but not when making this for the Elders)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 lemon, juiced and zested
6 green onions (scallions)
some red pepper / jalapeno (when I don't make this for the Elders)

I pat the cod fillets dry, put some of the melted butter in the bottom of a pyrex dish, put the cod fillets in, then top them with all the other stuff, bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

I used cod loins yesterday, but you could use any white fish. I have also put salsa on top of the cod and then the veggies.
The cod fillets were 1-1/2 inches thick, about 5 inches long. I have used lime instead of lemon when I have used cilantro.

Back
Top Bottom