"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
Head Chef

When we were in Oregon, we lived near a TJ's and I loved it for wine. They carry one call "Jest Red" ... hardy and bold, not for the faint of heart (it will actually stain your tongue purple). Their general wine section was good as well and seemed to change regularily enough to keep it worth the trip. The "Three Buck Chuck" is watery but nice to keep on hand for cooking or when you want just a little sipper and don't want to open something nicer :).

Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #12
Master Chef

As you can see by the list below that I love to shop at Trader Joe's. I find most of their prices to be reasonable. Mostly what I like about them is they tend to have products that do not have sulfites, high fructose corn syrup, and are generally better for you. I still read the labels, but I have found more things that I can eat. Just so you know I am allergic to sulfites and have to watch my sugar intake. Here are some of my favorite things from Trader Joe's:
  • Blueberry Bran muffins from the Zen Bakery
  • Trader Joe's Sprouted Multi-grain Salt Free Bread - This bread does not have high fructose corn syrup. Now that I have started eating this bread all the other breads are too sweet tasting for me. 2 grams of sugar and 15 grams of carbs per slice
  • Any of their nuts and dried fruits
  • Trader Joe's white corn tortilla chips
  • Whole wheat pastas
  • Trader Joe's pad thai - found in the frozen section.
  • Triple Ginger Snaps
  • Shortbread cookies with apricot or raspberry filling
  • low sodium soy sauce

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Mudbug I am so glad you have a TJ's now! I love their prepared meals for something to keep in the freezer when I don't feel like cooking. They have a decent selection of Mexican and Indian foods in the freezer section and usually are around $3 or so. It is not a ton of food, but is usually enough for a lunch. They are all very tasty too.

Check out the olive oil section. The one I love is Santini (I am pretty sure that is what it is called). It is one of the smaller bottles they have, but is priced at $3 and change. I love the stuff.

The cheeses are great and also their dried fruit I really like.

The 2 buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) is decent although at my TJ's I think they charge $3 or maybe even a little more. Still worth it though. I usually have a few of those on hand. They also carry their own brand of beer that is surprisingly good as well. I think I paid $4 for a 6 pack.

I am sure you will find some great bargains there in now time
Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

I am in the minority of folks that is totally unimpressed with TJ's.

I do buy Cowboy lump charcoal and pure grade b maple syrup there, but not much else. I do like their frozen ethnic foods.

I can get better wine for not much more at my Stop and Shop or at Best Cellars.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I rarely shop at TJ's though there's one within 10 minutes.

I have found some things that are a good deal there but they are not things I buy alot. I seldom buy prepared foods so that aspect of the store is of little interest. Their dried fruits and vanilla beans are a good deal.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
We buy the unsalted nuts and frozen artichoke hearts. I tried one of their frozen Chinese bowls with chicken. It was so hot I couldn't eat it.
They are the largest wine retailers in the country. we love the red Vina Borgia it is not expensive. They also have great smoked salmon.
The flower bouquets are beautiful and last a long time.
My husband likes the dark chocolate sold in large pieces. They also have a great Trader Joe White Balsamic vinegar- great with salads containing fruit.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Their Dried Bing Cherries are really good. I rehydrate them in hot water and use them for my Arugula and Fuji Apple salad.