"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
great minds think alike pac!!
I see that Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
mmyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 673
A good, old fashioned roast beef with mashed potato's, gravy and green beans. I bought some beautiful peaches from Costco and 2 or 3 may be sacrificed to the cobbler gods.
__________________

__________________
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I see that Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,482
Got some hamburger in the fridge. I'll brown it up and stir it in some homemade mac'n'cheese for my version of hamburger helper.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time!!
Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week!!
surf n' turf,simple salad & fries.finished off yesterday's bottle of red.nice!!
This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Add me to the list of steak grillers! Beautiful Saturday, sunny and warm. Just fixing' to make a bloody mary, fire up the Weber, hang out on the patio, and grill a gorgeous ribeye.

Yep, Harry, I'm in agreement with you that the red-juices-coming-to-the-surface method works every time. The steak does speak to ya that way when it's ready, doesn't it?

Happy weekend, everyone.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week!!
surf n' turf,simple salad & fries.finished off yesterday's bottle of red.nice!!
Perfection. Love your wit as well, harry. lol
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....
no,dereks' mine,all mine i tell you!!he IS a gem & so is frank the fish on,yep,the fish counter.i think that a lot of people think that because they work in a supermarket they aren't "proper" butchers & fishmongers.well,when you listen to these guy's & see them at work...boy they know their craft for sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.
cheers bunny! sounds like you are in for a fun evening,enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat
thanks cat! sounds like you two are in for a tasty evening!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
menu

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.