Top 10 Foods for a Good Night's Sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Bananas. They're practically a sleeping pill in a peel. In addition to a bit of soothing melatonin and serotonin, bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant.

Chamomile tea. The reason chamomile is such a staple of bedtime tea blends is its mild sedating effect - it's the perfect natural antidote for restless minds/bodies.

Warm milk. It's not a myth. Milk has some tryptophan - an amino acid that has a sedative - like effect - and calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan. Plus there's the psychological throw-back to infancy, when a warm bottle meant "relax, everything's fine."

Honey. Drizzle a little in your warm milk or herb tea. Lots of sugar is stimulating, but a little glucose tells your brain to turn off orexin, a recently discovered neurotransmitter that's linked to alertness.

Potatoes. A small baked spud won't overwhelm your GI tract, and it clears away acids that can interfere with yawn-inducing tryptophan. To up the soothing effects, mash it with warm milk.

Oatmeal. Oats are a rich source of sleep - inviting melatonin, and a small bowl of warm cereal with a splash of maple syrup is cozy - plus if you've got the munchies, it's filling too.

Almonds. A handful of these heart-healthy nuts can be snooze-inducing, as they contain both tryptophan and a nice dose of muscle-relaxing magnesium.

Flaxseeds. When life goes awry and feeling down is keeping you up, try sprinkling 2 tablespoons of these healthy little seeds on your bedtime oatmeal. They're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a natural mood lifter.

Whole-wheat bread. A slice of toast with your tea and honey will release insulin, which helps tryptophan get to your brain, where it's converted to serotonin and quietly murmurs "time to sleep."

Turkey. It's the most famous source of tryptophan, credited with all those Thanksgiving naps. But that's actually modern folklore. Tryptophan works when your stomach's basically empty, not overstuffed, and when there are some carbs around, not tons of protein. But put a lean slice or two on some whole-wheat bread mid-evening, and you've got one of the best sleep inducers in your kitchen.

Good job,GB.

I almost fell asleep reading your post while I was enjoying my bowl of oatmeal, with milk, mashed banana, honey and maple syrup. I'm sipping some camomile tea, too. I think I'm ready to go to "nitey-night" land.

Thanks for the ideas.

Seriously, though, these are all good ideas and are wonderful remedies for sleeplessness. Better than OTC and prescription drugs. At least try these first.

Thanks GB. I will try them all. I am one of those unfortunate people who have a hard time getting a good night sleep. If I get 5 to 5 1/2 hours a night I'm lucky. Two of my 5 children have the same problem, I will have to send them your post. Thanks again, JoAnn:)

TATTRAT said:
I would also add a pint of Guiness and a pork chop.

Works like a charm:sleep::angel:

:LOL:

My mother always told us that pork would keep you awake, and she was right! If I eat pork at night, I have hassles with sleep. OK, maybe its psychological given her statement all those years ago:wacko: , but for me it's true.
Guinness?? Well Tattrat, the Irish would agree with that for sure!

I need a bowl of light vegetable soup in winter, or a yogurt with fresh fruit in summer to give me an extra hour of shuteye.

Thats my excuse anyways! ;)

Thank you for the post. It seems the older I get, the more difficult it is to catch the sleep fairy, elusive little sprite. :( All that fluttering about she does makes her hard to hold onto, as well. I tend to wake often during the night. I wonder if the items on your list will assist in keeping a person asleep, as well.

Thanks for posting it. :sleep:

a little sipping whiskey is a fine thing. Howsomeever, think I'll go make me a turkey and banana sandwich on wholewheat with flaxseed and almond aioli, side of honey(mustard) dipped fries, and a camomile-oat-milk smoothie.

Thanks for posting that, GB... I've had trouble sleeping ever since 9/11.... and those sound like GREAT tips.

Who knew...... a BANANA!!! well, fer pity's sake! :LOL:

GB said:
Bananas. They're practically a sleeping pill in a peel. In addition to a bit of soothing melatonin and serotonin, bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant.

Chamomile tea. The reason chamomile is such a staple of bedtime tea blends is its mild sedating effect - it's the perfect natural antidote for restless minds/bodies.

Warm milk. It's not a myth. Milk has some tryptophan - an amino acid that has a sedative - like effect - and calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan. Plus there's the psychological throw-back to infancy, when a warm bottle meant "relax, everything's fine."

Honey. Drizzle a little in your warm milk or herb tea. Lots of sugar is stimulating, but a little glucose tells your brain to turn off orexin, a recently discovered neurotransmitter that's linked to alertness.

Potatoes. A small baked spud won't overwhelm your GI tract, and it clears away acids that can interfere with yawn-inducing tryptophan. To up the soothing effects, mash it with warm milk.

Oatmeal. Oats are a rich source of sleep - inviting melatonin, and a small bowl of warm cereal with a splash of maple syrup is cozy - plus if you've got the munchies, it's filling too.

Almonds. A handful of these heart-healthy nuts can be snooze-inducing, as they contain both tryptophan and a nice dose of muscle-relaxing magnesium.

Flaxseeds. When life goes awry and feeling down is keeping you up, try sprinkling 2 tablespoons of these healthy little seeds on your bedtime oatmeal. They're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a natural mood lifter.

Whole-wheat bread. A slice of toast with your tea and honey will release insulin, which helps tryptophan get to your brain, where it's converted to serotonin and quietly murmurs "time to sleep."

Turkey. It's the most famous source of tryptophan, credited with all those Thanksgiving naps. But that's actually modern folklore. Tryptophan works when your stomach's basically empty, not overstuffed, and when there are some carbs around, not tons of protein. But put a lean slice or two on some whole-wheat bread mid-evening, and you've got one of the best sleep inducers in your kitchen.
They were just talking about this on Good Morning America this morning ! Good job !!

GB, I printed the list you posted earlier on the foods to eat...starting with apples. I will print this post also. NEAT. Keep posting.

Back
Top Bottom