"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Master Chef

Tomorrow Grocery Day

Not sure what the heck I'm going to plan for the menus for the next 2 weeks. I've pulled out cookbooks but nothing is clicking for some reason.
Anyone else get in these funks? Anyone care to inspire me with something easy and flavorful?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've been craving some plain old boring pork chops with mushroom soup poured over them and rice under it all. Easy and tasty.

Or how about some chicken breasts or thighs stuffed with swiss cheese and bacon?

BLT sandwiches??

Clam chowder with extra clams and potatoes?

PIZZA!??

Breakfast for dinner? French toast, pancakes??

Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Master Chef

Oh I haven't had pork chops with mushroom gravy for awhile......that sounds good. I'll wait for the BLT's till tomato season is in full bloom......don't like hot house ones.........but oh does a BLT sound good. I fixed breakfast for supper about 4 nights ago........2 times in a week I think hubby would think I was off my rocker. Thanks for some inspiration!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #4

SizzininIn, why don't you see what is in season, fresh, and on sale in the store?

That way you get the best produce and the best prices. Your menu issues will resolve themselves.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Only problem with that Choc is I end up spending way too much because I haven't thought out a menu and just buy this and that and in the end I have to make several more trips because I need something else. I guess I could just go and take a look and then come back and think over what all I could make. I could take a look at the meat section also. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sizzlin - what about one night a nice pasta salad:

rotini
cukes
cherry tomatoes
carrots
yellow pepper
baby shrimp
poppyseed dressing

and cornbread

I'm definatley going to make this next week. I use the small shrimp and small scallops when I make this. And I make my Cheesy Spoon Bread to go with it:

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1
1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from green chilies if using whole ones and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Tobasco or cayenne for a bite.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Not sure what the heck I'm going to plan for the menus for the next 2 weeks. I've pulled out cookbooks but nothing is clicking for some reason.
Anyone else get in these funks? Anyone care to inspire me with something easy and flavorful?
Sizzlininin,
one of our favorites, is really easy, I but about a pound of roast beef at the deli, have them almost shave it, then I get some nice French rolls, several pkgs. of Knorr's Au Jus sauce and fixings for a tossed green..Mix of the gravy for the Au Jus throw in the meat, cut and butter the rolls, pop under the broiler serve with the salad and I'm outta there... Hope this helps a little.
kadesma
Old 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

I go through spurts of cooking one way or another and sometimes also get into a grand funk about what sounds good for dinner. Currently I am dining nightly with Julia Child (her cook book The Way To Cook). When that loses its appeal, I move on to another great cookbook of a favorite chef and concentrate on recipes in their book. Sometimes I feel very creative and put things together myself. I made a pork chop the other night with a creamy mushroom and shallot sauce over it, made with sour cream. It was wonderful. Tonight using her recipe of broiling a bonless skinless chicken breast that has marinated in olive oil and melted butter with fresh chopped sage, rosemary, thyme, and flat leaf parsley. Having big vegetable and lettuce salad with tomatoe basil dressing.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Master Chef

I've got 5 grocery stores (within 2-2.5 miles from home) that I get circulars from each week - usually 4 come in the mail on Tue (their prices run Wed-Tue) and the other on Wed (their prices are Thur - Wed). I've also got a Walgreen's and a Dollar Store that have some canned goods that are sometimes on sale at better prices than the grocery stores. Since all but 1 are on the same street (the other is on my way back home on the freeway) it's not a problem and I'm not burning much gas ... I just make a loop.

I'll check out what is on sale and then plan my menu from that, and make my shopping list. Then shop on Fri, Sat or Sun morning. I shop by my list ... not like I used to do by wandering up and down the isles and grabbing anything that looked good at the moment. I've easily cut my grocery bill 25-50 percent this way. Plus - it helps me figure out my menu for the week, by starting with the ingredients and then figuring out what to make from them.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Of course you could always go out to eat and order a lot of food, get doggie bags and then you've taken care of two meals. Too expensive to do often but once in a while it's a good change of pace.