"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Tonight's dinner is roast chicken, pilaf and roasted acorn squash.

Any thoughts on how I should season the squash?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tonight's dinner is roast chicken, pilaf and roasted acorn squash. Any thoughts on how I should season the squash?
is it whole or are you cutting it up? either way, hope there's room at the table for a small woman

Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Andy, one of my favorite ways is to rub the squash with a dash of red pepper flakes, some dried sage, a bit of sea salt, and pepper. Then I drizzle with EVOO and roast it, basting with a pure maple syrup. Sometimes I add rosemary or substitute it for the sage. Bon Appetit. P.S. I think we are in the same neck of the woods. I'm definitely roasting and baking today for this weather!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
is it whole or are you cutting it up? either way, hope there's room at the table for a small woman

I'll probably spatchcock the chicken. I'll make room at the table. You'd better leave now if you want to get here on time.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I'm in New Jersey so probably not too far.
I'm kidding of course but your meal sounds so good to me right now.
Haven't been outside at all yet, so not sure what weather is like here.
Our daughters favorite way of doing acorn squash is halving it and putting canned or jarred whole cranberry sauce in the cavity with butter dollops and salt and pepper, covered with foil and bake. She likes the gooiness that happens with sweet cranberry sauce, cute to watch her take each bite.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After staying in the mid 70s, it's finally turned more seasonal, with a mild frost last night, so I'm getting ready to brown up some beef cubes to simmer before I turn them into a beef potpie for tonight's comfort food supper. There'll be lots of veggies in it, which will eliminate the need for any sides, but I'll probably serve a salad along with. There's raisin-nut spice cake for dessert. That should do it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef

some kind of meatloaf, have pulled about a dozen recipes to peruse and while the oven is on, will cube and bake some yukon gold potatoes and probably some sweet potatoes too.

Nice to see you LEFSElover!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tonight's dinner is roast chicken, pilaf and roasted acorn squash.

Any thoughts on how I should season the squash?
Andy I wait til the halved squash is nice and tender then I take a fork and mash add brown sugar some sour cream if I have it and lots of butter salt and pepper. When butter melts i dig in. I love sweet squash.
kades
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I am grilling today. It's supposed to get up into the 40's, but at noon it's still only 38F. I am planning on grilling a acorn squash, was going to do it with butter / brown sugar. But I have some leftover cranberries, so I think I will put some in the cavities after they have cooked awhile. Also I am making a cabbage wedge, w/ butter probably some sliced onion, garlick powder and S& P, foil wrapped. And 2 pork chops. I figure the chops will go on with the cabbage when the squash is about half done. It might seem silly, I have some sage cuttings I am going to toss on the coals. The flavor may permeate the chops a little, otherwise it will make the air smell good around the grill.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I'm in New Jersey so probably not too far.
I'm kidding of course but your meal sounds so good to me right now.
Haven't been outside at all yet, so not sure what weather is like here.
Our daughters favorite way of doing acorn squash is halving it and putting canned or jarred whole cranberry sauce in the cavity with butter dollops and salt and pepper, covered with foil and bake. She likes the gooiness that happens with sweet cranberry sauce, cute to watch her take each bite.
Lefs, you've given me a new idea for my squash. will try soon and thanks. Good to see you my friend.
cj