Today's dinner - Thursday, September, 06, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homemade enchiladas here...giving the baby his first taste of Mexican food. Should be interesting!

I'm new here, by the way, so a big hello! :)

Homemade enchiladas here...giving the baby his first taste of Mexican food. Should be interesting!

I'm new here, by the way, so a big hello! :)
Hi McKenzie,
welcome to DC:) Homemade enchiladas, yummy and your little one is going to love them..My grandkids love all things Mexican and enchiladas and rice are favorites..
kadesma

A friend of mine just gave me a bunch of tomatoes (20 to be exact), so I’m scrambling to use them up. Since I’m craving fish this week, tonight will be Parmesan Crusted Salmon with Tomato Coulis, Tomato Water Risotto, Pommes Anna wedges, and sautéed garlic Asparagus.

MANG TAY NAU CUA...

aka Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup, served with
leftovers from last night's fish and noodle delish dish!

going to try my hand at Asian noodles. Not sure exactly how I will do this but I have all the right stuff (I think) Maybe some crab rangoons too.

Excellent idea! I'll definitely add that to the list! :)

Have you ever tried Tomato Water? I started it last night and tasted it this morning. It's a trip!

There's a recipe somewhere on the net (I think) for a tomato water martini! :chef:

How about a bed of black bean coulis, topped with grilled tuna, topped with your homemade salsa, drizzled with a combo of sour cream, smooshed garlic, and a big of cream (you did mention you were craving fish) .

Gazpacho? That's always good too with homegrown tomatoes.

Last edited:
Excellent idea! I'll definitely add that to the list! :)

Have you ever tried Tomato Water? I started it last night and tasted it this morning. It's a trip!

what's tomato water? we have a joke around here about tomato water:wacko:, what's your version of it?:)

oh, no idea about dinner, still canning tomatoes...

This month will be "eat down" the freezer, so tonight's meal will be homemade marinara sauce, made in June, over pasta of some sort and a nice big tossed salad. It's still hot and the humidity is "blech," which means our appetites are still not up to speed.

what's tomato water? we have a joke around here about tomato water:wacko:, what's your version of it?:)

oh, no idea about dinner, still canning tomatoes...

Tomato Water is when you take some ripe tomatoes, cut them up, and then put them in a blender or food processor and liquefy them. Then, you line a colander with coffee filters or paper towels. Next, get a large bowl and place a wire rack on top of it. Put the lined colander on the rack so that it is over the bowl.

Now, pour the liquefied tomatoes into the colander and put the whole works in the fridge and let it sit over night. The juice slowly drains through the coffee filters and collects in the bowl beneath. And, believe it or not, it is clear! Looks like water, but taste strongly of tomatoes!

Really cool. I just learned about doing it the other day when I got so many tomatoes and had to figure out what to do with them.

Another plus to doing this is the pulp that is left over in the colander can be pressed through a sieve or run through a food mill to remove the seeds and skin leaving you with a really smooth and creamy tomato sauce or Tomato Coulis if you will. So, in deconstructing the tomato this way, you get two tomato products that you can use.

The tomato water can be used in all kinds of things including cocktails like a Bloody Mary or mixed with a shot of vodka.

The coulis is a great base for sauces.

woo! I'm with you MRSteak - yay for football :)

I made Indian food tonight, gobi palak w/chapati - translation: cauliflower and spinach with flat bread.

Tomato Water is when you take some ripe tomatoes, cut them up, and then put them in a blender or food processor and liquefy them. Then, you line a colander with coffee filters or paper towels. Next, get a large bowl and place a wire rack on top of it. Put the lined colander on the rack so that it is over the bowl.

Now, pour the liquefied tomatoes into the colander and put the whole works in the fridge and let it sit over night. The juice slowly drains through the coffee filters and collects in the bowl beneath. And, believe it or not, it is clear! Looks like water, but taste strongly of tomatoes!

Really cool. I just learned about doing it the other day when I got so many tomatoes and had to figure out what to do with them.

Another plus to doing this is the pulp that is left over in the colander can be pressed through a sieve or run through a food mill to remove the seeds and skin leaving you with a really smooth and creamy tomato sauce or Tomato Coulis if you will. So, in deconstructing the tomato this way, you get two tomato products that you can use.

The tomato water can be used in all kinds of things including cocktails like a Bloody Mary or mixed with a shot of vodka.

The coulis is a great base for sauces.

neat, thanks...

I ended up making a western omelet for dinner, and had some leftover pizza.

Back
Top Bottom