"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Head Chef
Tues 4/8

Chili rubbed rib eye,aspar. soup, broccoli,tater salad.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Tacos tonight with the usual fixin's.

You'll have to take my word for it, no photo.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Tacos here too. Baked soft tacos. An experiment I read somewhere. Fill shells with main ingredients. add cheese. Lean 'em up or make a Foil Corral to hold them steady. Bake ~ 10 minutes. Sides get crispy and the bottoms stay soft. Remove from oven and add cool toppings ( salsa sour cream etc) serve. Well!! They made all that and more. The bottoms fell apart and the tops were left in my fingers like Castanets. La cucaracha style tacos . Surprisingly tasty as a salad.

Perhaps these would work if I didn't put refried beans on the bottom of the tacos to anchor the filling, and went with seasoned grilled chicken strips or some other less wet ingredients.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
I made LP's Baked Salmon tonight. We get nice big thick fillets from Costco and have extra for salads and sandwiches. The thicker the fillet the nicer it turns out.

I made an asparagus and spinach salad with lime vinaigrette.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Head Chef
Oven Baked Polenta

I've made this for many years-----as an easy way to make polenta that will be in a sorta cake format-----not the soft gloppy one.

1 1/2 cups polenta (I buy any kind but it's not a fine grain)
4 1/2 cups cold water
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teas. salt

Mix together in ovenproof casserole dish, cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

I find that it takes more than one hour to cook until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (For instance, tonight it's been almost 2 hours!) The edges will start to come away from the casserole.

I grease the casserole with butter first.
I use ' cold' tap water.
I use butter from the fridge.

I have no idea why the recipe says to cook for just one hour! If anyone else tries this, let me know how long it took, please. I'm pretty sure it's not the oven for I've used several different ovens.

Good for leftovers, cut into squares like scrapple and browned in olive oil.

And you don't have to mess up another pan! My kind of cooking.
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
Cave, your polenta recipe is now in my database. I will have to figure out which works better with it - ghee or TB's soy/dairy-free margerine. He can have either, as long as the ghee is fully dairy-free and I can get that at the local Indian market or make it myself.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Master Chef
LP, your salmon sounds good even though it's probably too moist for me. I prefer mild (some might say bland ) fish, so when I make one with a stronger flavor (salmon, tuna) I usually season them generously and sear on a CI pan. Might give it a go sometime anyway.

I halfway made chicken soup yesterday, saving the veggie part and cutting meat off bones for today. We had that with skinny noodles. Still have quite a bit left, so I'll probably pop it into the freezer. It can make friends with that dinner-worth of minestrone I made a week or two ago.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Pescado rellano. A fish fillet wrapped around a fantastic mix of shrimp, octopus, squid, and whatever else happened to be swimming a while ago, baked with butter, cream, and light herbs, served with garlic bread to sop up the juices. And I didn't have to cook it!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Master Chef
S & P, that rib eye looks fantastic, and so does your asparagus soup.

Dawg, sounds so fresh and wonderful. I think I read you are on vacation again , enjoy!

I had a fish taco tonight - breaded halibut and shredded cabbage, with a white sauce of half mayo, half plain yogurt with a little bit of adobo sauce and lime juice, and cilantro on a warmed corn tortilla.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made linguini Alfredo and served it with a green salad with garlic vinaigrette.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote