Tuesday 01.17.12 What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
I got my idea from Rocklobster's dinner yesterday. I have Red Beans soaking now. I am having Red Beans and Rice. Maybe Salad on the side. Time will tell.:yum:

I'm going with a cabbage roll soup made with homemade sauerkraut (rinsed) instead of cabbage (weather is such, I am not going out in this), and wild rice mixed into the meatballs instead of white rice. We'll see how it turns out.

Dinner will be the chicken I didn't get to yesterday.

Breakfast was – Chive and (Land O Lakes) American cheese omelet (a little browner than I like) with sliced tomato on the side.

img_1097126_0_21e3471a2f6f8ab4e65927b12e06ffca.jpg

We're in pre-vacation mode. SO is eating salads. I guess her plan is to eat salads for a week to cancel out 52 weeks of excess. If only...

I'm digging something out of the fridge that I can have with a bowl of egg and lemon soup.

I'm going with a cabbage roll soup made with homemade sauerkraut (rinsed) instead of cabbage (weather is such, I am not going out in this), and wild rice mixed into the meatballs instead of white rice. We'll see how it turns out.

The recipe that inspired me is at:

Cabbage Roll Soup - Foodland Ontario

It is simmering on the woodstove.

Here's how I changed it:

8 oz ground chicken instead of ground pork
2 c cooked wild rice (with white rice and mushrooms--I made it for stuffing last week, but no turkey this weekend)
cinnamon
gr. cloves
4 c turkey stock + 1 c beef stock + 3 c chicken stock (what I found in the freezer)
24 oz. frozen tomatoes
1/4 c dehydrated tomatoes
2 ice cubes homemade tomato paste
4 c homemade sauerkraut, drained and rinsed

I plan on serving it topped with sourdough rye croutons and sour cream.

Sourdough rye bread recipe is under the sourdough starter thread.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1097040

I will post a pic of the soup and comments when it's done....I suspect it will be ready for late lunch. It reminds me of the cabbage soup my grandma made...

Last edited:
I'm going to skip the croutons, just dip "fingers" of the sourdough in the soup...I can hardly wait for it to be ready. I usually do meatballs in the oven, so the meatballs need to cook in the broth a bit more. And, because it is on the woodstove and not the stove, it is truly simmering. If you like cabbage rolls, this is really good. I like the sauerkraut...but it is homemade. I don't think I'd like it with canned sauerkraut. Our sauerkraut is green, not white.

Ahhhh, nothing like a meal that is well anticipated, nursed with love and devoured with pleasure. Sounds like a good meal for what is supposed to be a nasty day weatherwise for our part of the country....

The plan is Shake-n-Bake pork chops and baked sweet potatoes....please note I said the plan...;)

Ahhhh, nothing like a meal that is well anticipated, nursed with love and devoured with pleasure. Sounds like a good meal for what is supposed to be a nasty day weatherwise for our part of the country....
This is definitely in the "comfort food on a cold, snowy, winter day" category.

I'm going to skip the croutons, just dip "fingers" of the sourdough in the soup...I can hardly wait for it to be ready. I usually do meatballs in the oven, so the meatballs need to cook in the broth a bit more. And, because it is on the woodstove and not the stove, it is truly simmering. If you like cabbage rolls, this is really good. I like the sauerkraut...but it is homemade. I don't think I'd like it with canned sauerkraut. Our sauerkraut is green, not white.

Wow, on a wood stove?... cool! :chef:

I love cabbage rolls. My family makes Kaldolmar, but it doesn't have a tomato-based sauce. If I had cabbage, I could make that tonight.

I'm not sure what I'm making. I think it's going to be beef patties with mashed potatoes and gravy with a veggie in the side.

Wow, on a wood stove?... cool! :chef:

I love cabbage rolls. My family makes Kaldolmar, but it doesn't have a tomato-based sauce. If I had cabbage, I could make that tonight.

I'm not sure what I'm making. I think it's going to be beef patties with mashed potatoes and gravy with a veggie in the side.
It is definitely worth trying. I made the meatballs with ground chicken because I didn't have ground pork or sausage. And sauerkraut because I didn't have any cabbage...and on the wood stove so I would remember to stoke it. I tend to get distracted and forget to add wood. Then I have to restart the fire...

Back
Top Bottom