Thursday, February 4th, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had the picture for an appy. My homemade creme fraiche got a bit too thick but it was still good. Florida lobster and a baked potato for dinner.
37240-albums1008-picture6364.jpg

Slow cooker Moroccan spiced chicken thighs served over brown basmati rice, along with a green salad, with TJ's sweet onion and bacon vinaigrette. Had the dressing for the first time a couple of days ago. Wow, that's good stuff!

I woke up with an old fashioned cold this morning so tonight was basic comfort food, scrambled eggs and ham.

Pretty much the same thing here, AB. Woke up feeling a little under the weather with sneezies and just not wanting to do much of anything. This afternoon's dinner was scrambled eggs with chopped asparagus, toast, and hot tea with lemon and honey.

Hope you under the weather folks feel better soon! Nice looking appies, Medtran!

DH is drinking beer around a fire pit with a couple of his snowbird buddies who happened to be back in town today, so I have no idea what he had. I checked out the Bush's Asian baked beans, not bad, along with a piece of peanut butter and jelly toast.

Last edited:
Planning ahead-ish, I greased, seasoned and wrapped a couple of potatoes and baked them before I left to go out. Got home, chopped and steam broccoli, cut up ham, and loaded that up on the potatoes, along with mozzarella cheese. Added a dollop of Daisy, and voilà!

Attachments

• 2016-02-04 20.28.59.jpg
    2016-02-04 20.28.59.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 139
I like salt roasted chicken, but I only get a whole chicken when it's under 99¢ per pound. So today I got some half chicken breasts with the skin on and thought I'd salt that down with kosher salt and see how that cooks in the oven.

It should be done in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm is going off and has been for the last 10 minutes. I rent a room and the only place to put the smoke alarm is in the kitchenette right across from the oven. Every time I turn on the oven and open the door, the alarm goes off. I finally whacked it with a towel and now it just beeps instead of shrieks, but it's still annoying.

I've checked the chicken three times and everything is fine, so I don't know what's going on with it.

So in a little bit, I will be enjoying a chicken with crispy, delicious skin and my ears will be ringing all night.

We had very nice baked chicken leg quarters with of the ranch and herbs coating of it. Also baked sweet potatoes and green beans and ice cream!

It was very nice!

Love,
~Cat

I like salt roasted chicken, but I only get a whole chicken when it's under 99¢ per pound. So today I got some half chicken breasts with the skin on and thought I'd salt that down with kosher salt and see how that cooks in the oven.

It should be done in about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm is going off and has been for the last 10 minutes. I rent a room and the only place to put the smoke alarm is in the kitchenette right across from the oven. Every time I turn on the oven and open the door, the alarm goes off. I finally whacked it with a towel and now it just beeps instead of shrieks, but it's still annoying.

I've checked the chicken three times and everything is fine, so I don't know what's going on with it.

So in a little bit, I will be enjoying a chicken with crispy, delicious skin and my ears will be ringing all night.

Place a plastic food storage bag over the alarm and tape it to the ceiling. The smoke can't reach it. You are sealing it off. :angel:

Exactly. I can see the headlines now..."man dies in house fire with a plastic bag covering the smoke alarm". Brilliant.

Kayelle, in this building the fire alarm goes off in the whole building at least once a week. It is usually a piece of dust in one or something stupid like that. Not one resident pays the least attention to it. When I manage to set off the smaller smoke alarm in my apartment, I just put a plastic bag over it and it stops immediately. In the meantime I open the windows and put the bathroom fan on and the one over the stove. Problem solved. I don't leave the bag there. The biggest problem here is the tenants removing the battery from the smoke alarm. It is their way of shutting it off or they need the battery for a personal use. So a law was passed. Every residence in the state now has to have an alarm connected to the electrical system. Only the plastic bag will stop it. Or you can stand there with a towel trying to chase the smoke away from the alarm. All ours are in compliance.

But they did screw up royally. They installed a single/dual alarms for fire and carbon dioxide(?) in a single piece of equipment The problem is that smoke rises and the other doesn't. The levels have to reach the ceilings in order to set the alarm off. So if the heating system goes on the blink, we better hope the gases don't travel through the system and into the apartments. Or we will all die. The alarm for the dioxide should be on the wall near the heating unit. :angel:

Addie, there's just no reasoning with you so carry on in your own little world.

Public Notice people......
Never disable your smoke alarm. You're life can depend on it.

This discussion reminds me of Mom and her best friend, who were both smokers. They'd sit at the kitchen table at Mom's friend's house, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes and visiting. Inevitably the smoke alarm would go off every time. Friend's husband was called for towel waving duty. Mom and friend would complain bitterly about the alarm for awhile, then resume where they left off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom