"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I woke up with an old fashioned cold this morning so tonight was basic comfort food, scrambled eggs and ham.
Been there, done that. Get well soon.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I like salt roasted chicken, but I only get a whole chicken when it's under 99 per pound. So today I got some half chicken breasts with the skin on and thought I'd salt that down with kosher salt and see how that cooks in the oven.

It should be done in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm is going off and has been for the last 10 minutes. I rent a room and the only place to put the smoke alarm is in the kitchenette right across from the oven. Every time I turn on the oven and open the door, the alarm goes off. I finally whacked it with a towel and now it just beeps instead of shrieks, but it's still annoying.

I've checked the chicken three times and everything is fine, so I don't know what's going on with it.

So in a little bit, I will be enjoying a chicken with crispy, delicious skin and my ears will be ringing all night.
Place a plastic food storage bag over the alarm and tape it to the ceiling. The smoke can't reach it. You are sealing it off.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Place a plastic food storage bag over the alarm and tape it to the ceiling. The smoke can't reach it. You are sealing it off.
You have to be joking with that brilliant hint.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You have to be joking with that brilliant hint.
Nope. The smoke alarm will not go off if it is covered.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Nope. The smoke alarm will not go off if it is covered.
Exactly. I can see the headlines now..."man dies in house fire with a plastic bag covering the smoke alarm". Brilliant.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Exactly. I can see the headlines now..."man dies in house fire with a plastic bag covering the smoke alarm". Brilliant.
Kayelle, in this building the fire alarm goes off in the whole building at least once a week. It is usually a piece of dust in one or something stupid like that. Not one resident pays the least attention to it. When I manage to set off the smaller smoke alarm in my apartment, I just put a plastic bag over it and it stops immediately. In the meantime I open the windows and put the bathroom fan on and the one over the stove. Problem solved. I don't leave the bag there. The biggest problem here is the tenants removing the battery from the smoke alarm. It is their way of shutting it off or they need the battery for a personal use. So a law was passed. Every residence in the state now has to have an alarm connected to the electrical system. Only the plastic bag will stop it. Or you can stand there with a towel trying to chase the smoke away from the alarm. All ours are in compliance.

But they did screw up royally. They installed a single/dual alarms for fire and carbon dioxide(?) in a single piece of equipment The problem is that smoke rises and the other doesn't. The levels have to reach the ceilings in order to set the alarm off. So if the heating system goes on the blink, we better hope the gases don't travel through the system and into the apartments. Or we will all die. The alarm for the dioxide should be on the wall near the heating unit.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

Addie, there's just no reasoning with you so carry on in your own little world.

Public Notice people......
Never disable your smoke alarm. You're life can depend on it.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

It's carbon monoide, Addie. We exhale DIoxide when we breathe. That detector would be going off all the time!

And the combo detector on the ceiling is perfectly fine.

The gravity of air is 1 and the gravity of Carbon Monoxide is .9657 (per the EPA), which is almost identical; however since CO is usually mixed with warm air expelled by the appliances, it tends to rise with the warm air. Therefore, you should install all CO detectors up high.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thursday, February 4th, what's for dinner?

This discussion reminds me of Mom and her best friend, who were both smokers. They'd sit at the kitchen table at Mom's friend's house, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes and visiting. Inevitably the smoke alarm would go off every time. Friend's husband was called for towel waving duty. Mom and friend would complain bitterly about the alarm for awhile, then resume where they left off.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Exactly who does that for you? And we're expected to believe it isn't there all the time?

Tags
dinner