Today's food. Saturday, 10/22/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
We are drowning in leftover Thai takeout from last night. I made up some extra sauce for the Crying Tiger beef, as DH ate most of the original sauce, and I came pretty close to the right flavor. Since the restaurant gave us the wrong order, we got to keep someone else's spicy basil noodles with shrimp, along with our original order, and got a $5 gift certificate. I have a bunch of jasmine rice that will become fried rice in the near future.

What are you having?

Last edited:
I am going to be selling cooked chicken wings out of our meat case soon, so I have been playing with rub mixes. Giving one a go tonight on a couple dozen shikon wang...with Cesare salad. Home made dressing of olive oil, anchovies, mustard, Worcestershire, lemon, pepper, parmesan...

I hope your new chicken wings and spice rub are a success, Roch.

I'm warming up a couple of meatballs in marinara sauce leftover from yesterday, and shredding some Monterey jack to top. Sliced carrots and celery for a crunchy side. Too lazy to make a real salad this afternoon. :)

Last edited:
Postcard perfect day here today. Clear, sunny and crisp. The temp stayed about 65ish most of the day. So...

Pot O'Soup. I put the makings for cornmeal pan rolls in the bread machine while I browned the beef cubes and lightly caramelized the onions for the soup.

Once the beef and onions (a little garlic, too) were done, I put those ingredients into my biggest Le Creuset Dutch oven and added some beef stock, red wine, cubed potatoes, celery, carrots, sliced fresh mushrooms, handful of pearl barley, some bay leaves, a nice dose of thyme and salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Put in a can of diced tomatoes, because I could.

Stirred 'er all up, covered the pot, and set to a low simmer. After a couple of hours, I added some corn (frozen from the garden) and a bag of frozen green peas. The rest of the afternoon was "food fragrance heaven." Just the right choice for a fall day.

The rolls stand up to a hearty soup and we were stuffed. There's lots and lots left, some for tomorrow. The rest for the freezer.

I've learned the hard way to begin with a BIG pot because, invariably, the one I start with is too small. In my kitchen, I guess it's "go big or don't go at all."

I browned some chicken cutlets in a skillet then topped them with thinly sliced applewood smoked ham, provolone and parm reg. and slid them under the broiler.

I sprinkled country-style pork ribs with Penzeys Greek Seasoning and pan-fried them. Sprinkled quartered petite Yukon gold potatoes with the same, par-cooked them in the microwave and finished them under the broiler in the toaster oven. Finally, I braised green beans in chicken broth and Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. Served it all with lemon wedges and feta over the beans. Good stuff :yum:

Attachments

• 1477185024606.jpg
    1477185024606.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 146
I went to a restaurant called Wyatt's Twisted Americana, and had their "Mayhem Volcano" burger (no bun). It comes smothered in pickled habaneros and something called 3H sauce. I'm not entirely certain what the 3 H's stand for, I'd bet one of them is "hot."

Most people who know me know that I have a good tolerance for spicy foods, but that burger had me sweating!

Ravioli made with some leftover shredded Italian-style braised short ribs that had been frozen with a red sauce plus homemade garlic buns.

Back
Top Bottom