"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Can someone tell me what this is all about?

Bucky, as a New Joisey kid, I expect you can lay it on the line.

Darkstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I agree I can't STAND Fray. Not one of his shows do I like. Mainly because of the "over-the-top" NYness. Plus when he had people come up and "help" him cook he would ALWAYS say they were doing it wrong and stop them. I say "hey I asked for the help and now let the the help do what you asked them to" He's a jerk. Period.

LOVE Ming tho, wish I had seen that battle.

Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I think Ming is cute. :oops:
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Can't even watch that show.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Head Chef
I guess the NY attitude may be tough to swallow,
But I'm sure he busted his butt to get where he is today and I have to admire that. I like his shows, (even the one with the Bimbo). Jackie simply asked questions so that chef Flay would explain what he was doing.
I guess Bobby's a better chef than he is a teacher.
I really like Ming's shows though, the contrasts of tastes and textures of Asian cooking are great.
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #16
Head Chef
I don't like Flay much, mainly because the first show of his I saw turned me off. The one where he had a female cohost. Have ever noticed that on those shows, when he calls a good looking girl up to come and help, he's like their second skin. That kinda creeped me out. And at the end of the show when they all gather around to eat, only a "select few" get to sit around the table with him and eat, everyone else has to just watch. I know it's not realistic to have EVEYRONE around the table eating, but it just came off to me as very classist. My friend and I used to always joke that the people at the perimeter of the room was a second class citizen because they dont get to munch on the food, just the leftovers.

That said, I still try some of his recipes on occassion. I won't turn away an interesting recipe, no matter how much I dislike the creator. :)
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by wasabi
I think Ming is cute. :oops:
me too, wasabi. Bobby ain't cute at all.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
unfortunately, from what i've heard, bobby flay is a joisey guy :oops: , of well off parents who bought him his first restaurant. to his credit, he has become a very good chef and restauranteur, opening several places that are highly acclaimed. i think he's a graduate of one of the nyc culinary schools as well.

i've heard that he was nerdy and smug in high school, so he has carried some of that over to his shows. it's also probably why some agent sold him on using his looks to try to create an image. also why he tries so hard to surround himself with bimbettes.
i think he made his first big mistake whe he was on iron chef and showed great disrespect to morimoto-san, standing on his cutting board and doing the "raise the roof" thing.
since then he's done nothing to improve his image, but he seems to be on more and more shows. unfortunately, he is on cbs morning and weekend shows a lot. someone must like him.

i have to agree with lugaru who said he is the necessary evil in the pro-wrestling-like show of iron chef america. gotta have a pompass and talented bad guy...
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Originally Posted by buckytom

i have to agree with lugaru who said he is the necessary evil in the pro-wrestling-like show of iron chef america. gotta have a pompass and talented bad guy...
Were just lucky he dosent have an audience to play too (at least not in the "battle of the masters" ones I saw) or else his annoying level would be through the roof like in the Morimoto-san duel.
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
I agree on how pompous Flay is. But I do have to say when he went up against Rick Bayless he really showed some versatility. I think he's as interesting to watch as bologna on the grill... and he comes across pretty degrading to the small town cooks he encounters on Foodnation...

(I was waiting for one of the Eagles Fans to pummel him during a tailgating show a year or so back - now that would have been enjoyable television).

I've been to Mesa Grill and it was enjoyable but not a place I long to go back to. Slightly overpriced as you would expect in Manhattan... and his food was simple and enjoyable... but pretty slight in portion. (New Mexican Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin - $28 - for maybe a six ounce serving) Think of it as Southwestern Experimental Comfort Food...

I wish they'd put Alton Brown in the mix and see if he could go up against those guys. He's the Mr. Science of food knowledge...

Bupo107 is offline   Reply With Quote