"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Tsai Beat Flay......

In the Duck Battle. What a battle!!! Tsai attempted Peking duck in under 1 hour.

Tsai went with a dessert item using duck. Some Creme Bru lei type item.

Flay had one item that used a serrano peppers and one that used a habanero peppers.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Tsai Beat Flay......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
In the Duck Battle. What a battle!!! Tsai attempted Peking duck in under 1 hour.

Tsai went with a dessert item using duck. Some Creme Bru lei type item.

Flay had one item that used a serrano peppers and one that used a habanero peppers.
These asian chefs are getting weird on us, dessert duck after hearing about trout eyeball icecream and the other one, I think I gag on these.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

I didn't catch that one. I will have to try to find out when the rerun airs.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

I hate Flay so much I don't care who beats him, as long as they do! He's an embarresment to America, ruder than an Italian New York cabbie (from Brooklyn) who only get's a $20 tip for a $5 fare, nd I wouldn't eat in one of his pepper-palaces if they were the last fast-food joints on the earth.

I always cheer for his challenger.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
wow asian power. ming tsai is my role model. you don't see that many asian chefs on tv
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

he's a good one mac-jr.

michael, i have a few cabbie friends that wanna have a little talk with you, maybe go for a little walk, capisce? :D

i watched that battle, flay got his butt whipped on taste, but it was pretty much a dead heat on originality and presentation. i cringed listening to flay clumsily describe his dishes. ming tsai came away looking very good, very classy.

at least the battle was good, and the judges had some interesting things to say. the guy from "queer eye" was pretty funny.

i still think they could have done away with the chairman thing and just gone with a good host/emcee. terrible casting.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Actually to an extent Flay fit's in really nicely with Iron chef america.

It's kinda like wrestling... we need that guy who walks around being pompous and causes us to boo him and throw stuff the screen when he wins. To a lesser extent Iron chef (the original) had that in Kobe who could REALLY let his ego get the best of him (like when he went up against the mexican chef, I was ready to strangle my tv). It just makes for good television and I mean it's not like Flay cant cook, he's just not the best.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
he's a good one mac-jr.

michael, i have a few cabbie friends that wanna have a little talk with you, maybe go for a little walk, capisce? :D

i watched that battle, flay got his butt whipped on taste, but it was pretty much a dead heat on originality and presentation. i cringed listening to flay clumsily describe his dishes. ming tsai came away looking very good, very classy.

at least the battle was good, and the judges had some interesting things to say. the guy from "queer eye" was pretty funny.

i still think they could have done away with the chairman thing and just gone with a good host/emcee. terrible casting.
I can't stand Flay or Mario. I like Ming...... he looks like a nice guy.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
Hummm ... maybe that didn't come out the way I ment it? I was thinking about my ex-father-in-law and his two brothers - Italian New York cabbies (from Brooklyn) - guess I should have mentioned that? :oops:
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I hate Flay so much I don't care who beats him, as long as they do! He's an embarresment to America, ruder than an Italian New York cabbie (from Brooklyn) who only get's a $20 tip for a $5 fare, nd I wouldn't eat in one of his pepper-palaces if they were the last fast-food joints on the earth.

I always cheer for his challenger.
MinFtW, I find Flay charming and I would love to go to the Mesa Grill. I did not like his first show with the bimbo, but I like both of his later ones.