Thursday's dinner 06/21/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
posted this on the chief's bean thread & thought why not?
i'll be using frozen baby broad beans & making the healthy variation by leaving out the butter/cream,using a bit more evoo,a splash of dry white wine(which is what we will be drinking with the meal)a pinch of dried chilli flakes & i'll season with the mint/parmesan towards the end of cooking.so,not much like the original but ye get me drift!

penne with broad bean, bacon, mint + cream - YouTube
what are you having?

Last edited:
Its 7 a.m I haven't even begun to think about what's for breakfast more or less for supper.

Know I've got steak or beef stirfry meat.... But don't know what to cook with the stirfry meat cause i forgot the canned beef gravy.

morning jess,it's midday here,raining,blowing a gale & only about 60f:mad: so my thoughts naturally strayed to food.......
hope the sun's shining where you are:)!

salsa verde chicken...a simple stove top braise, served with rice and greens, corn tortillas and crema. embarrassingly good if you use chicken on the bone.

I have deli roast beef & provolone, so a Philly Cheese Steak Pizza it is:
Deli roast beef, Mushrooms, Onion, Green bell pepper, & Provolone cheese. Tin Roof Sundae ice cream is in the freezer.

Chief's bean thread got me thinking too. Have some cinnamon apple bacon ends I just fried up, will quick soak some black beans and throw in some leftover wild rice. We shall see what happens!

Something chickeny. I am thinking (this will surprise you all) lemon herby chicken or creamy lemon chicken. I've got lemons and chicken to use up.

Another salad day, taco salads: iceberg lettuce, tomato, cheddar, jalapeños, and seasoned ground turkey. Salsa as the dressing.

pasta with garlic olive oil, fresh basil and oregano and some grated cheese on top!

Beer brined poke chops (weather to determine cooking method), Broccoli and creamed corn or taters.

Another hot and humid day in SE Ontario. Salad and a pork medallion on the grill. No heating up the kitchen here.
Everything is prepped:

Tossed salad (from the garden: leaf lettuce, endive, beet greens, sliced baby beets,green onion, sweet pea pods, fresh basil, from the store: mushrooms--I know, you're not supposed to eat them raw, tomato, red pepper), steamed Swiss chard with a bit of garlic and butter, pork medallions I cut and wrapped with bacon, and for dessert, since it is so bloody hot and the AC is not working, a batch of "Steve's recommended Strawberry and Black Pepper Ice Cream" (Strawberry And Black Pepper Ice Cream Recipe from CDKitchen.com). I used some of my duck eggs and used coconut extract instead of vanilla (don't have either vanilla beans or vanilla extract at the house in the City--I know exactly where the vanilla beans are, and they aren't here), soooo since I used coconut extract, I used about 1/2 c coconut milk (I added that when I added the 35% cream). And, since I didn't have fresh lemon juice, I used lime. The "slurry" tastes really nice. I used ATK's trick--I put it in a cake pan to cool and put 1 c in the freezer to freeze. I'm about to check the temp of the stuff in the fridge now--40F and we'll be good to go.

Everything is prepped:

Tossed salad (from the garden: leaf lettuce, endive, beet greens, sliced baby beets,green onion, sweet pea pods, fresh basil, from the store: mushrooms--I know, you're not supposed to eat them raw, tomato, red pepper), steamed Swiss chard with a bit of garlic and butter, pork medallions I cut and wrapped with bacon, and for dessert, since it is so bloody hot and the AC is not working, a batch of "Steve's recommended Strawberry and Black Pepper Ice Cream" (Strawberry And Black Pepper Ice Cream Recipe from CDKitchen.com). I used some of my duck eggs and used coconut extract instead of vanilla (don't have either vanilla beans or vanilla extract at the house in the City--I know exactly where the vanilla beans are, and they aren't here), soooo since I used coconut extract, I used about 1/2 c coconut milk (I added that when I added the 35% cream). And, since I didn't have fresh lemon juice, I used lime. The "slurry" tastes really nice. I used ATK's trick--I put it in a cake pan to cool and put 1 c in the freezer to freeze. I'm about to check the temp of the stuff in the fridge now--40F and we'll be good to go.

Eek! :ohmy: It's pretty toasty here too. How about a glass of icy cold
sky blue jello while you're waiting.

sky blue jello - Bing Images

Your dinner sounds delish, CWS.

We had to run errands in Dubuque, so went out for lunch. So tonight's dinner is catch-as-catch can; mostly leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom