Thursday's dinner, 4/27/17, what's planned at your place?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pineapple on pizza is definitely one of those love it or hate it things. I'm on the hate it side. Sorry.

Tonight was another "grazing" night for me. Snacks, mostly, but I tried to keep them somewhat healthy. I got some jalepeño stuffed olives at the store today. I love those things.

CD

Ditto on the pineapple. I don't like pineapple in the first place. And to put it on my pizza would definitely be a turnoff.

I had some ice cold baked beans. I keep a can of them in the fridge all the time.

That is one way of making plantain chips. Another way is to cut the plantains into one-inch chunks, par cook them in the fryer, then drain and smash them flat -- I use a soup can. Then, you finish frying them. The first fry just makes them soft. The second fry makes them crispy. It is kind of like twice fried french fries.

CD

You won't be making chips from ripe plantains, too soft. You have to use green and thinly slice them. We do that and make a creamy mojo as a dipping sauce. You also use the green ones to make tostones, which is what you are describing, but they aren't really what I'd call soft, they are sort of chewy-crispy is the best I can come up with. Totally ripe plantains are pretty much black with a little yellow. I used ones that were about half and half, maybe a little more black, for what I made last night and they were soft inside with a bit of crunch on the outside.

Yes Kayelle, that's the recipe.

Last edited:
The garlicky plantains are basically maduros, they just double fry them at higher temps than maduros, which are usually fried once at a low temp for a longer time.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the creamy mojo sauce is a basic mojo made with microplaned garlic, then mixed with either roasted garlic or garlic cloves that have been boiled in their skin until soft, thus, the "creamy."

Last edited:
You won't be making chips from ripe plantains, too soft. You have to use green and thinly slice them. We do that and make a creamy mojo as a dipping sauce. You also use the green ones to make tostones, which is what you are describing, but they aren't really what I'd call soft, they are sort of chewy-crispy is the best I can come up with. Totally ripe plantains are pretty much black with a little yellow. I used ones that were about half and half, maybe a little more black, for what I made last night and they were soft inside with a bit of crunch on the outside.

Yes Kayelle, that's the recipe.

Chewy/crispy is a pretty good description. Not too chewy, though, and a nice crunch on the outside. Plantains are hard to find here. Sprouts usually has them both green and ripe, but sometimes I have to take what I can get that day.

CD

We can always send you some green ones. By the time they'd get there regular mail, they'd be good for tostones, maybe even chips. A week or so later, maduros. I'm surprised you can't get the various degree of ripeness there so close to Mexico.

Spike brought over some ham and pineapple that he had in the freezer. Pirate ate it, but I have had no appetite lately.

It seems that my old bugaboo is back. I have very weak muscles for swallowing. So there are certain foods, that unless it is mush, it get stuck right in the middle of my chest. It hurts like the dickens until it goes down. It takes about ten minutes. I have learned to live with it. Which is a lot better than going through all those tests again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom