"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The Galloping Gourmet

was my guru back in the 60's. Julia Child was a god. I agree that television personalities who do the cooking gig have been an inspiration to many, and usually in a good way.

I have to admit that Rachel Ray makes me wanna puke. And don't even get me started with Giada DeLaurentis and her 2000 shark tooth smile.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Who was bashing?

EDIT: Sorry, my bad.. a lot of people were. And they brought up a few good points.

OK, I don't really like some things about some of the TV personalities on food network, I guess mostly because everything they say is so often predictable. Maybe the network likes that they have these "staple" personalities as well as mannerisms that the viewers will always know they can turn back to. I think although I do like Racheal Ray, she should act more like a real person and less like an actress on Forty Dollars a Day. She sounds like she's reciting a script even when she isn't. I like how the Deen Brother's are just acting like themselves on their show, Road Tasted. The way Rachel Ray talks to the camera is no way that a real person would talk to another friend normally. But I still like her because she's nice and happy, making her shows not depressing, and I like Giada because she really is passionate about the food (see the Chef's story about her). And Vagriller you're right, these TV personalities really are probably a lot of the reason that so many more moms are taking time to cook meals for their kids today. Ever since 30 minute meals has been featured on Oprah, more of Oprah's loyal followers have been trying it. I think its good because with more parents cooking with their kids (also a good thing Food Network promotes), this generation will likely produce more young chef's of the future.
There's my 2 cents. Okay, more like 5 cents, I really didn't mean to type that long.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I have never...and will never...be a fan of Racheal Ray. I just don't think the dishes she creates are that good. Her whole schpiel is she's this pretty face with a lot of energy and smiles who can teach people to make things that are "ok" in half an hour. Emeril is kind of another matter. I remember waaaaaaaay back when Food Network first popped up on cable, Emeril had a show directly after a cooking show I watched religiously (the whole basis of which was what to do with fresh foods...big black guy, remember his first name was Curtis; don't remember his last name nor the name of the show).

Emeril's show was unwatchable.

Not because what he was making didn't look good. Back then he made some fairly complex stuff, and it was quality food. It was because the guy had no personality and didn't have so much as a drop of "smooth" to him. Lot of dead air, lot of half sentences...break...other half of the sentence. There was none of that "BAM!" crap. He would never dance around the set. There would be no screaming or scripted jokes. It was just this guy who looked really uncomfortable. You could tell he was TRYING to be interesting, but it was just painful to watch (I also vividly remember cursing that channel about a year later when they yanked Curtis's show and for some reason kept Emeril's).

The very thing everyone rags on Emeril for ("that's not cooking!") is what they had to do in order to make him palatable. I don't know of anybody who would honestly try to say the man doesn't have mad chops in a kitchen. He just *needs* the house band and the energy from an audience to offset the fact that he's such a boring guy. They've had to turn him into something of a showman to compensate for the fact that he doesn't have a delivery...at all. Heck, even today, try sitting through an episode of Essence of Emeril...and he's about 10 times better in his "up to date" shows like that one than he was in the "Cooking with Emeril" thing--it's really sad. Bottom line is, the man can cook--anybody who's been to his restaurant in the MGM Grand or down in Louisiana etc. can attest to his recipes and stylings he passed on to the chefs of these places being top notch. He's just...a very dull guy that needs it covered up for television purposes.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Food TV Canada is on here when I am home. Now don't confuse that with Food TV USA. We have some of the same programs, just not them all. They throw a few Canadian ones at us, eh? Some of the Canadians ones I really like, Rob Rainford, and Micheal Smith are a couple, but it is usually not the recipes that I want, it is the ideas.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
And don't even get me started with Giada DeLaurentis and her 2000 shark tooth smile.

Me too.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
was my guru back in the 60's. Julia Child was a god. I agree that television personalities who do the cooking gig have been an inspiration to many, and usually in a good way.

I have to admit that Rachel Ray makes me wanna puke. And don't even get me started with Giada DeLaurentis and her 2000 shark tooth smile.
Yaaaaahhhh!!! Graeme ( Galloping Gourmet) was/is a fellow Kiwi/New Zealander/Godzoner!!. I have some great memories of him sipping wine whilst he zipped about his kitchen with a live audience. Man, that was really in your face, exciting television in those days. Well considering we had just gone from black and white to colour it was. What a hoot!!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #17
Head Chef

Never bashed, or even mentioned RR or EL.

I just don't watch them.

Many seem to love their shows, and that is great, and why they are still on the air.

Just don't find them interesting.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:59 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickell
I also like it when my kids enjoy watching the shows, better than them watching sponge bob all the time.
but, but...... (getting a giant cartoon teardrop in my eye, lips trembling a' la spongebob), who's gonna make the crabby patties?

lol rickell, you chose to critique the only cartoon where the main character is a chef in a restaurant called the crusty crab.

there'll be no joy in bikini bottom this morning...

(to the spongebob tune)

whoooooo'd..... rather be wa-ah-tching foo-ood tv
spongebob squarepants
emeril, and rachel, and gia-ah-dee

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #19
Master Chef

Curtis Aikens was the guys name, Poppin. I liked him too...a big bear of a man who was always giving hugs. But I liked Emeril, too...still do, in fact.
I guess I'm pretty easy to please. Everyone has his own style and way of doing things.
Rachel is the only one that really annoys me...all the bubbly talk, exaggerated gestures and that fakey laugh just get on my nerves. But she does have some good time-saving tips.
She has a new morning talk show coming this fall, and I wish her well, but I doubt I'll be tuning in.

Hey, Bucky...I'm kinda fond of Sponge Bob and his buddies. I watch it with my grandson somethimes, though he's about to grow out of it.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #20
Everymom

Constance...you never grow out of Spongebob!