"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Ok Sizzlin, here's my menu for this week:

Pot roast and veggies
leftovers the next day
Sea scallops, veggies, maybe rice
chicken, mashed potatoes, veggie
veggie chili, biscuits
spaghetti and meatballs
pork chops, scalloped potatoes, veggie

Hope that inspires you a little

Old 04-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #12
Master Chef

Do I ever get in these funks? I had a menopausal moment yesterday. I got up, got all my clothes together to go to the gym. I looked at the stack, realized it was an entire load of laundry. My Friday routine is grocery day, and usually, honest-to-God, I love it. I wake, go to the gym, clean up, go run errands, and grocery shop. Then in the afternoon I read to some freinds who are .. well, one is blind,the other has severe arthritis and cannot move. Then I socialize with freinds over "happy hour" and dinner. But I swear, I looked at the stack of clothes and just had it. Now, of course, I'll have to grocery shop today. I live in a tourist town, so when I get in a grocery funk I usually put on my walking shoes and hit my local gourmet shops. Because it is so small, I often say, "hey, I'm looking for inspiration" and sometimes get help from the owners. I also collect cookbooks, and will go upstairs to the cookbook "library" and bring down a half dozen books and mags (I have 25 years of Gourmets up there), and browse. This is a lot more personal info than you need! But I wanted to let you know that no matter how much you love to cook, you get these times when you're in a funk. To me the best solution is ... a pizza. Frozen or called in. After that, you're ready to cook again!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
Master Chef

Oh wow.........thank you guys for such great suggestions. Well I decided to just go for it and bought a whole bunch of groceries........hee hee 75.00 over budget but thats because I didn't eat before I went and my littlest one went with me. Oh well it won't go to waste. I bought loads of veggies, pastas, cheeses, etc...... so I'll be able to whip up so many different things on a whim. I've been pouring over my vast collection of cookbooks. I made salmon and shrimp last night, I'm never fixed this at home before besides salmon patties so it was a great change. Unfort. I didn't care for the salmon all that much pan seared. I wanted it on the grill but it was too cold out there. Oh well..........I'll give it a try again maybe next month. I wanted to use one of the recipes I'd requested previously for salmon but I couldn't find my print out and hubby was trying to get my computer up and running so he was online.

Thanks again everyone! I knew I could count on you guys and its nice to know I'm not the only one who has these moments.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
Sous Chef

We have two grocery stores here and they both have sale circulars in the Sunday newspaper. If nothing there is inspiring I look in my freezer to see what has been there longest. It's going to be cold here for a few more weeks, so I'm having things like French Onion Soup and chili. Today it's going to be Chicken Cordon Bleu, asparagus and Fontina wrapped in bacon and then carrot cake for dessert. It must be contagious because I'm also in the mood for pork chops in mushroom soup.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #15
Master Chef

i don't have any recipe ideas, but here's what i do:
(mind you, it's just me i'm cooking for)
i buy 1 tuna steak or 1 portion of salmon and a pc. of whitefish, a nice steak, have the butcher wrap me up 1 chicken breast half, buy crab legs, veal for scallopine, lamb rib chops (these 3 are usuallly packaged for 1 person in the local stores) and buy ground beef in a small quantity, etc. and freeze it all or almost all of it, anyhow.
then i comb the aisles for things i usually like, like fresh produce, cheeses, ethnic foods, a variety of pastas and breads/rolls (the birds eat the leftovers), and pesto or tomato sauce for marinara, deli items and smoked salmon, bagels and cream cheese, cereal, etc. i don't leave the store without heavy cream cause it is so versatile. i keep little cans of veggies on hand for soups.
with the basics on hand (the meats/pastas/breads) you have the basis for just about any meal on a whim.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I'm like luvs. I keep lots of basics either frozen, or canned, that I can work with. Luckily, I have a BIG pantry. I'm still working on stocking it.

I tend to think of "grab bag" contests that a lot of cooks I know have entered (think Iron Chef). You get a bag full of "mystery" ingredients, and have to cook from the hip. My usual methods are take a given piece of meat, and what can I do with it? Usually, "grill it" and "blacken it" are right up at the top, as they are fairly easy, and don't require a lot of effort or other ingredients. After that, pan-fry, and saute. I don't tend to saute much anymore, since with all the kids, I'd have to have several saute pans running at any given time, and I need burner space for sides.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks guys........again great tips that I will def. use.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:23 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I do the Mushroom Gravy, Rice and Pork or Chicken. I top it off with pineapple, celery and green onions. Gives it a little lift!
Charlie