"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #31
Master Chef

Between cleaning and laundry (why, oh WHY, do I save so much for so close to vacation???) this cook declared a Meltdown Day. I was fit to operate neither machinery nor sharp implements. I had managed to trim silver skin off a pork tenderloin (using a very sharp Zwilling knife) and operate an electric kitchen appliance or two (coffee grinder in the AM and the mini-processor for the tenderloin's marinade) and then decided it was best if Himself drove both of us to the grocery store (needed a few munchies for the road AND had to use rainchecks that would have expired while we were gone) and then...on to a favorite pub for burgers. Or what could become a formerly favorite pub. While Himself always gets his burger done perfectly, they have grilled my medium-rare burger to a "nice" brown interior. Twice. They use excellent meat and toppings so it still tasted good, but not great. The flavor improved dramatically, however, when our server Amber brought the check. They deducted the cost of my burger. It was DEElicious for free! Plus Amber told me to let my server know next time I'm there that I've had overcooked burgers the last two meals - the chef will pay extra close attention to make sure it is done right.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time!!
Sounds like a winning method Harry - especially with the looks of your results. I'll have to try your way, but is the steak at room temp when it hits the heat? Or do you take it straight from the fridge to the pan?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sounds like a winning method Harry - especially with the looks of your results. I'll have to try your way, but is the steak at room temp when it hits the heat? Or do you take it straight from the fridge to the pan?
oh yes cg,always at room temp mate!!just about any meat i cook i bring to room temp first,especially if it's going in the slow cooker!give it a try,works every time,if you look in the food photo's,post#595,that's a different weight & thickness ribeye,but identical results!!
Food photos.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Fi.
And thanks for including the sprouts, too, Cheryl. I knew Fi wasn't going to
Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
How many times in November can you say "today is a perfect day". Hopefully many, the month is still young. Temps hovering near 50F/10 C, no wind, total sunlight no longer obscured by leaves in the trees. A guy could sunburn his bald spot if he stood still long enough.

I fired up the grill and made juicy burgers this afternoon. Two of them, one for dinner and one in case I get the munchies later. Sweet sweet baby sized thin sliced red onion, tomato, avocado slices and chipotle garlic mayo slathered on toasted buns. More of the same mayo w/ lemon zest for dipping in wok fired green beans finished on the grill. Finger food. I ate on the back step as I already put the picnic table away for the winter. I just wasn't ready to to go back indoors.
sounds deeelish whiska.know what you mean about the weather & wanting to be outside mate.don't get me wrong,i LOVE the heat,especially if it's on a beach or poolside with a nice cold beer by my side!!.i also love those icy cold,clear sky/sunny winter days.walk for miles with the sun in me face....happy days mate!
ps still gotta full head of hair,no bald spot to sunburn thank goodness!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Sounds like our weather a week ago. I sure hope that weather appears here again.

Here was my dinner.
and damn good it looks too!!oh boy,sprouts,right up there with spuds at the top of my fav veggies list.nice job mate!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Plus Amber told me to let my server know next time I'm there that I've had overcooked burgers the last two meals - the chef will pay extra close attention to make sure it is done right.
maybe you should tell the chef about my steak method.cherylj also cooks her steaks the same way.it works just as well for burgers,i like me burgers pink too matey!!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
41F, raining...I love this weather! Shrek has made chili that I will be putting over some refries, adding cheese and sour cream.
perfect grub for a lousy day eh princess....sounds deelish mate!
blowing a gale & p*ssing down all night & today too!!.shame 'cos in the run up to bommy(bonfire)night on nov 5th there are loads of firework displays & private parties at home with fireworks.having said that,in true british stiff upper lip style,they still went ahead.....i watched from my balcony window!!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Harry. I love my sprouts and better yest they were on sale.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, Harry. I love my sprouts and better yest they were on sale.
result!!

Tags
menu