"To Heck with it" Tuesday, July 16.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Dinner Tuesday 16th July 2013

Tonight we are making a chicken korma curry with pappadoms and mango chutney :yum:

OK, so its not a Lazy Sunday, but I don't feel like cooking much for the family today. I'm heading out to an evening shift and its warming up around here. My "To Heck with it" meal is a loaf of french bread (from the bakery), and spaghetti sauce from a jar poured over some browned ground beef. They can make their own pasta.

Anyone else carrying on the "lazy" cooking week?

I threw cooked sliced potatoes into a pan with eggs, cubed feta, peas, cream cheese and herbs to make a frittata and served that alongside some salad leaves. Fairly lazy. It's too hot to spend too much time in the kitchen currently!

I reckon tomorrow I won't do any cooking at all - I'll just "assemble" a salad around a little tin of smoked tuna slices! Is that bad? :LOL:

Hot as the hinges of hell here, with humidity to match, but this is normal for our region this time of the year. You practically need a machete to make it from one place to another outside.

I did my usual Tuesday marketing today and brought home some very nice chicken thighs. Kroger had them on ultra special so I bought a bunch.

Before I left I took out a container of some very, very spicy barbecue sauce that was leftover from some ribs I'd made earlier in the month. I put about half of it in a baking dish, flopped in 4 chicken thighs and poured the rest of the sauce over. It's now marinating. Thought about cooking these on the grill but, honestly, it's just too hot even to do that so I'll bake them in the toaster oven. Probably cook up a mess of hash brown potatoes and some sort of green veggie. We'll wash it down with iced tea and have almost the last of the butter pecan cake for dessert.

I hear ya, Katie! Hot as Hades here too. I bought some roadside stand corn, and I really want to grill it, along with a potato packet.

Thanks guys, BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, and potatoes it is! And the MLB All Star Game of course.

"Hot as the hinges of hell" I haven't heard that before. Thanks, Katie

Well, it's hot here, too, but the a/c works, so I'm going to brave it and make Greek meatballs with tzatziki sauce (I roast the meatballs in the oven) and a green salad.

Like the tweak on the daily Dinner thread title Kylie! Can't wait to see what you dream up for Wednesday. :)

Hot as the hinges of hell here....

Cute, Katie! I'll have to remember that and use it some other time. ;)

My eyes know it's hot outside by looking at the thermometer (another one over 90 - does it really matter after about 75????) but I haven't a clue. Closest I got was running into the sunroom to open its windows before the heat really got here, then closing the door from the house so I can stay inside and still see the cooling trees. At least they look cooling.

We'll have breakfast for supper. All top-of-the-stove and really quick. Himself pointed out that we need to use the last of the now-flat club soda. Maybe margaritas or dark & stormies tonight...if it isn't used up by drinking it with a lime wedge. Too hot for alcohol?

I'm staying lazy, heating up planned overs from the freezer. No cooking 'till there's more room in the freezer.

Tonight is leftover tamale pie.

I reckon tomorrow I won't do any cooking at all - I'll just "assemble" a salad around a little tin of smoked tuna slices! Is that bad? :LOL:

Katy, I made a salad today with some leftover rotisserie chicken and some prosciutto with mixed greens, avocado, tomato, red onion and cucumber. All of them were already cut up and ready to go. So no, just a salad is not bad (or we both are :LOL:).

I'm actually not "allowed" to cook right now when I am alone.:ermm: Thursday I was lightheaded from the heat and forgot a pot of boiling water on the stove. It boiled dry and started smoking by the time I got to the kitchen. The smoke set off my asthma and I am still sensitive and light headed so I have even bought some pre-made mac & cheese salad from the deli for my light meal tonight. So I am really playing it lazy! :angel:

Katy, I made a salad today with some leftover rotisserie chicken and some prosciutto with mixed greens, avocado, tomato, red onion and cucumber. All of them were already cut up and ready to go. So no, just a salad is not bad (or we both are :LOL:).

I'm actually not "allowed" to cook right now when I am alone.:ermm: Thursday I was lightheaded from the heat and forgot a pot of boiling water on the stove. It boiled dry and started smoking by the time I got to the kitchen. The smoke set off my asthma and I am still sensitive and light headed so I have even bought some pre-made mac & cheese salad from the deli for my light meal tonight. So I am really playing it lazy! :angel:

That sounds delicious LPB! (Specially the avocado - I adore avocado - but it is so difficult to find properly ripe ones in Britain.)

As for burning things..... um... I'd love to say I never do that... but my particular problem is with potatoes.... I have set the smoke alarm off a few times with the pesky things boiling dry! (Honestly, is it MY fault if there is something more interesting to do than watch potatoes boil?) :)

Definitely not! I got away with it last night. With the heat we've been having I expect to pull off Dinner Salads a couple more times this summer. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom