Thursday's Dinner 7/16/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can slice a roasted pork loin for dinner, you can cut a whole loin into chops. Just cut thicker slices.
Yeah, I've done lots of them.
Taxy, I enjoy cutting up a whole pork loin, but I try to do it in the morning. Whole loins are on sale right now, but sadly I have no room in the freezer.
I usually don't mind. I just couldn't face it and then have to cook. Good idea to do it in the morning or a day ahead of time.

Hi Cheryl! Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

Ended up with leftovers. Besides that, I never got out to garden. It was a real "but first..." kind of day.

...not worth the money really (even at the reduced price)...it was OK but more a texture than a great flavour and so much waste on it. Can anything be done with the spindly legs on it? I sucked them...
Sucking the juice is pretty much all you can hope for on the little legs, creative. I agree with you that lobster isn't worth the cost even when on sale. Last year, when the whole lobsters were going for about $4 a U.S. pound (roughly two and a half British pound value), I bought three lobsters and cleaned each one very carefully. The actual meat we were able to consume turned out costing around $25 (16 British pounds)! Now I know exactly what my Mom meant by "too rich for my budget"! :LOL:

Kind of a comfort food sort of night here. Salisbury steak and gravy, with cauliflower mash and malibar spinach.
Looks good, Steve. :yum: It's been a long time since I made salisbury steak.

Kind of a comfort food sort of night here. Salisbury steak and gravy, with cauliflower mash and malibar spinach.

img_1429257_0_a4fa39ac45f79f62e52cf8d0090171e4.jpg

Look delicious.
How does one actually make a Salisbury steak? The ones I get frozen in a packaged meal have an almost ground beef texture to it rather than a steak like texture.

That is basically what a Salisbury Steak is. You can make your own. Use the best meat you can afford, sauté it, remove it from the pan, and make a pan gravy with the fond. Really simply. Salisbury Steak is not a cut of meat per say. I sauté onions with mine and leave them in the pan when I make the gravy. I also sometimes will add mushrooms. Canned or fresh. I prefer fresh when I have them. You can grind your own meat if you have a meat grinder, or purchase it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Salisbury :angel:

Last edited:
So...take a quality cut of beef, run it thru some kind of sausage grinder, form it into a round steak like patty and pan fry it? I don't own a meat grinder.

Last edited:
Look delicious.
How does one actually make a Salisbury steak? The ones I get frozen in a packaged meal have an almost ground beef texture to it rather than a steak like texture.

Salisbury Steak is a fancy burger, usually with lots of gravy. For mine, I had some grass fed sirloin and a chuck roast in the freezer. I ground it together, added an egg and some herbs. Then you pan sear, make the gravy, and return the burgers to the pan to simmer in the gravy until they are cooked through.

You don't need a meat grinder. You can do just as easily it in a food processor. What I would suggest, though, is to cut the meat up into 1-2" chunks, and then stick it in the freezer for maybe 15 or 20 minutes to firm it up a little before running it through the FP. And you don't want to puree it; just pulse it until it's in pea-sized chunks.

This was my daughter's favorite meal when she was younger. And now that she's home from college for the summer, she's been asking for some of those comfort foods from her childhood. :chef:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the well wishes, they do mean a lot to me. :flowers:

Getting better every day - tomorrow is my grandson Tyler's 5th birthday, his party will be at the park. I'm definitely not going to miss that! The stitches come out Tuesday morning. Good thing, because they itch like crazy. :wacko: :LOL:

So looking forward to getting back to cooking again, especially outdoor grilling. :)

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, they do mean a lot to me. :flowers:

Getting better every day - tomorrow is my grandson Tyler's 5th birthday, his party will be at the park. I'm definitely not going to miss that! The stitches come out Tuesday morning. Good thing, because they itch like crazy. :wacko: :LOL:

So looking forward to getting back to cooking again, especially outdoor grilling. :)

:wub::flowers: Those itchy sutures, they are telling you that you are on the high road to a speedy and complete recovery. Good luck. :angel:

So...take a quality cut of beef, run it thru some kind of sausage grinder, form it into a round steak like patty and pan fry it? I don't own a meat grinder.
You can also used a package of ground beef from the store if you have a source you trust. I plan on using ground beef from the small grocery store in our town. After Steve's post, I hunted around for a recipe. Here are two options I liked (your opinion may vary - that's fine ;) ):

http://http://www.chow.com/recipes/11438-salisbury-steak-with-mushroom-gravy
Salisbury Steak Recipe : Taste of Southern

You can also used a package of ground beef from the store if you have a source you trust. I plan on using ground beef from the small grocery store in our town. After Steve's post, I hunted around for a recipe. Here are two options I liked (your opinion may vary - that's fine ;) ):

http://http://www.chow.com/recipes/11438-salisbury-steak-with-mushroom-gravy

Salisbury Steak Recipe : Taste of Southern

Yes. DH brought home a package of chopped sirloin, already pre-shaped into oval Salibury steak patties. It's a coarser, leaner grind than regular burger, though I too have used regular burger for Salisbury steak.

Last edited:
Sounds worthy of trying (I've only had TV dinner Salisbury Steak). It sounds almost like making a meatloaf (with adding the egg and all) , then frying it up instead of baking it. It sounds like the gravy is a key ingredient too. I'm getting better at making something similar... cubed steak into chicken fried steak. Cube steak is very economically priced tho a tougher cut of meat that's been mechanically punctured to soften it up. I batter it, fry both sides at high temp briefly, then reduce the heat and cover the pan and let the enclosed heat and moisture soften the meat for the next 35 minutes. It comes out great. Breaded in seasoned flour and fried, it looks like chicken. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom