Today's Dinner (Wednesday, 13th of July)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Since I'm so far ahead with the time difference in Africa, I thought I'd start the thread early :)
I'll be making Schnitzel, baked butternut squash with chilies and garlic butter and
steamed tender stem broccoli :)

Since I'm so far ahead with the time difference in Africa, I thought I'd start the thread early :)
I'll be making Schnitzel, baked butternut squash with chilies and garlic butter and
steamed tender stem broccoli :)
Hi Snip!!
waving2.gif
Your dinner sounds wonderful!

I don't know, but it's going to have ground beef. It's early here, only 1 am... can't sleep. I'll have to check back in later to let ya know what I decided.

I'm going to make some poutine with the gravy I made last night and some spicy cheese curds that I have. I might grill a couple pieces of chorizo, too.

I cooked up the boneless pork picnic shoulder roast last evening and will make a pork stew using the braising liquid and some of the pork. I'll stash some of the pork in the freezer for later.

hmmm, Buddy Guy...
I may have seen a little of him flipping through the channels the other day.

Perhaps I'll tackle to pirogi lasagna I've been wanting to make for several days. Spent 2 days working on the "storage" room making it a guest room so suppers had to be quick and easy. This will be a bit more labor intensive since it is the launching of a new recipe.

Individual medley again for dinner tonight. SO is meeting some friends for a drink snacks. I'll de-freeze something for dinner.

i hope to get around to making a kale soup tonight in the crock pot.

i noticed one of my kale plants has bolted, so i've gotta get the rest harvested.

i've been saving a big link of smoked sausage, and a coupla lamb shank bones for the soup.

i'll probably start by rendering bacon, browning onions and garlic, then adding carrots, celery, potatoes, the sausage and lamb bones, kale, and stock to the crock pot.

I need to make something that won't heat the kitchen up too bad, or be too hot while eating it, plus I am just really in a Mexican food mood, so I'm going to make tostadas tonight. I really wish I had some guacamole. We do have sour cream though, so all is not lost. :mrgreen: Plus as a special treat I may throw a few black olives on them. :cool:

Hi Snip! For me it is going to be something with leftover steamed red creamer potatoes (potaytoes, potahtoes!) and leftover charcoal grilled chicken breasts. Probably a cold meal. I love schnitzel, but probably won't make it until fall. My kitchen gets very hot this time of year, even though it is reasonable outside. How are you doing your schnitzel? It is a favorite in my house, and I usually like to use thin-sliced pork loin, but use veal, chicken and turkey when that's what I have. Do you sauce it or do it plain (my favorites are marsala or picata, but will try anything).

Snip, you and I seem to be dancing around each other this afternoon (here, in NW Illinois). The cheese curds are a specialty in places where cheese-making is more common -- in the Midwest we're talking NW IL, Wisconsin. But my paternal grandfather was a cheesemaker in Quebec, and my father loves them and cannot get them where he lives (in Florida). I'm not sure, but am sure someone can answer ... are they a by-product of making cheese? They have a sqeaky texture, and when you think of little miss muffet on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey, you have an idea. When I go to Florida (once a year or so), a couple bags of curds are a necessity for Daddy. Then at Christmas time I can send them to him.

Hi Snip! For me it is going to be something with leftover steamed red creamer potatoes (potaytoes, potahtoes!) and leftover charcoal grilled chicken breasts. Probably a cold meal. I love schnitzel, but probably won't make it until fall. My kitchen gets very hot this time of year, even though it is reasonable outside. How are you doing your schnitzel? It is a favorite in my house, and I usually like to use thin-sliced pork loin, but use veal, chicken and turkey when that's what I have. Do you sauce it or do it plain (my favorites are marsala or picata, but will try anything).

:ROFLMAO:
I forgot to buy breadcrumbs so I crushed up some cornflakes and crackers, added some fresh parsley and thyme and a bit of paprika.
I used tenderized steaks since I ran out of veal without noticing..lol!
Tasted pretty darn good!
My roasted butternut ended up being flavoured with maple and mixed spice. Then I did some roasted carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and french beans :)
My daughter has gastritis so I left out the sauce tonight but I usually do a mushroom, creamy dill or green peppercorn sauce.

Snip, you and I seem to be dancing around each other this afternoon (here, in NW Illinois). The cheese curds are a specialty in places where cheese-making is more common -- in the Midwest we're talking NW IL, Wisconsin. But my paternal grandfather was a cheesemaker in Quebec, and my father loves them and cannot get them where he lives (in Florida). I'm not sure, but am sure someone can answer ... are they a by-product of making cheese? They have a sqeaky texture, and when you think of little miss muffet on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey, you have an idea. When I go to Florida (once a year or so), a couple bags of curds are a necessity for Daddy. Then at Christmas time I can send them to him.

I would love to try curds. I thought I knew what they were but maybe not :(
When milk curdles it separates into curds ans whey does it not?
I make paneer, maybe I could just use the soft curds from that before pressing the cheese?

What is poutine? I know what cheese curds are but I have never eaten them. Where would you buy it?

French fries with gravy and cheese curds.
Although I am in a fries with gravy area, it was hard to find cheese curds until recently because I am not in a poutine area, which like mentioned is in northern midwest USA up into Canada. And yes, the curds have a squeaky texture against your teeth if they are fresh. I bought my curds in a vacuum pack, so should get a couple good uses out of them before they lose their squeak, but they will still be good to eat.

Without Googling... I didn't think the cheddar curds were a byproduct, but rather not processed fully into "normal" cheddar cheese. I could be wrong.

family dinner for my daughter and mine b'day. i ordered food from a local bbq place. they are very very good, been in business for fifty years. roast beef and ham. cole slaw, baked beans, french fries , rolls and the best sauce i have ever eaten. cake and ice cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom