"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Trader Joe's: Hits and misses..

I did a thread a few months back on TJ's oriental sauces, so now Im doing one on some more products:

TJ's Green Olive Tapenade. Sort of okay but bland. Also has an odd after taste that maybe something in the olives or something just plain odd. Actually I dont think I'd serve this to guests or maybe if I added sun dried tomatoes or something.. Grade C

Chocolate Chip Dunkers. I think the full name is even longer. These actually hit the spot. THey have plenty of taste, perfect size, good texture, not too hard not too soft. Very chocolately taste perfect for dunking...A

Egg plant Tapenade. Disappointing, it just doesnt have any richness, or taste very fresh or have any direction of what it wants to be. C-

TJ's lightly smoked sardines. It should say "very lightly smoked" or "Non existant smoke" or something. There is very little going on in the way of taste, although the bright purple tin can is very eye catching. You can find better stuff in ordinary supermarket. This is a waste. C-

Alaskan pink salmon. These are sold in larger 12 oz. can suitable for fish patties and such. Not bad for canned salmon. Probably a little cut above the ordinary stuff sold in supermarkets...B

Premium chunk chicken. Another canned product, I think it's in 10 oz cans. These are good for chicken salad or just pack them for a day trip and make sandwiches. Not super fresh or rich but does make the grade. B+

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I've not been thrilled with any of their packaged deli meats. I guess I expected them to be better than the stuff in supermarkets.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Master Chef

They have some great salsas and tortilla chips. I know there are many other things I love there. I'll have to come back and let ya know when I remember what they are.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Senior Cook

TJ's oreo type cookies called jo jo's are wonderful.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Head Chef

TJ Hits (for me):

Peppermint Jo Jos
Multi Grain Bread
frozen lamb
Pizza dough & sauce
TJ brand salsa
bagged lettuce mixes - love the mache mix
TJ Vanilla Soy Protein Powder
onion feta puffs
frozen naan

Misses:

Shepherds Pie - very watery
spinach/artichoke dip - tasted like glue
any of their rice bowls, too much rice and not enough meat, veggies
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I guess almost none of their jarred dips and such are worthwhile. That is the feeling I get.

We picked up Salmon patties the other day which were acceptable. They arent really like fish patties, there is no breading. they are just salmon slices. They arent super tasty though.

What do people think of the seasoned fish and other frozen stuff?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Head Chef

I generally like their frozen stuff.

Frozen TJ brand stuff I like:

Wild Maine frozen blueberries
Strawberries
Fire Roasted balsamic glazed mixed veggies
Hericot verts (frozen green beans)
naan
LAMB - OMG, they have good lamb at a great price, already seasoned too. DELISH
Tart L'Alsace - this is a thin crust ham and grurye cheese tart - my husband loves this one
Puff Pastrys w/carmelized onions and feta - AMAZING
Chicken Pomadoro
Chocolate croissants - you let them proof on the counter all night and bake them in the a.m. - so easy and they taste pretty good
TJ vanilla bean ice cream - pint sized container, great flavor.

I've never tried their frozen fish but it I think it must be popular, I always see people buying it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Master Chef

jpinmaryland: "TJ's Green Olive Tapenade. Sort of okay but bland. Also has an odd after taste that maybe something in the olives or something just plain odd. Actually I dont think I'd serve this to guests or maybe if I added sun dried tomatoes or something.. Grade C."
AND "I guess almost none of their jarred dips and such are worthwhile. That is the feeling I get."

Gee - I really like TJ's tapenades & bruschetta toppings. Hubby gave me a full selection of them as Xmas "stocking stuffer" gifts, & we had a ball enjoying them not only on toasted baguette slices, but also on baked & broiled fish & tossed with hot pasta. Very tasty versatile stuff. In fact, the green olive, along with an artichoke one, was one of my favorites. I do agree, however, that the eggplant one was a bit bland.

I don't think you can really "grade" items like these due to taste in food being such a personal thing. It'd be a shame if someone neglected to try some of these simply due to you not liking them.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I don't think you can really "grade" items like these due to taste in food being such a personal thing. It'd be a shame if someone neglected to try some of these simply due to you not liking them.

If we applied that idea across the board, we wouldn't have much left to discuss. I'm sure most of us understand that we're reading personal opinions -- positive and negative.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Master Chef

Hits: All of their nuts, especially almonds
Fish sticks
Wine
Yogurt
Some cheeses

Misses: Pretty much everything else, especially frozen foods