Tonight's Dinner - 6-9-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some chicken breasts in the fridge to use up, so I stuffed them with spinach and cream cheese. This dinner is like a multi-course meal. There's salad, meat, veggie, and a cheese course all on one plate. Now all I need is a glass of wine. :)

img_1469182_0_4ff033db5dcb1ddda64d9135f2dad31f.jpg

Southwest lobster rolls and homemade french fried. Lobster was grilled with habanero butter and tossed in same after being cut up. Rolls were toasted with garlic butter. Avocado and a cilantro cabbage slaw as sandwich condiments.

Spent the day visiting my BIL at hospice so dinner was a quick sandwich and l/o pasta salad.

Ham, asparagus and the first local strawberries with whipped cream.

I tried the shake/jar method of whipping the cream and ended up with a pourable sauce. I'm not sure if it is because I used Splenda or a warm jar. I did use "old" cream so it should have whipped easily.

Maybe I'm just too old to shake it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Tonight I marinated pork chops with rice vinegar, peanut oil, Chinese Five-Spice Powder, chile-garlic sauce and black pepper and DH grilled them.

I also tossed bell peppers and red onions with Chinese seasonings cooked those in the grill basket. And I spiralized English cucumber and zucchini, made a Chinese-inspired dressing and chilled it for a salad. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 1465525863864.jpg
    1465525863864.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 165
We had fish tacos - I bought cod pieces at Trader Joe's for $3.99/lb. What a deal! Sides were refried beans from Aldi's topped with a little co-jack, and homemade mango-pineapple salsa. Wanted to add a fresh peach to that, but all I saw in the store were two-tone bocce balls. :ermm:

Himself kept saying "mmmmm" so I guess he liked it! The cod had a bit too strong of a fish taste to me tonight. Guess I'm not a cheap date when it comes to cod since any frozen one tastes "fishy". Next time I'll make these with fresh cod, or flounder, or I might give tilapia a chance again. OR just toss more Penzeys Arizona Dreaming on the cod before I broil it. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-06-09 22.39.24.jpg
    2016-06-09 22.39.24.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 191
I make spaghetti with a meat sauce, green beans on the side, and garlic bread. I tossed some fresh garlic, diced bell pepper into the cast iron along with the hamburger. Served on a bed of Barilla spaghetti and some parmesan cheese. I used Del Grosso Roasted Garlic pasta sauce. Local market had it on sale for a buck a jar.

and what does that mean? They were lobster, Florida lobster hand caught by a friend to be exact.
I was joking, as the southwest U.S. is not known for lobster (or any other seafood).

My own feeling is that if the water is warm enough in August to swim in, it's not nearly cold enough to produce good lobster. I might be starting a "where does the best lobster come from" debate, but that might be kind of fun, with the right attitude.

With wind gusts to 35 mph, another day too windy to grill. Indoor meal tonight. New recipe - spicy honey garlic chicken in the pressure cooker, brown basmati rice, broc.

Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken in the Pressure Cooker
The sauce was OK, but not worth repeating. I made a 2/3 size batch of sauce, as there was less than 2 lbs. of chicken. I used about a tablespoon of sriracha, as a teaspoon would get lost with the sugar in the ketchup and honey. Also added some ginger. Still, it was mostly just sweet without much complexity.

The chicken thighs come out so, so tender in the pressure cooker. I'm going to have to hunt for other recipes using chicken thighs.

I was joking, as the southwest U.S. is not known for lobster (or any other seafood).

My own feeling is that if the water is warm enough in August to swim in, it's not nearly cold enough to produce good lobster. I might be starting a "where does the best lobster come from" debate, but that might be kind of fun, with the right attitude.

Just in case you are not aware, Florida lobster and the lobster in your area are quite different. Ours have no claws and are more like huge shrimp. The taste of each is also quite different and I wouldn't use interchangeably. BTW, spiny lobster are also found all along the Gulf Coast, which includes Texas, which I believe is considered part of the Southwest. As far as water warm enough to swim in, in our part of Florida try November, even December sometimes, even for those of us who live here, not to mention the tourists who swim in January when the air temp is warm as well.

Pictures look lovely!
Tonight I am bringing home some Italian imported food from a local Sicilian restaurant. Not sure exactly what it's gonna be but I will post again when I have been there. Nothing beats my Sicilian mother's cooking though, it's something special indeed.

Back
Top Bottom