Today's menu, 3/6/19, Ash Wed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Crawfish Etouffee

39817-albums888-picture7885.jpg
[/IMG]

After working seven straight 12-hour-plus days, I'm not quite ready for an ambitious cook. I stayed in bed until just after noon today. I've got some Nolan Ryan Beef Hot Dogs that are absolutely amazing in flavor, so I'm thinking that is dinner tonight.

CD

Grocery and Costco shopping today so it was Costco roti-chick with leftover rice and peas.

I had such a big late morning breakfast, so it was a light dinner today.

I gnawed on a couple of leftover baby back ribs with a drizzle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, and roasted and buttered some asparagus. Fresh asparagus was .88/lb a few days ago, so I bought 2 lbs. and need to use them up. :yum:

I'll be cooking up my favorite recipe. Lamb curry stew. Been making it off and on for over 30 yrs. I'll freeze it up into portions. It's soooo delicious over a bed of rice with all the condiments (chopped eggs, chopped green onions, raisins, pineapple chunks, peanuts). :yum:

I got the butcher at my local World Market to take a lamb shoulder and cut me up 2 lbs. of lamb pieces for stew. It only cost me $10.66. If I tried to buy individual lamb shoulder cuts to get 2 lbs. of useable lamb meat, I'd have spent well over $20! Forget Vons, Ralphs and Safeway. Buying lamb for stew, World Market rules!!!

Last edited:
I've had a big beautiful rib eye in the SousVide and will soon take it out to Wilma, the searing grill to char it up pretty. We're also having loaded salads and Tater Tots.

Kgirl...unfortunately, no. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and all those fun specialty markets are 4 hours away round trip. :ermm: :LOL:

Kroger has frozen crawfish tails, so if you have a Ralph's, they may have them.

You can get very similar results with shrimp.

CD

:LOL: I know I can sub shrimp for crawfish....that's why I responded to Joey's lovely pic that I've been wanting to make shrimp etouffee, and if he had a recipe he'd care to share. :)

We had salads, and mini ravioli with "tomato sauce" that was canned by a friend. Now, seeing as how he's native MA and I'm not always good with the local jargon, I wasn't sure if he meant tomatoes cooked into a sauce, or meatless pasta sauce. I figured Ash Wednesday was a good day to use it up, since we were going meatless. Well, we think there may have been herbs added - maybe as a garni when cooking the tomato down. Or there may have been wine added at the beginning of cooking. All we know was, fresh out of the jar, we would have been happy just scooping spoonfuls of the stuff and eating it that way. :yum: :heart: :yum: As a result, we ate too many raviolis...

:LOL: I know I can sub shrimp for crawfish....that's why I responded to Joey's lovely pic that I've been wanting to make shrimp etouffee, and if he had a recipe he'd care to share. :)

I wish I had a recipe for etouffee, and as much as I love cajun food, you would think I had a recipe.

Here is a recipe from Paul Prudhomme via the CIA. He knew a little bit about cajun cooking, and the CIA is not a bad cooking school.

https://blog.ciachef.edu/channel-flavor-new-orleans-making-shrimp-etouffee/

CD

Last edited:
Nice etouffe Joey!

Be careful when buying crawfish. China has gotten smart about packaging. They are sending huge lots of unpackaged crawfish to Louisiana and other states known for crawfish, and packaging them there with names that make you think you are getting an American produced product. Of course on the back in small print, it will say packaged in ...., product of China. We almost got snockered by that once. In big letters it said Breaux Bridge crawfish, but I was skeptical because of the price and the fact that we hadn't seen any frozen crawfish from there outside of LA, so I flipped it over to read the fine print. The Chinese crawfish are inferior to even the pond raised crawfish from here.

Our dinner last night was braised lamb sharks and soft cheesy polenta.

Back
Top Bottom