"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
great minds think alike pac!!
I see that Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Sous Chef

A good, old fashioned roast beef with mashed potato's, gravy and green beans. I bought some beautiful peaches from Costco and 2 or 3 may be sacrificed to the cobbler gods.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I see that Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time!!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

Got some hamburger in the fridge. I'll brown it up and stir it in some homemade mac'n'cheese for my version of hamburger helper.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time!!
Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....
Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Proud American

Quote:
surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week!!
surf n' turf,simple salad & fries.finished off yesterday's bottle of red.nice!!
This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Add me to the list of steak grillers! Beautiful Saturday, sunny and warm. Just fixing' to make a bloody mary, fire up the Weber, hang out on the patio, and grill a gorgeous ribeye.

Yep, Harry, I'm in agreement with you that the red-juices-coming-to-the-surface method works every time. The steak does speak to ya that way when it's ready, doesn't it?

Happy weekend, everyone.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week!!
surf n' turf,simple salad & fries.finished off yesterday's bottle of red.nice!!
Perfection. Love your wit as well, harry. lol
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....
no,dereks' mine,all mine i tell you!!he IS a gem & so is frank the fish on,yep,the fish counter.i think that a lot of people think that because they work in a supermarket they aren't "proper" butchers & fishmongers.well,when you listen to these guy's & see them at work...boy they know their craft for sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.
cheers bunny! sounds like you are in for a fun evening,enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat
thanks cat! sounds like you two are in for a tasty evening!

Tags
menu