Thursday, Oct. 6 - What's for Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Tonight we're having the classic Italian-American spaghetti and meatballs (and sausages) dinner. It's the last of the frozen sauce with meats from the last time I cooked it. I make a 12-quart pot of the sauce with meats and freeze it in meal portions. I get 12 servings (six meals) out of a batch.

Is 12 quarts the size of the pot or the amount of sauce produced? I like to make and freeze sauce but my wife likes to use a relatively shallow pot to speed up thickening by keeping a high ratio of the surface area to the depth of the sauce in the pot.

That's the pot size. There is a trade-off. You don't often see a saucepan bigger than 8 quarts. After that they make stock pots. As a result, if you want to make a larger batch, you have to sacrifice speed for volume.

For meatless sauces such as a marinara, I usually make a small batch in a sauté pan. That gives me the largest surface area to volume ratio. Besides, meatless sauces don't really require the longer cooking times meat sauces do.

I'm thinking grilled ham and cheese sandwiches tonight. Simple and easy. I have a variety of chips and salads to go with them.

No idea what I'm leaving for dinner tonight, but I have the next 3 days planned! I will likely tell the family to cook a frozen pizza or haul out some perogies. Bad Mommy!

I made a big hamburger onion pie yesterday, as well as some split peas that I rested in the fridge overnight, then added sliced alligator sausage, bratwurst and Andouille this morning to the warmed up soup. YUM!

So leftovers it is, unless I get something I can't resist at the store today.

Burritos!:chef:

I have to use up the stuff I bought to try the "Southwestern Sushi".:rolleyes:

Drats! I'm depressed that that experiment didn't work as well as I'd hoped!:(

Katie, is your Swedish nut cake a recipe you would share? I remember seeing that you said it was very easy. Thanks

I will probably use up the leftover roast and gravy from last night in way. Most likely hash or soup.

Thank you, Katie.

Our grandaughter brought us a rotisserie chicken yesterday and we didn't eat very much of it so I made chicken and yellow rice, baby green peas and carrot and raisin salad. Dh always eats the rest of the salad for dessert.

I'm beat. Hopefully will perk up after our walk.

Tuna salad with peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom