"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you can slice a roasted pork loin for dinner, you can cut a whole loin into chops. Just cut thicker slices.
Yeah, I've done lots of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Taxy, I enjoy cutting up a whole pork loin, but I try to do it in the morning. Whole loins are on sale right now, but sadly I have no room in the freezer.
I usually don't mind. I just couldn't face it and then have to cook. Good idea to do it in the morning or a day ahead of time.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I grilled NY strip steaks and they were perfect. We had beans salad and garden salad too.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #23
Master Chef

Hi Cheryl! Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

Ended up with leftovers. Besides that, I never got out to garden. It was a real "but first..." kind of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
...not worth the money really (even at the reduced price)...it was OK but more a texture than a great flavour and so much waste on it. Can anything be done with the spindly legs on it? I sucked them...
Sucking the juice is pretty much all you can hope for on the little legs, creative. I agree with you that lobster isn't worth the cost even when on sale. Last year, when the whole lobsters were going for about $4 a U.S. pound (roughly two and a half British pound value), I bought three lobsters and cleaned each one very carefully. The actual meat we were able to consume turned out costing around $25 (16 British pounds)! Now I know exactly what my Mom meant by "too rich for my budget"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Kind of a comfort food sort of night here. Salisbury steak and gravy, with cauliflower mash and malibar spinach.
Looks good, Steve. It's been a long time since I made salisbury steak.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

We had taco night with the family at the beach. Good stuff.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Kind of a comfort food sort of night here. Salisbury steak and gravy, with cauliflower mash and malibar spinach.

Look delicious.
How does one actually make a Salisbury steak? The ones I get frozen in a packaged meal have an almost ground beef texture to it rather than a steak like texture.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:56 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

That is basically what a Salisbury Steak is. You can make your own. Use the best meat you can afford, sauté it, remove it from the pan, and make a pan gravy with the fond. Really simply. Salisbury Steak is not a cut of meat per say. I sauté onions with mine and leave them in the pan when I make the gravy. I also sometimes will add mushrooms. Canned or fresh. I prefer fresh when I have them. You can grind your own meat if you have a meat grinder, or purchase it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Salisbury
Old 07-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #27
Head Chef

So...take a quality cut of beef, run it thru some kind of sausage grinder, form it into a round steak like patty and pan fry it? I don't own a meat grinder.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm recovering from surgery and not up to cooking yet, so that was my reason for ordering in - I'm letting someone else do the cooking for the next couple of days.
Get well soon my friend.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #29
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Look delicious.
How does one actually make a Salisbury steak? The ones I get frozen in a packaged meal have an almost ground beef texture to it rather than a steak like texture.
Salisbury Steak is a fancy burger, usually with lots of gravy. For mine, I had some grass fed sirloin and a chuck roast in the freezer. I ground it together, added an egg and some herbs. Then you pan sear, make the gravy, and return the burgers to the pan to simmer in the gravy until they are cooked through.

You don't need a meat grinder. You can do just as easily it in a food processor. What I would suggest, though, is to cut the meat up into 1-2" chunks, and then stick it in the freezer for maybe 15 or 20 minutes to firm it up a little before running it through the FP. And you don't want to puree it; just pulse it until it's in pea-sized chunks.

This was my daughter's favorite meal when she was younger. And now that she's home from college for the summer, she's been asking for some of those comfort foods from her childhood.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm recovering from surgery and not up to cooking yet, so that was my reason for ordering in - I'm letting someone else do the cooking for the next couple of days.

Get well soon, Cheryl.

...and you don't need an excuse to order in.

Tags
dinner