"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I made Katie's Marshmellow Pumpkin pie... I don't like pumpkin pie and I'm sorry to say I didn't like this either BUT, I made it for my son and he LIKED IT!!! And that's what counts. He took it home with him for leftover dinner tonight. Thanks Katie anything that makes David smile makes me smile.

Michelemarie posted a toffee recipe and I made that too... delish! Thanks!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #22
Head Chef

I just did my normal carnivore dutys again with the turkey, ducks and rabbits. My GF however made some really good corn muffins with garlic, sun dried tomatoes and whole corn that went over really well. She also made an excellent coconut cake that just didn't get eaten. Go figure...

Old 11-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #23
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post

A few years ago mom introduces a dish of matchstick cut roasted root vegetables..
Recipe please?

Elfie, your story sounds like the latest cell-phone commercial with the guy whose turkey explodes in the deep fryer
Old 11-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
Sous Chef

matchstick root vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Recipe please?
This I don't have but I have helped make it so here goes

basically get an assortment of root veggies (carrots, parsnip, celery, sweet potato, turnip, onions... whatever really just get a variety for color.)

Cut the veggies into small sticks of even size probably not bigger than 1/4" (this part is the work... and usually involves some unskilled labor AKA me, dad, brother... whatever soul dares wander in the kitchen)

Toss in a mixing bowl with olive oil, s&p some herbs (this I am unsure of maybe Herbs De Provance... whatever taste you want I guess but not too strong... (left to my own devices I would probably use curry powder of something but that would cause a revolution on the homefront.)

Spread thin on a (lightly oiled? or non stick) baking sheet and in the oven (not sure temp I would think 350-375) until done... they should be just getting crispy on the outside but still pliable not approaching the chip category.

Place in dish and serve... I think you can warm these fairly successfully if made a bit in advance but are better if freshly out of the oven.

They are very pretty and colorful in a serving dish looking sort of confetti like and seem to be well received by the fussy eater crowd.... my brother who eats almost NOTHING likes them.

I think it is a TV recipe but I have no idea where it came from
Old 11-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I made Pumpkins with Wild Mushrooms Stuffing this year. I had the oven packed with squash, pumpkins, another stuffing and, at the end, bread rolls. Everything came out at the same time and dinner was steaming hot =). I made the pumpkins with chantrelle, cremini and shitake mushrooms and a pumpkin ale. It was really good and a huge hit. It's a lot of work, but definitely a once a year treat =)

Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Head Chef

I made a banoffee pie - and it turned out great! There was no leftovers, sadly.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

What is banoffee pie Toots? Anything "pie" sounds good to me
Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
Head Chef

JoeV, I am so thrilled that you like the challah recipe. You really are getting a lot of mileage out of it. Now, you can see why it was my father's favorite. George Greenstein's bread book is fantastic!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What is banoffee pie Toots? Anything "pie" sounds good to me
Banoffee pie is a concoction of toffee, bananas, heavy whipped cream all in a graham cracker crust. I made it the "dangerous" way by boiling 2 unopened cans of Eagle Brand in a hot water bath for 3 hours to get my toffee.

Just google it, you'll find plenty of recipes and photos.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

That sounds amazingly delicious!!!