"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I thawed some ground beef that I had cooked with onion, red and green bell peppers and garlic and made a sloppy Joe sauce from a combination of recipes online. I'll slice up some cucumber, celery and tomato for a side.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Time to eat 8/7/2015

We ordered takeout pizza from a local (very popular) Italian place. The crust was nice and thin, and the toppings were great.

Bummer about the crab cakes, dcsaute.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Both Stirling and I are feeling a bit "under the weather". I'm not even sure what will agree with us. I'm nuking some taters now to make twice baked potatoes.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

taxy, I hope you two feel better soon.

Ended up adding to the menu. I had forgotten about a couple ears of corn in the fridge, so I used them up, along with the last of my grape tomatoes, in a new recipe: Pan-Roasted Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Feta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...I googled some and what she is growing is not English cukes, as she called them, but Armenian cukes, which are different...
Never heard of Armenian cukes, beth. English and Persian, along with the standard and pickling cukes, but not those. I'm interested if it tastes any different.

I prefer the pickling size, or Persian if they're on sale. That way I can use up one or two and not leave any behind like usually do with a big English one.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

We had good ole taco's the way Mama taught me.

No hard pre made taco shells in this house.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'll be doing something with leftover tri tip. I'll probably end up with sliced tri tip on a toasted onion bun with a side salad....or maybe roasted sweet potato wedges instead of the salad. Decisions....
I went with the roasted sweet potatoes, sprinkled with Penzey's cinnamon. It was delicious. Just barely enough tri tip left for another sandwich tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	23210  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks CG. We don't feel bad, just not-quite-right.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We had good ole taco's the way Mama taught me.

No hard pre made taco shells in this house.
Sounds yummy.

IIRC, you toast soft, corn tortillas for tacos. I just bought some frozen, soft, corn tortillas at the health food store. Do you mind refreshing my memory of how to make those into taco shells?
Old 08-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds yummy.

IIRC, you toast soft, corn tortillas for tacos. I just bought some frozen, soft, corn tortillas at the health food store. Do you mind refreshing my memory of how to make those into taco shells?
Taxi, here's a post that I made to Pac a long time ago when he asked me the same question...

"Ok pacanis, here's how Mama did the corn tortillas for taco's. Have all your taco fixin's ready to go. I buy the super size corn tortillas.
In your largest skillet, pour in about an inch of veg. oil, and get it hot on med heat. With tongs, lay a tortilla into the oil just to wet it, and quickly turn it over, wetting the other side. Quickly flop one side over the other forming the "taco" shape. Lightly fry on each side. I can get three of them into my largest skillet, with round edges facing outward. Don't cook them too much because the seam will crack if you do. Drain them on paper towels, and fill all three of them with all the fixin's, then begin on the next three. They must be eaten right away, so while hubby is eating, I cook mine. It takes some practice to do this, but it is SOOOOOOO worth it. I repeat, those hard boxed shells are nasty.
Let me know if you try it......you won't be sorry. "

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #20
Master Chef

Taxy, K's method for corn tortilla tacos is a good way - I do that too. No cardboard store bought formed shells here, either.

You could also use flour tortillas and make soft tacos by putting a few flour tortillas between a couple of damp paper towels and warming them in the microwave for a few seconds until pliable, then fill. Just another option.