Tube Steak Day Dinner - 9/10/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
It's National Hot Dog Day

https://foodimentary.com/2017/09/10/september-10th-is-national-hot-dog-day/

but we're not having tube steaks. Tonight's dinner will be littleneck clams with fresh linguine, green salad on the side.

Haven't used the pasta machine for a while. The weather is cooling down, and yesterday was first day I wore long pants in months, so it's time to change the menu a bit.

All this talk about soup got me excited for soup so I'm making a big batch of beef barley soup with mushrooms for dinner tonight. We'll have some crusty rolls and butter along side.

From the Foodimenary Link:
5. The average American is believed to eat approximately 60 hot dogs every year.

:huh: Seriously? :ermm: OK, who of you out there are eating my share? :LOL: I'm not sure if Himself and I eat 60 hot dogs between the two of us all year.

I'm making another small pot of soup, this time using up the leftover grilled chicken. We'll also have small, simple salads and fried bologna sandwiches with mustard, tomato, and lettuce. Hmm, come to think of it, bologna is kinda like a really big hot dog...

Tonight's supper.
IMG_20180910_210815319.jpg

CG, you got that right! Bologna has basically the same ingredients list as Hot Dogs...

I made a five pound batch of Guava Chicken a bit back,
so I froze portion sizes for later use... it's later use tonight :LOL:

001.jpg

I also had some Cucumber Kim Chee leftover from the other night,
and then made a pot of Portuguese (Linguisa) Sausage fried Rice
AND
added Peas & Carrots
screaming yikes.jpg
I NEVER do that, but I figured, we needed more veg on out plates,
so ...
It was fresh carrots that I diced and frozen peas, along with
Sweet White Onions - aka Maui Onions - some Green Onions... the
sausage was leftover from breakfast a few days back.
DH said at the table:
We're Going out to eat tomorrow!
Moi: Why? It's Tuesday, nothing special about that ...
DH: NO MORE LEFTOVERS!!!
Moi: But you know I never finish my dish :LOL:

Tasso pasta, which is our home-cured-smoked tasso, zucchini, carrots, onions, yellow squash, garlic in a light cream sauce.

Last night was split pea soup with smoked ham steak, carrots, onion and potatoes. A bit of liquid hickory smoked added.

I did not know that. We dont eat many hot dogs any more. Usually eat some sort of sausage instead...but I used to buy Nathan's pretty much exclusively when we did eat hot dogs.

Last night was a hearty miso soup (first hot soup of the season, we've been having gazpacho in the final weeks of tomato harvest though) with chunks of dashi marinated tofu, chili garlic sauce and chives, with a large side salad of several vegetables over a spinach and arugula bed of greens topped with something I had for the first time..."hemp hearts". They are very tastyand very good for you, my wife bought them for a low carb cookie recipe (which is delicious)

I'm not vegetarian, but enjoy tofu in a handful of dishes and we have a lot of what people might call "health food" like the hemp hearts all becasue of other low carb recipes.

Silly me forgot to break my camera out...I just returned to this forum, I need to get back in the habit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom