Today's menu - Sat. 11-2-13 - What's your pleasure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
It's 11 a.m., my time, and no one's posted their mealtime plans. Must be a busy weekend day for everyone.

I'm once again a "construction widow" as Glenn's off helping his son with his garage project. It's a big structure. A commercial-sized two-bay garage so there's lots to be done and, of course, it goes faster and better with more hands helping.

I have a day of odd projects so I put a chuck roast in the crock-pot, along with some mushrooms, au jus mix, ranch dressing mix, and a handful of pepperoncini peppers. Potatoes are peeled and ready to become mashed 'taters and there are some peas in the freezer that should be just about enough for something green. Iced tea as usual and wedding/anniversary cake for dessert.

Hey Katie, that sounds nice. How many years is it for you and Glenn now? 5?

I took out some stewing beef to thaw when I went for my coffee this morning. I'm not sure whether I'll actually make stew or if I'll do bourguinon for the family. I'll get to that later. I have to do a grocery shop today though, we have no fruit left and virtually no veggies except a few carrots and some lettuce for tonight's salad.

I have a Bolognese sauce simmering as we speak. So it will be Spaghetti Bolognese for me later.

Shrek has plans for taco meat...not sure what will come of it...or even if it will get done.

surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate;)!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you:ermm:" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week:yum:!!
surf n' turf,simple salad & fries.finished off yesterday's bottle of red.nice!!

Attachments

• SURF n' TURF 2 001.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 001.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 188
  • SURF n' TURF 2 002.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 002.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 199
  • SURF n' TURF 2 003.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 003.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 195
  • SURF n' TURF 2 004.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 004.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 193
  • SURF n' TURF 2 005.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 005.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 187
  • SURF n' TURF 2 006.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 006.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 193
  • SURF n' TURF 2 007.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 007.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 188
  • SURF n' TURF 2 008.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 008.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 203
  • SURF n' TURF 2 010.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 010.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 243
  • SURF n' TURF 2 013.JPG
    SURF n' TURF 2 013.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 196
great minds think alike pac:cool:!!

I see that :chef: Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.

A good, old fashioned roast beef with mashed potato's, gravy and green beans. I bought some beautiful peaches from Costco and 2 or 3 may be sacrificed to the cobbler gods.

I see that :chef: Beautiful color. Just the way I like it.
Nice wit, too. I'm sure if Derek could read your post he'd lose his head, but that might be a bit harder for you to polish.
easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time:cool:!!

Got some hamburger in the fridge. I'll brown it up and stir it in some homemade mac'n'cheese for my version of hamburger helper.

easier to polish his MG "B" for sure!! cheers pac,got this infallible method for steaks.works every time no matter what cut or how thick or thin.smokin' hot griddle,1 minute on the bars,quarter turn for another minute to get the criss/cross marks.flip the steak,when blood starts to appear on the sealed side,move steak to a warm plate to rest for as long as it was on the griddle.works every single time:cool:!!

Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! :yum: I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....

Last edited:
You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.

surf n' turf saturday!!before you say anything pac,those ARE prawns mate;)!!.the steaks are between 12 & 14ozs each as a size comparison.so,i'm in the hallowed halls of tesco,seeking inspiration for tonights repast when i heard the mating call of the lesser spotted average british shopper at the butchery counter"oooh no loove,they're all dark & fatty,'aven't you got any nice fresh ones?"music to my ears,fellow gastronauts.i sidled over to said butchery where derek was on duty.derek has got a beautifully restored 40 year old MG "B" GT.a man of taste,perfect for the meat counter.i caught derek's eye....cleaned off the fluff,polished it & handed it back to him.upon replacing said optic in it's socket,derek said"i was hoping you'd be in harry,i've been keeping an eye out for you:ermm:" "knew you'd like these"....two beautifully dark red & marbled 14oz 28 day dry aged welsh rib end,ribeyes.he said "nobody will buy them 'cos of the colour & marbling,if you take both i'll mark them down a few quid & chuck in a few prawns too".derek is a gentleman too.i think i'll make ribeye stroganoff with the other one,later this week:yum:!!

This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat

Add me to the list of steak grillers! :LOL: Beautiful Saturday, sunny and warm. Just fixing' to make a bloody mary, fire up the Weber, hang out on the patio, and grill a gorgeous ribeye. :)

Yep, Harry, I'm in agreement with you that the red-juices-coming-to-the-surface method works every time. The steak does speak to ya that way when it's ready, doesn't it? :)

Happy weekend, everyone.

Perfection. :) Love your wit as well, harry. lol :LOL:

Now, Harry, you just gotta cut this out! :yum: I want a Derek.

After the potato soup thread, I'm making, drumroll please.....potato soup!

I'm including the sweet potatoes I dug up from our ornamental vines. DH is certain they're poisonous, but multiple sources state that they're perfectly safe to eat. We'll see....
no,dereks' mine,all mine i tell you:LOL:!!he IS a gem & so is frank the fish on,yep,the fish counter.i think that a lot of people think that because they work in a supermarket they aren't "proper" butchers & fishmongers.well,when you listen to these guy's & see them at work...boy they know their craft for sure!!

You're killin' me again Harry! That steak is perfection!

We are going out to Sup, tonight. We are meeting 3 other couple at a Pub in Canada to celebrate "in- between" a couple of birthdays and an anniversary. Then we will retire to one couple's home for dessert and an evening of either Rummoli or Poker (hostess wasn't sure)
We had to make really early reservations, as this pub is quite popular, and it's "Hockey Night in Canada" so it will be jammed with fans to watch the game. Last time we were there, there was a line up out the door as we were leaving around 8:00.
cheers bunny:)! sounds like you are in for a fun evening,enjoy:cool:!

This is so very nice! I do like of to see of these photos.

DA shall be having a broiled sirloin steak, sauerkraut and nice seasoned black eye peas.

I shall have scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, and a suisse mocha milkshake.

With love,
~Cat
thanks cat:)! sounds like you two are in for a tasty evening:yum:!

Back
Top Bottom