Tonite's Dinner w/ Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
Wednesday is Dinner night for the girlfriend, took some photos. Unfortunately i'm not the best in the world with a digital camera. The pictures don't really do the meal justice but you get the idea... Started off by De-boning a duck for the first time. It was actually alot easier then i anticipated. The video posted in the meat section on how to do it was an enormous help...

Deboned Duck! :chef:

img_496532_0_4a9894b23b024adee64e10effb8c9a99.jpg

Appetizer
Vegetable Fritters

img_496532_1_dad0389d8839d637375222bacfee18c7.jpg

Pasta
Fusilli w/ Asparagus and Potatoes

img_496532_2_a11e88b75a5481068f6611d0896cf2a9.jpg

Meat
Pan Seared Duck Breast

img_496532_3_798ac0e179cc3bf68d2ce673d8db0f85.jpg

Dessert :chef:
Coffee Bon-Bons with hazelnuts

img_496532_4_3cc1f78df4b41c4dffaa553335938164.jpg

Everything turned out really well. The veggie fritters were a crowd pleaser and the duck came out so good I served it as is instead of using a sauce i'd made. The dessert was suprisingly good as well, i'll definetly be making it in the future.

YUM! I have an other sauce idea for you for your duck breast. You can find a jar of Lingonberries in the jelly and jam section. Take some out and squeeze in some lime, add some horseradish, and some fresh parsley - serve on the side or "gently" top the breasts. What was the sauce you had planned and didn't use? Us inquiring foodie minds want to know! :LOL:

Nice job on the pics and the meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did you do with the rest of the duck? Did you tempura the veggies? Can I come nibble out of your refrigerator right now? :blush:

YUM! I have an other sauce idea for you for your duck breast. You can find a jar of Lingonberries in the jelly and jam section. Take some out and squeeze in some lime, add some horseradish, and some fresh parsley - serve on the side or "gently" top the breasts. What was the sauce you had planned and didn't use? Us inquiring foodie minds want to know! :LOL:

It was a pinot Noir sauce. basically a mixed reduction of the wine and some chicken broth then mixed with a bit of sugar and corn starch to get more of a glze texture. I use it alot with duck or quail. It is a variation of a sauce in the "gourmet meals in minutes" book

Nice job on the pics and the meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did you do with the rest of the duck? Did you tempura the veggies? Can I come nibble out of your refrigerator right now? :blush:
Rest of the duck is in the fridge... im going to make the thighs tommorow with the pinot noir sauce. and i'll probably broil the legs and wing with some kind of sauce for the sunday football games. If you have any ideas for the wings/legs im all ears. I'll definetly be cooking some of those left over potatoes in the duck fat. maybe make some homefries with it

Yeah, the veggies were just a simple thick batter(flour, egg, water, cornstarch) deep friend in veggie oil sprinkled with a bit of salt and pinch of sugar.

Feel free to come pick out of the fridge anytime!!! Its too crowded as is.

Last edited:
Jeez, what are your trying to do? Show the rest of us up? Just kidding. Great job.

Your girlfriend is a very lucky lady.

I can only imagine how much you care for each other to go to the lengths you do.

You remind me of Buck and me during our younger years. Keep up the good work.

P.S. We've been together for more than 30 years.

Jeez, what are your trying to do? Show the rest of us up? Just kidding. Great job.

Your girlfriend is a very lucky lady.

I can only imagine how much you care for each other to go to the lengths you do.

You remind me of Buck and me during our younger years. Keep up the good work.

P.S. We've been together for more than 30 years.

Thanks so much, and its nice to hear you have been together so long. I don't really see it as going through great lengths as I love to cook and it isnt the same without having someone to enjoy it!

We are juuuuuuuuust shy of 30 years... we'll hit the 8 month mark soon ;)

What about marinating the wings in a basic Asian marinade:

soy sauce
dry sherry
brown sugar or white
spring onions
sesame oil
sesame seeds
fresh ginger or ground for convenience
fresh garlic
star anise
a "bit" of garlic chili paste for some heat

Let marinate at least a day but two is always nice. You can also, in a separate container - definitely not in with the duck, marinate some pineapple rings for a few hours and grill.

What about marinating the wings in a basic Asian marinade:

soy sauce
dry sherry
brown sugar or white
spring onions
sesame oil
sesame seeds
fresh ginger or ground for convenience
fresh garlic
star anise
a "bit" of garlic chili paste for some heat

Let marinate at least a day but two is always nice. You can also, in a separate container - definitely not in with the duck, marinate some pineapple rings for a few hours and grill.

thats sound good... 2 days is fine as i'll want the wings/legs for the weekend. Also, i've been seeing/reading alot about these coffee wing sauces. at first i wrote it off but they seem to be getting kinda popular. the recipe i saw had kahlua in it....

Nice job, but next time cook your duck a little less and either grill or caramelize those onions.

I agree on the duck, but my girlfriend doesnt eat any meat that looks at all rare... still trying to work her on that one. she doesnt know whats good for her! :wacko:

Good call on grilling the onions... i didnt want to carmalize them because i had an idea in my head of what i wanted it to look like and present it and i needed them to be firm. But grilling would have looked the same and tasted a whole lot better... for me it was more of a garnish...

thanks for the response... i'll definetly be bugging you later in the week when i cook the rest of this duck!

Back
Top Bottom