Tonight's Eats - 7-23-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
Please excuse the bull in the china shop.

Tonight's dinner will be chili.

Yeah it's 100 degrees outside but I'm doing it in the crock pot. ;)

Oh look I have dried red beans.

I also have turkey stock I haven't frozen yet and it's been the fridge for awhile.

Well let's throw the beans and stock into the pot.

You know there is that onion that needs to be used.

Let's toss that in too.

Onion needs garlic. Naaa.... I don't want to mess with chopping fresh garlic so I'll just add garlic powder.

Hmmmm... Sorta sounds like chili so lets add some chili powder and cumin.
What the heck cut up that dried chili you've had forever. I think it's a ghost pepper.
You like heat so no problem.

You are going to grind 15 pounds of chuck so toss in a pound of that before you freeze the rest.

Yeah chunks are good but you're grinding so just go for it.

Hmmm... It needs salt and pepper after a taste.

And more cumin because that defines chili for me.

And just because I can I'll give it a few drops of liquid smoke.

You know there is a can of diced tomatoes in the pantry.

Add them too. After all it's only chili and no batch is ever the same.:LOL:

After all it's only chili and no batch is ever the same.:LOL:

I like the way you think Zaqut. :punk:

It's really hot here to but I'm also tired of cold foods. In my case, I'm breaking out my little Nesco roaster with a piece of pork shoulder. There's so many good choices with a pork shoulder and I have a couple of hours before I start it. I don't think there's anything we like better than Kalua Pig and although we recently had that, I'll likely do it again.

It's really hot here to but I'm also tired of cold foods. In my case, I'm breaking out my little Nesco roaster with a piece of pork shoulder. There's so many good choices with a pork shoulder and I have a couple of hours before I start it. I don't think there's anything we like better than Kalua Pig and although we recently had that, I'll likely do it again.

Kayelle, this is a pressure-cooker recipe, but of course you can adapt it. I thought it was really good. I was hesitant to add the optional star anise, but I think it really added a lot to the flavor. Just another option ;)

http://flolum.com/instant-pot-smart-asian-braised-pork-shoulder/

Be very careful in liking how I think Kayelle. Most of the time I don't think but just spew.
It's gotten me into more trouble then I care to think about. ;)

Breaking out the smaller appliances in hot weather is the way to go IMHO.

The less BTU's used in a heat wave to cook equals less BTU's used to keep things cool.

Ribs that Craig had previously BBQ'd that we vacu-packed and froze. They just need to be heated and sauced (or not). Bacon-horseradish potato salad and deviled eggs done 2 ways, plain for me and with jalapenos for Craig.

Clams & Shrimp in tomato broth.

img_1473643_0_18bbe6a6170483ad80092caf85ce01dd.jpg

Looks good GG, but I'll be leaving out the star anise. I'm not a fan of anything remotely like licorice, including fennel.

Just curious. Have you tried it? I don't like licorice much, either, but star anise doesn't taste like that to me. I hesitated to use it because I thought it might, but I thought it had that elusive flavor of good Chinese.

Maybe you could try infusing it into a small amount of broth or tea, just to check it out. I was truly surprised that I liked it.

Last edited:
Yep, I've tried it GG, but I admit it's been a very long time. Good idea to maybe try it in a broth to see if my tastes have changed, providing one of my local cooking friends wants to donate one to me.;)
In the past the only good thing I had to say about them is they're cute. :LOL:

Yep, I've tried it GG, but I admit it's been a very long time. Good idea to maybe try it in a broth to see if my tastes have changed, providing one of my local cooking friends wants to donate one to me.;)
In the past the only good thing I had to say about them is they're cute. :LOL:

Hee hee! Cute for sure. I was surprised that I liked chai tea, too. I'm not a tea drinker, but I love the spices in chai.

It was fabulous tonight! However, i may have to pop for that special kaiwe liquid smoke from Hawaii.

Great sounding dinners! Joey, that looks delish.

I was happy with just a few cheese and cracker nibbles for dinner this evening - was still pretty full from a late lunch with a friend. I had a shrimp, mango and avocado salad on spinach and other mixed greens, with a light citrus vinaigrette dressing. Boy, was that good. :yum:

Looks good GG, but I'll be leaving out the star anise. I'm not a fan of anything remotely like licorice, including fennel.
I absolutely detest licorice, but I find a bit of fennel or star anise can be really enhance some dishes. What would Italian sausage be without a bit of fennel?

We had ABTs and pasta salad served with Grolsch Premium Lager and akvavit. Yeah, that was yummy.

Attachments

• IMG_20160723_210404.jpg
    IMG_20160723_210404.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20160723_210448.jpg
    IMG_20160723_210448.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 121
Admit it, Kayelle, you're "subject to change" just to keep Souschef on his toes. :LOL:

Did two-store grocery shopping on Saturday and came home to no leftovers. :ohmy: Since I almost never feel like cooking after wandering a large store or two full of food, Himself played delivery driver and picked up a steak bomb calzone from a local pizza place. I had planned on getting one of those sometime this month anyway, since I had a $2 off coupon from the back of a grocery register tape. The thing cost us all of $6.99, plus tax. Not bad for the two of us!

Back
Top Bottom