"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

DGS is about to go for his spring break visit with his dad so our family is eating together tonight. I've just made the cake, but don't know what the meal will be. He is a chocoholic so I made a chocolate cake with chocolate bits, chocolate pudding, sour cream. It also has a chocolate filling and frosting with toasted almonds. I have to make something good to go with all that.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
All the time GB. I love cooking but.. really trying to figure out what to make for dinner 365 times a year is a chore...

Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

I have a similar dilemma with a difference. You wander around the supermarket trying to come up with an idea for dinner. That's primarily because you shop daily.

On Saturday morning, I flip through my cookbook and any new recipes I want to make and decide on some of the things I might want to try. I shop to that list.

Then, during the week, I stand in front of the freezer and try to find the ingredient that makes my mouth water for that day.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Some days I stand in front of the freezer - what falls out - that is what we have for dinner.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Also, beware of those free cheese samples. Go directly to the salad bar or the hot deli take out counter. Do not pass go & collect $200.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I make a menu for the week. I base some ideas on this forum (what others are having for dinner), and other times just look through my list of recipes, and sometimes based on what is on sale at the grocery store.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Wish I was organized enough to plan and shop for an entire week - 'twould make daily life simpler. Alas, I'm not that way.

Usually we eat something fairly mundane most nights of the work week and I branch out on the weekends when I have time to think about it and perhaps even read up on something I haven't tried to make before.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Have the wife/gf/bf/roommates or whatever buy some "mystery" stuff at the store then bring them home for you to make a dish out of it. My roommates and I would do that every so often while at WCI and some of the dishes turned out to be really good stuff.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I plan a menu for the week based on what is happening - traveling husband, mom and dad for dinner, etc. Then I scan the grocery ads and decide what will be for dinner every night that week. I keep a boiler plate grocery list in the computer and it is very easy to update. On that list is also my weekly menu and a list of foods I have in the freezer (ie, 2 - 1 lb. packages ground beef, 1 pot roast). I usually go to the market Friday mornings and get what I need. However, I have been finding myself making a few run-in trips for a couple of items - fresh meat or things like that. It gets me out of the house with the baby (he gets sooooo bored in the house during these drab winter months ) for a quick trip without spending too much money.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
Head Chef

Only two of us here and we hate cooking meals for two, they are usually so limited.

So buy real food quantities, and that means we often have many leftovers.

Will often make two entrees and alternate them during the next week or so.

But we often just go to the food stores, farm stands, etc. and forage.

It is a lot of fun and we often find something we had not had in a while.

Particularly fun in the late spring and fall when all sorts of neat things we have not thought about in a bit show up.