Thursday's Dinner 19th July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delicious looking meals guys :)
cheers ears:)!! just had pud...one of the jamaica ginger cakes & a stick of henry goodes soft eating licourice from the guilty pleasures thread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/guilty-pleasures-80642-4.html
that's a point k,you aussies are pretty big on soft licourice aren't you?
used to see lots of it in the shops up here.oh yeah,they had a cheese promo on in tesco today.had a taste of murray creek cheddar.ooh la la...very nice:yum:!!

Last edited:
SO's working late tonight so I'll cobble a meal together something from here and there. I might just toss a burger on the grill.

cheers ears:)!! just had pud...one of the jamaica ginger cakes & a stick of henry goodes soft eating licourice from the guilty pleasures thread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/guilty-pleasures-80642-4.html
that's a point k,you aussies are pretty big on soft licourice aren't you?
used to see lots of it in the shops up here.oh yeah,they had a cheese promo on in tesco today.had a taste of murray creek cheddar.ooh la la...very nice:yum:!!

I will go check out your guilty pleasures H ;)

I dont know about others "down under" but Steve and I love Bassetts Liquorice...we like the harder variety :)

We will be having some Tasso pasta!:yum: Tasso being a cured, smoked Cajun ham product. Homemade of coarse!;) Oh, cher it be spicy!

In maine, and went to a riverdriver's supper. Riverdrivers were men who helped guide harvested trees down the river to mills before there were trucks to haul them. This would be food similar to what would be prepared for the riverdrivers at different stops along the river. Bean hole beans were prepared on site (baked beans that are cooked in a pot, in a hole with a fire and buried). Biscuits were also prepared on site and cooked beside a fire with reflector ovens. They predict to prepare 2500 biscuits tonight. There was homemade coleslaw, potato salad and assorted homemade cookies and bars. All of this is served on really long picnic tables along the river. The weather was breezy and in the 70s, perfect! This is a yearly event during this small town's homecoming week. There were hundreds of people there. We parked in a remote parking area and local car dealers provided rides back and forth to the event. I gave my partner a really small town experience, and he enjoyed it.

Last edited:
We're having Greek pita sandwiches and pita chips with tzatziki. I marinated chicken in lemon juice, garlic, oregano, evoo and S&P, then cooked it on the grill pan. I also sliced a roma tomato and red onion from the garden, along with some romaine, to go in the pitas.

Breakfast for dinner - Over easy eggs, bacon, potatoes & onion fried in bacon fat and English muffin

img_1163181_0_49d9a1c4885e2a3ee9a23d4322483b99.jpg

Ever since that doggone person who I won't identify brought up soft boil't eggs and teaching Junior how to make different egg methods, I have had eggs on the brain. I am not a breakfast person usually, so when I make eggs, it's usually for dinner. Eggs for dinner has been on my short list menu all week.

Ms Moffet, yours look Perfect. I say this too, because I reserve Over Easy For Only Select Chefs At Small Diners where I can keep a Sharp Eye how they make 'em. Otherwise, at home, I go for over medium and with no danger breaking the yolks. I have to try over easy ( again). I know I can make good taters and bacon.

Hot Diggity. I made a pretty good dinner too! I made my first batch of Pesto this morning. Then I fired up the grill and quick grilled 2 boneless skinless chix breasts. Later, when I was blanching and freezing baby string beans, I saved a handful of those. This afternoon I made a quick trip to the store and brought back some kalamata olives and a few spoonfulls of other assorted Mediterranean olives ( which I knew what they were at the time, but promptly forgot), and some baby tomatoes and scallions. i was going to mix these altogether with some linguine, but by the time I got done chopping up some bell pepper, serano chile, zukes and cukes and the diced chicken, It was a pretty good size bowlful. I skipped the pasta.

Pesto with chicken and vegetables, well chilled. Served it up with some toasted garlic bread. I can hardly wait to sneak into the kitchen for Midnight Snacks.

Ever since that doggone person who I won't identify brought up soft boil't eggs and teaching Junior how to make different egg methods, I have had eggs on the brain. I am not a breakfast person usually, so when I make eggs, it's usually for dinner. Eggs for dinner has been on my short list menu all week.

Ms Moffet, yours look Perfect. I say this too, because I reserve Over Easy For Only Select Chefs At Small Diners where I can keep a Sharp Eye how they make 'em. Otherwise, at home, I go for over medium and with no danger breaking the yolks. I have to try over easy ( again). I know I can make good taters and bacon.

Hot Diggity. I made a pretty good dinner too! I made my first batch of Pesto this morning. Then I fired up the grill and quick grilled 2 boneless skinless chix breasts. Later, when I was blanching and freezing baby string beans, I saved a handful of those. This afternoon I made a quick trip to the store and brought back some kalamata olives and a few spoonfulls of other assorted Mediterranean olives ( which I knew what they were at the time, but promptly forgot), and some baby tomatoes and scallions. i was going to mix these altogether with some linguine, but by the time I got done chopping up some bell pepper, serano chile, zukes and cukes and the diced chicken, It was a pretty good size bowlful. I skipped the pasta.

Pesto with chicken and vegetables, well chilled. Served it up with some toasted garlic bread. I can hardly wait to sneak into the kitchen for Midnight Snacks.
Thank you. I like my NOT brown at all but I make mine last and the pan was a bit hotter than I thought this time. I hate brown eggs but I had to deal with it tonight. LOL

Yes, I am finicky about how my eggs turn out and are served too. At home, I have started over, treats for the kids on the first ones. At a restaurant, I peek at the undersides and peel off any browned parts as well as around the edges if cooked beyond my preference. They are probably still good, just me. I think cooking taters in bacon grease and eggs in butter is the way for me to go. Well, I don't have an issue with most other foods, not sure why I like my eggs "just so".

I'm going with a veggie stir fry (wonder why!). I might add some brown rice...or not. Maybe some tofu, or not. Gotta use up a bunch of these garden veggies.
Changed my mind--went with a grilled steak, grilled zucchini, and a super-sized serving of steamed beans, peas, broccoli tossed with EVOO and my friend's homemade curry powder (enough for four servings...). I still have a whole lot of veggies to eat...picking up the replacement part to my juicer tomorrow--I'm going to be drinking my veggies next week. Has anyone frozen fresh veggie juice? Tips?

Lens on my camera was dirty--pic turned out like crap. Hopefully I've fixed that.

A piece of toast. We went with friends today on a "booze cruise" for lack of a better term, and DH has crashed and burned.....no eating out for us. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom