Today's Dinner - Tax Day, April 15th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
If you like to flambe' and your family/guests like to watch you cook, this is a triple winner. I used to make it often, and kinda forgot about it. But we're going to have it tonight, in "honor" of Tax Day!

SAUTE of CHICKEN with TOMATOES and GARLIC

This Burgundian dish, from La Varenne director, Anne Willan, combines whole garlic cloves simmered with tomatoes and mellowed with Cognac. This is part of my class "Great Chicken Dishes from France."

makes 6 servings

1 4 to 4-1/2 lb chicken, cut into eight pieces
salt & freshly ground pepper
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
20 unpeeled large garlic cloves
1/2 cup Cognac-style brandy
1 pound ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or 1 can imported Italian plum tomatoes)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 bouquet garni/1 bay leaf, 4 fresh thyme sprigs & 4 parsley sprigs
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
fresh thyme sprigs
bay leaves

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken pieces in batches and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet. Add garlic to skillet and stir 2 minutes.

Pour off fat from skillet. Return chicken to skillet. Add cognac and heat briefly. Ignite with match. When flames subside, add tomatoes, tomato paste and bouquet garni. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, turning pieces over once, 20 minutes for white meat and 25 minutes for dark meat. [This dish may also be made with boneless chicken breast halves. If you do that, the cooking time will be reduced 5 to 10 minutes.]

Transfer chicken to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Add stock to skillet and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Strain through a sieve, pressing on garlic with back of a spoon to extract purée. Stir sauce over low heat until reduced to 1-1/2 cups.

Gradually whisk in remaining 3 Tablespoons butter. Adjust seasoning. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Garnish with bay leaves and thyme.

Serve with a rice pilaf made with currants and green onions.

DH has a class tonight then will be protesting tax day at the post office! I won't see him so I have some chicken in the crockpot to make chicken joes with some veggie TBD. He can eat that whenever he gets home.

thanks for the recipe ChefJune!

we are having the last of the leftover pizza tonight, with baked sweet potatoes......just in time to make more pizzas tomorrow:LOL:....I have the ingredients to make pizzas right now, and neither of us is complaining:)

I have a pile of leftover pulled pork - so I'm going to mess with it a bit, and make it into taquitos, with some fiesta rice.

We are having leftovers tonight. SO gets some pasta with leftover sauce from the freezer and I get the rest of the stuffed flank steak from last night.

I was thinking ham, green beans and potatos but we've had ham in everything since Sunday:LOL: Maybe a grilled steak, potato salad and broccoli tonight.

the 2 peas in a pod reunite again!!!!! hi, cal!

5.gif
hi, luvs!!

DH has to go to the doctor tomorrow, because a recent EKG had something on it they didn't like. So.....

We're having fried food tonight, while he still can. He thawed a piece of boneless pork loin, and he is going to slice it, pound seasoned flour into it, do the egg and flour thing, and fry it up.

I'd like to have tator tots and fried fresh asparagus tips to go with it, but we might just have a sandwich.

Do pickles count as a green vegetable? :LOL:

I'm whupped! Was up at 6 a.m. and had a window treatment installation at 8:30 a.m. After that I was on the road until after 5 p.m. I really have no clue what to make for dinner.

I think I'm going to chop up some of my Easter Monday turkey into some kind of meal.

I have a craving for artichokes again tonight, but not for pasta. I'm going to make a couple mini pizzas. Either with salsa, black olives, onion and Montery Jack cheese.... OR.. artichokes, onion, diced tomato and mozz cheese.

I'm making Mark a simple sausage spaghetti sauce over whole wheat egg noodles.... tossed salad.

Well, our taxes have been done for awhile, and we are blowing part of our refund at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. I'm a special ed teacher and my 28th wedding anniversary is right around the corner...which happened to coincide with my spring break, so we are enjoying our 4th day here, and eating at Sante tonight, a very nice restaurant, and treating ourselves like royalty. We feel very fortunate, and we have had enough rough times that we can wholeheartedly appreciate the fact that we can do this kind of thing once in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom