Tues. Dinner, 5/24/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
It's kind of a chilly, dreary day today so I've rescued a container of Hungarian goulash soup from the freezer for dinner. I'll make a small salad to go with it.

Warm and sunny today, not the best weather for the large pot of pinto beans and ham I am cooking, to go with the cornbread presently in the oven.

Some of Craig's pulled pork from the freezer, doctored cole slaw from a preshredded bag, and mac and cheese with gruyere, cheddar, bacon, onions and garlic.

It's only in the upper 50's and off and on rain today, so it's my Italian chicken and tomato stew, basmati rice, broc. Tomorrow is forecasted to be in the 80's, so it will be grilling time.

I took a pork sirloin steak out of the freezer this morning not knowing what I was going to do with it, since I knew I'd have Tyler all afternoon and be pretty busy. I ended up flouring, seasoning and browning the chop, adding some sliced onions, dumping a can of cream of mushroom soup over it and letting it slow simmer for a couple of hours.

I haven't used COM soup in quite a while, but found a can in the cupboard. I've been tasting it and had forgotten how good those easy smothered pork chops can be. :yum: I'll pour it over egg noodles and have some steamed broccoli on the side. Yum.

Last edited:
Grabbed a rotisserie chicken from the hot foods at the local market and made some Trader Joe's Rice Pilaf, green beans, bread. Paired with a glass of Rolling Rock lager.

...I'm using the websites marinade recipe only cutting down the jerk seasoning to 3 Tbs instead of 6, as SC doesn't like a lot of heat...
How was that heat for you, Kayelle? I noticed that the blend included a bit of scotch bonnets. The one I got from The Spice House uses habaneros, and it's plenty spicy for me!

We're nowhere near the coast, but we had a cool drizzle here in Massachusetts' "Frontier", too. I had seen a cauliflower hiding behind the eggs, and I knew I had a good portion of Velveeta I wanted to disappear before summer, so I made a small pot of cheesy cauliflower soup. Added a little extra cayenne, Colman's mustard, and smoke seasoning - warmed us up right proper! I used four Chick-fil-a tenders I had tucked into the freezer a month or two ago. Himself had a chicken cordon bleu sandwich on a whole wheat roll, while I rolled mine into a cordon bleu salad, also adding a few grape tomatoes, a barely hard-cooked egg, and a half avocado.

Attachments

• 2016-05-24 21.30.11.jpg
    2016-05-24 21.30.11.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 200
[B said:
Cooking Goddess;1467646]How was that heat for you, Kayelle? I noticed that the blend included a bit of scotch bonnets. The one I got from The Spice House uses habaneros, and it's plenty spicy for me.[/B]

This was great for us, and what I remember from authentic jerk seasoning from Jamaica. As noted I only used half the blended spice in the marinade and it was just right. Wow, we loved the thighs, and I did a quick much less spicy marinade for the big portabella mushrooms I also grilled. They were to die for!

You're dinners always sound delicious CG, and tonight sounds great once again!

Thanks, Kayelle! More often than not, I'd like to show up at your home to mooch a meal from you. I'd bring wine! Too bad you're almost 3000 miles away...

I made a pretty good Indian dinner yesterday. I had a jar of Patak's butter chicken sauce so I diced onions, bell peppers, an old tomato and a large chicken breast and sautéed them, then simmered in the sauce.

It was pretty bland, so I added a variety of seasonings - granulated onion and garlic, cumin seeds and garam masala.

I also made rice pilaf with garam masala and cumin seeds toasted in butter before adding the rice and chicken stock.

And I had bought some naan bread. I made garlic oil and brushed it on them, then sprinkled them with garden parsley and toasted them in the oven. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 1464175115180.jpg
    1464175115180.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 153

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom