Too Hot to Cook Saturday 7/11/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
So it's Crock Pot Chili. :chef:

I made some Itialian Sausage the other day that was a bit too salty. (I knew it at the time but blindly followed the recipe) It made a great spagetti sauce but I had leftover that I wanted to use up.

Into the pot.

Onion.
Red Beans
Beef Stock
Turkey Stock
Chili Powder.
Cumin. :yum:
Adobo Seasoning.
Tomato Paste.
Dried Parsley. (It needed something green)
Sausage. (Browned)

Got to use up some things from the freezer so that's another plus to go with not heating up the house and being able to not pay much attention to it. ;)

Hope it ends up eatable.
I might be back to tell you all it was McD's for dinner. :LOL:

I found a recipe on Serious Eats' Food Lab this week that looks pretty good for Grilled Shrimp with Chermoula. I've been experimenting with North African foods a lot lately, so I may try this tonight.

I'm making tzatziki today to use up a couple of garden cucumbers (and will take some on our beach trip tomorrow), so I'll make chicken with Greek seasonings and a Greek salad. I'm hoping we can grill the chops but it's pouring down rain right now. We'll see what whether it stops by dinnertime.

I'm grilling a couple of pork chops. We'll have them along with a pasta salad or tossed salad.

Ditto on the Happy Birthday, lyndalou! Hope you have a very enjoyable dinner.

Zagut, I'd be OK if you kept your unbearable heat down there with you. The last two days in south-central MA have been delightful. Not looking forward to tomorrow's 90 and humidity.

The plan is to grill a seasoned pork tenderloin - seasoning to be determined. However, if Himself doesn't get himself out to cut grass soon, I'll probably wait with the tenderloin until tomorrow, since I've had a taste for breakfast-for-supper for a couple of days now.

Zagut....sure sounds good to me! :yum:

I'll be having leftover zucchini gratin from yesterday, and a fresh fruit salad. Maybe some pepper jack cheese and wheat crackers for a little crunch. :yum:

We're still recovering from our trip. Some potstickers from Costco and dipping sauce.

I sautéed some onions, garlic, fresh green beans and ham chunks and splashed on some chokecherry syrup, maple syrup and soy sauce. Then I chopped one tomato and avocado and added a bit of ranch dressing for a side salad.

Last edited:
Today's the first day in six weeks that it hasn't been in the 90's or over 100... we've broken all kinds of records for heat. Today it finally rained and cleared out the smoky air from the fires that have been burning. Hoping it was enough rain to put them down.

Going to heat up some beef smokies and BBQ beans and make some coleslaw. And start the oven for the first time in weeks. I picked the last of the strawberries, pie cherries, and gooseberries and the first of the raspberries, tayberries and blueberries and will dump them all together for a fruit crisp.

Happy birthday, Lyndalou. 75 is the new 50 y'know.

It was hot and humid, so Stirling didn't feel like grilling burgers. I made a tossed salad, cut up some of the left over rotisserie chicken, and made some ranch style dressing. It was perfect for the weather. I served it with a wine we hadn't tried before, Aveleda, a vinho verde from Portugal. It was perfect for the weather and meal.

I'm making tzatziki today to use up a couple of garden cucumbers (and will take some on our beach trip tomorrow), so I'll make chicken with Greek seasonings and a Greek salad. I'm hoping we can grill the chops but it's pouring down rain right now. We'll see what whether it stops by dinnertime.

Meant to say pork chops. :yum:

Attachments

• 1436662797693.jpg
    1436662797693.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 163
...The plan is to grill a seasoned pork tenderloin...(or) breakfast-for-supper...
Ended up with something else entirely. When I pulled the pork and asparagus out of the fridge, lo and behold, there was a small boneless ham that needed baking. We ended up with salads, ham and cheese sandwiches on French rolls, and a couple more pickles from Batch 1. Batch 2 just got mixed today - we'll check on it Thursday.

Today was a stand in front of the fridge with the door open and feed yourself. Pirate made some chicken cutlets and I had nothing. I am not hungry. I just kept my coffee cup filled. And when Teddy showed up with Spike he headed right to the kitchen and started to bark. There was one cutlet left and he could smell it. Poor Pirate. He needs to learn to eat at least an hour before Teddy arrives. Last night Teddy had fish and tonight the last chicken cutlet. That dog eats better than I do. But he will not be getting any of the chocolate cake. That is for my daughter's house for her husband. He has not been doing good lately, so I thought a chocolate cake would help cheer him up a bit. :angel:

I found a recipe on Serious Eats' Food Lab this week that looks pretty good for Grilled Shrimp with Chermoula. I've been experimenting with North African foods a lot lately, so I may try this tonight.
How'd it turn out? I have chermoula on my list for this summer...waiting for eggplant to be in season--August. I got a friend from Tunsia's mom's chermoula recipe and am anxious to try it on smoked eggplant. I too have been playing with North African flavours lately...what else have you tried and liked?

Back
Top Bottom