'Tis the season... for soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I had some leftover short ribs from dinner last night and decided to make a beef barley soup from them. Man did it come out well. I had a bowl of it for breakfast! Maybe it's because the weather has turned cool and the leaves are falling but soup really hits the spot today. Now I'm thinking about chili, and bean soup and maybe even a squash soup since it is the harvest season. What sounds good to you this time of year?

I picked up some beef shanks this weekend to make beef barley soup. I think I'm making it today.

I am sitting on about 9lbs of ox tails, going to have some fun with those this week. Also, have 4 chicken carcasses, so chicken and dumplings will be in the mix, so long as it stays cool(er).

I, too, get the "bug" to make soups, stews and chili when the weather turns cooler. I jumped the gun a week or so ago when we had a bit of a cold snap. I made a huge pot of chili. It was good but, then, our weather went back into the upper 80s and I had to go back to hot weather food mode.

I can't wait for the weather to be more consistently fall-like. Our soup kettle will be busy. I'm especially looking forward to a big pot of oxtail soup. Yum!!!!!

I am sitting on about 9lbs of ox tails, going to have some fun with those this week. Also, have 4 chicken carcasses, so chicken and dumplings will be in the mix, so long as it stays cool(er).

aren't they uncomfortable?

lol, i need your recipe for oxtails, por favor.

tomorrow i will be making crock-pot french onion soup. it will be for guests on thursday night. my recipe calls for a prolonged cooking time to caramelize the onion. then will add beef broth, wine, etc the next day. i don't have bowls that will stand the oven for melting the cheese. plan to just put the toasted rounds of bread on pan in the oven to melt the cheese.

I have a pot of beef barley soup with mushrooms simmering. Some french bread and butter will be dinner tonight.

aren't they uncomfortable?

lol, i need your recipe for oxtails, por favor.

Yeah, my a** is killin me!

I am going to coat in flour, and brown them off, hold on the side. In with all the fond, I am going in with bay leaves, fresh thyme, crushed red pepper, mexican oregano, cinnamon stick, onion, garlic, carrot, red peppers, and sauteing all until just beginning to caramelize. Deglaze with some dark rum, and beef stock. In with the ox tails. Bring up to a simmer and let em rip, low and slow. In the last final 10min or so of cooking, I will add fresh cut jalapeno, and that's it. For service, a decent portion of ox tail in bottom of the bowl, ladle the broth over, garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedge.

I have always done 'em kinda a la Island Style, I just think it is wonderful year round. Being a Bermuda Boy, I also drizzle with some sherry peppers for added kick.

Last edited:
Yeah, my a** is killin me!

I am going to coat in flour, and brown them off, hold on the side. In with all the fond, I am going in with bay leaves, fresh thyme, crushed red pepper, mexican oregano, cinnamon stick, onion, garlic, carrot, red peppers, and sauteing all until just beginning to caramelize. Deglaze with some dark rum, and beef stock. In with the ox tails. Bring up to a simmer and let em rip, low and slow. In the last final 10min or so of cooking, I will add fresh cut jalapeno, and that's it. For service, a decent portion of ox tail in bottom of the bowl, ladle the broth over, garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedge.

I have always done 'em kinda a la Island Style, I just think it is wonderful year round. Being a Bermuda Boy, I also drizzle with some sherry peppers for added kick.

This will be ready when?:pig:

i"m thinking of making crudite' soup tomorrow.

i brought home an entire untouched tray of crudite this morning from work (leftover from sports dept. catering), so while i'm putting up our halloween decorations, i'll dump it in the crock pot with chicken stock, fresh herbs from the garden, and some leftover trimmings of pork ribs, browned first of course.

i"m thinking of making crudite' soup tomorrow.

i brought home an entire untouched tray of crudite this morning from work (leftover from sports dept. catering), so while i'm putting up our halloween decorations, i'll dump it in the crock pot with chicken stock, fresh herbs from the garden, and some leftover trimmings of pork ribs, browned first of course.

Clever! Sounds good!

I made ham and bean soup yesterday. Perfect for the rainy, windy weather here in Charleston.

Clever! Sounds good!

you wouldn't believe how much food gets thrown out every weekend here. it's truely a sin. and the kitchen doesn't participate in something like "city harvest" to collect it for the homeless. not sure why.

i usually try to bring whole, untouched trays of food down to the overnight operations areas so they can have a snack. i'm one of the few overnighters who have access to all areas, so i do my weekend night rounds with a big cart, lol. not a crash cart; a food cart. :chef:

often there's whole trays of sandwiches, salads, several whole pizzas, and massive desserts, but fruits, crudite, and little treats come home with me for the family and my parrots.

Well, how did you cheat? Have you posted a recipe somewhere?

I just used boiled chicken, some chicken stock and a jar of salsa...added tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream after I heated it. No measuring, nothing special...really fast.:chef: The stock was homemade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom