Tuesday, 1/4/11, What's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the recipe I did not measure anything. (Yes I am bad about that)

First marinade chicken in a bit of light soy sauce and corn starch.

Make a corn starch slurry.

Make sauce a few tablespoons of chicken stock. (I don’t like a lot of sauce so I used perhaps three tablespoons.) A bit of chili garlic sauce. (I used about a teaspoon). And about 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce.

Then I cut up veggies. Stalks of bok choi were sliced thin, tops were torn into big pieces. Red pepper cut into pointy bits.

Got wok screaming hot, add oil then chicken. Cook chicken a bit then add ginger and garlic. When fragrant add cashew nuts. When everything has some color remove from wok. If needed add more oil then add stalks of bok choi and peppers after they have cooked a bit add tops of bok choi and sauce. Then add a bit of the corn starch slurry. Coat everything with sauce and plate.

Video should be up on You Tube tomorrow.
Thank you and how do I find the video tomorrow?

Looks fantastic! I want some.

I find that the longer you smoke them, the less heat remains. I also put lil smokies in with the seasoned cream cheese. Depending on the size of the pepper, I use a half a smokie.

Thanks, Andy.
They're like candy, aren't they? Such an addictive taste.

Taxlady, you could grill them indirect, low heat, lid down and put a foil packet of chips over your heat source (propane burner or charcoal), but they won't be quite as smoky flavored. I know folks that make them that way and that's how I do ribs usually. Like the ones I reheated tonight. You can see these even picked up a smoke ring, even though they weren't technically cooked on a smoker.

Attachments

• dinner tues.jpg
    dinner tues.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 167
Tuesdays are sort of "work" days for me (no, I don't have a paying job these days, but I do read to some friends who cannot any more). So I plan something easy. In this case a frozen pizza that I gussy up with better quality toppings.

I have a very simple and easy recipe for a lentil soup that is perfect during this cold weather. This is the recipe:
Ingredients: for 4 servings
1 cup washed lentil
1 tomato, 1 potato, 1 onion and 1 carrot all cut into chunks
3-4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cummin
salt and pepper to taste
2 cubes of chicken stock
preparation:
Boil all the ingredients in 5-6 cups water for 35 min or until the vegetables are tender.
Leave to cool down for 10 min. then pour all the soup in the bender. Blend until you have a smooth soup with no lumps.
You can return the soup again to the pot to reheat it before serving. Try to squeeze 1/2 lemon on each plate just before serving.

zhizara, all I did last night was to boil them then fry/grill them in a little bacon grease on the stove top in a CI skillet. Didn't feel like firing up the outside grill for 5 brats. In the past I've cooked them in beer before grilling but last night was just a quick dinner. I have sauerkraut and spicy mustard on mine. DH likes grilled onions and mayo on his.

Andy--

I also don't have a smoker. Instead of chips, would a plank work? I did a really nice lightly smoked salmon last summer on the BBQ using a cedar plank. Do you think using cedar (or other type of wood) plank would create a similar taste (in place of smoking the ABTs)? BTW, the salmon was AMAZING. My DH has a sawmill (one of his many hobbies), so I just grabbed a piece of cedar slab wood, soaked it in the tub for about 6 hours, and tossed it (and the fish) on the barbie. Ummm...was that ever nice salmon.

You don't need a smoker to smoke foods. I use a charcoal grill and a gas grill to smoke.

I definitely would not use cedar. I've never tried using a plank to smoke. If you can get it to smoke and not burn, fine. You could cut it up into chunks and use it. I really like hickory for that traditional smoked flavor.

Back
Top Bottom