Today's menu - Sat. 11-2-13 - What's your pleasure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had found two stuffed peppers in the bottom of the chest freezer the other day. So dinner last night was stuffed peppers and salad. SO had mashed potatoes and I had pasta as sides. I made up a small crock-pot of sauce to go with them since there wasn't much in the package.

Harry, I will give your steak method a try. I like my steaks that way too. But, Stirling likes his well done. Any tips for using your method for well done (heresy, I know)? I currently keep poking with my finger until they are hard enough. :ermm:

Start Stirling's steak 4 minutes before your steak.
Well yeah, but that's not "Harry's method." The problem with cooking it longer is that I have to turn down the heat, then it's hard to get a proper sear on my steak. I have tried just searing mine and then keeping it warm in the toaster oven while I cook Stirling's. That worked, sort of. I think I need to work on the timing for that method.

Well yeah, but that's not "Harry's method." The problem with cooking it longer is that I have to turn down the heat, then it's hard to get a proper sear on my steak. I have tried just searing mine and then keeping it warm in the toaster oven while I cook Stirling's. That worked, sort of. I think I need to work on the timing for that method.

You should put Stirling's steak in the toaster oven it's already overcooked! Then cook your steak at the last minute while Stirling's steak rests or tries to recover! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Same method you are just cooking Stirling's longer than yours, no temp adjustment needed. Aunt Bea's idea works, too!

Harry, I will give your steak method a try. I like my steaks that way too. But, Stirling likes his well done. Any tips for using your method for well done (heresy, I know)? I currently keep poking with my finger until they are hard enough. :ermm:

Start Stirling's steak 4 minutes before your steak.

You should put Stirling's steak in the toaster oven it's already overcooked! Then cook your steak at the last minute while Stirling's steak rests or tries to recover! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Same method you are just cooking Stirling's longer than yours, no temp adjustment needed. Aunt Bea's idea works, too!
ladies,ladies,ladies allow me to interject at this crucial juncture.it's quite simple tax.put both steaks in the pan at the same time & follow harry's method for both steaks.while your steak is resting for the length of time it was in the pan,continue to flip & cook stirlings steak.i guarantee that after your steak has finished resting,stirlings will be well done.simple! toaster ovens?never heard such nonsense:rolleyes:;):LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

Last edited:
maybe you should tell the chef about my steak method.cherylj also cooks her steaks the same way.it works just as well for burgers,i like me burgers pink too matey:cool:!!
But Himself's burger came out perfectly pink last night. Only mine was overdone. I don't think it's the cook's fault. Next time I'll just have Himself order BOTH burgers! :LOL:

But Himself's burger came out perfectly pink last night. Only mine was overdone. I don't think it's the cook's fault. Next time I'll just have Himself order BOTH burgers! :LOL:
crap chef then cg!!.sorry mate,sad but true.whole point of the chef is to ensure that the customer gets what they ordered,every time.whether he/she cooks it or his/her crew does.no excuses i'm afraid,especially with what restaurants charge these days!!

ladies,ladies,ladies allow me to interject at this crucial juncture.it's quite simple tax.put both steaks in the pan at the same time & follow harry's method for both steaks.while your steak is resting for the length of time it was in the pan,continue to flip & cook stirlings steak.i guarantee that after your steak has finished resting,stirlings will be well done.simple! toaster ovens?never heard such nonsense:rolleyes:;):LOL::ROFLMAO:!!
I've tried that. Mine got cold before Stirling's steak was sufficiently overcooked. But, I admit, I didn't do the first part exactly like you do yours, so I will give it a try.

I've tried that. Mine got cold before Stirling's steak was sufficiently overcooked. But, I admit, I didn't do the first part exactly like you do yours, so I will give it a try.
can't think why tax.were both steaks the same cut & thickness?i always use a cast iron griddle pan & get it literally"smokin' hot" & keep it that way thoughout the cooking period(see pics!!!).do you get your pan as hot?the ribeye that i cooked tonight was over an inch thick.took 5 mins total cooking time then 5 mins resting on a warm plate.still nice & hot after the resting period.woulda thought an additional 5 mins would have got a second steak well & truly "well done" enough for stirling!!
if not,maybe you need to change your fella not your cooking techniques,mate:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

Last edited:
can't think why tax.were both steaks the same cut & thickness?i always use a cast iron griddle pan & get it literally"smokin' hot" & keep it that way thoughout the cooking period(see pics!!!).do you get your pan as hot?the ribeye that i cooked tonight was over an inch thick.took 5 mins total cooking time then 5 mins resting on a warm plate.still nice & hot after the resting period.woulda thought an additional 5 mins would have got a second steak well & truly "well done" enough for stirling!!
if not,maybe you need to change your fella not your cooking techniques,mate:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

When I sear meats and they need to rest, I warm a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds, put the meat on it, and cover loosely with foil. This helps keep it warm.

If I don't turn the heat down, Stirling's steak gets burnt before it is cooked all the way through, so it seems to take forever.

If I'm just cooking a steak for me, it's turn up the heat, grease the pan by rubbing the pan with a piece of fat from the steak, throw the steak on. When it "bleeds", it has usually released and then I flip it. I poke with a finger to check when it's ready. Doesn't take long.

Back
Top Bottom