Today's Dinner! Sat Oct 29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Whew, I had a heck of a time getting here.

Today I'm making a prime rib roast with the trimmings (baked potato, or maybe twice baked, B sprouts, aus jus). I'll be using the perfect prime rib recipe. The small roast is sitting out already. Three days in the fridge and it was still partially frozen. And it takes a good six hours to come anywhere near room temp anyway. I'll just check on it every couple hours.
mmmm

And you?

Have chili planned for this cold, blustery and wet day.

Chicken a la King, sort of.

Chicken, mushrooms, red pepper, cream sauce and a splash of Hine cognac.

Not sure if its going over biscuits, cornbread or rice.

SO and I are going to my sister's for dinner tonight. Once a year she prepares a favorite Armenian dish made with fresh ground raw beef, bulgar wheat, tomato, onion, parsley. It's served with cracker bread moistened to be pliable. SO will get something else as she isn't interested in this dish.

I have a rare Saturday night off, so I'm thinking going out to our local Legion Hall and supporting a Chicken wing\Karaoke fundraiser. The hall is just down the street so I can have a couple of bubblies, and maybe even croon a few.....

All that talk about burgers on the burger thread has won me over. I'm making a burger with bacon and sharp provolone. Probably on rye bread so I can melt the cheese when I toast the bread. (The cheese is very crumbly.)

Off tonight after a busy week at the restaurant. I think it may be time to visit another restaurant and try not to critique the food or sevice too badley. ~¿ô

Zhizara said:
All that talk about burgers on the burger thread has won me over. I'm making a burger with bacon and sharp provolone. Probably on rye bread so I can melt the cheese when I toast the bread. (The cheese is very crumbly.)

That's it! I think I will grill burgers. It is actually a beautiful day. There is still some patches of snow, but it is a beautiful fall day and 60 degrees. Just right for grilling those burgers!

Using up some of the very tough beef from the half a cow my MIL gave us last year. The package said "sirloin tip roast". I cut it into stew chunks and cut out lots of gristle. It's simmering as part of a stew right now. I used rutabaga, carrots, celery, and onion as the veg and seasoned it with a couple of bay leaves and a couple of sprigs of rosemary. I will probably add a few cabbage leaves at the end and fish them all out to serve tonight. I like a bit of cabbage in my stew, but not if it gets over cooked.

The gristly bits I cut off the meat are in a bag in the freezer and will get used in making beef stock.

Today's dinner is a left over ham bone, with plenty of ham bits on it, in a crockpot with Yellow Indian Woman beans, onion, garlic, bell peppers, carrots, chicken broth, bay leaves, fresh thyme sprigs, s/p to taste. Should be a tasty dinner.

Chili and rice is done but my family isn't home yet. My girl was at work and the power went out. Cops came and said the whole town is out and no work will be done till later or tomorrow when it is safe to work on it. Lots of down power lines and trees/limbs. It's 2 hours so far for a round trip that usually takes 20 minutes on the highway.

I just put a couple spuds in the oven for my twice baked. Plus I need to get it dialed in to 500F anyway.

Tonight's Dinner will be grilled salmon, wild rice pilaf, baked acorn squash (or maybe I will find another way to prepare it) probably a salad to go with this and maybe another veg. since DH won't touch squash with a 10 foot pole :wacko: Just means there is more for me:D Putting my thinking cap on for a dessert :idea:

I have a rare Saturday night off, so I'm thinking going out to our local Legion Hall and supporting a Chicken wing\Karaoke fundraiser. The hall is just down the street so I can have a couple of bubblies, and maybe even croon a few.....
Never quite made it over so we are having appetizers. Pancetta wrapped smoked oysters, broiled shrimp, and bruccetta....

ooh, appetizers! Thanks for reminding me I have clams for appys, Rock. I had completely forgotten about them.

I just turned the oven off on this baby. Prior to that it came up to room temp (53F after sitting out all day anyway) and was slathered with butter, pepper and provencal herbs, then a generous layer of salt applied, then tossed in the oven at 500F for 18 minutes. The twice baked are in the fridge waiting their cue and I've got about an hour to do nothing but wait, and steam some clams :chef: and drink some beer :mrgreen:

Attachments

• perfect prime rib1.jpg
    perfect prime rib1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 142
pacanis said:
ooh, appetizers! Thanks for reminding me I have clams for appys, Rock. I had completely forgotten about them.

I just turned the oven off on this baby. Prior to that it came up to room temp (53F after sitting out all day anyway) and was slathered with butter, pepper and provencal herbs, then a generous layer of salt applied, then tossed in the oven at 500F for 18 minutes. The twice baked are in the fridge waiting their cue and I've got about an hour to do nothing but wait, and steam some clams :chef: and drink some beer :mrgreen:

Wow, Pac, I was going to say you really like your meat rare! Then I read the rest of your post....

Sounds good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom