Tuesday 12/13/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ended up pulling a mystery meal out of the freezer. We decided it was some kind of stew...most likely beef. No clue who made it, I didn't. Whoever made it used no seasoning whatsoever so I had to add S&P, etc. It was pretty "meh" but Mom ate 2 servings (her servings are small). She also did get milk and cookies.:)

I LOVE eating leftovers for breakfast! :wub:

I actually had half of a meatloaf sandwich this morning with my smoothie. I needed extra protein and was going to have homemade almond butter on toast. But as I was going for the almond butter I saw the meatloaf from yesterday. Yum!

I LOVE eating leftovers for breakfast! :wub:

I actually had half of a meatloaf sandwich this morning with my smoothie. I needed extra protein and was going to have homemade almond butter on toast. But as I was going for the almond butter I saw the meatloaf from yesterday. Yum!
I love leftover meatloaf for breakfast cold. :ohmy::angel:

My trip to the mechanic took longer than planned. When I left, my next stop was Market Basket and, for a change, they had rotisserie chickens large enough I wasn't tempted to refer to it as rotisserie pigeons. :LOL: Came home with that, plus a loaf of French bread and a bag of frozen baby peas. Before we ate, though, we needed to run up and get Himself's car, too. I mentioned on the way up that I woke up with his sore throat from yesterday, plus I still had a stiff neck.

I get back from us getting his car, then then wait...and wait...and where in blue blazes is my hubby? The darling man stopped at the Chinese restaurant to get me a quart of won ton soup! :wub: He also picked up a quart of egg drop soup, since he wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It's OK, but not won ton soup! He also brought a small container of fresh-made crab rangoon. A quart of soup each, we shared the rangoons...and chicken tomorrow, I guess.

I told you Himself was romantic, CG.

Those were wontons and rangoons of love. :)

Med, your pot pies look amazing!

I went straight from work down the shore to take Mom to the doc, then to bingo. 4 hours in the car with no sleep isn't much fun. I finally got home around 3, so I just wanted to make something quick and go to sleep. A couple of lamb chops and some sweet onions later, and Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Attachments

• lamb chops and onions.jpg
    lamb chops and onions.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 90
Since I had made pork sausage, we had a rare treat Korvkaka, well there is many types of this but I made mine with the left over sausage batter and raisins, instead of a loaf, I made patties and served with lingon, gravy and potatoes.

Yum

Individual homemade turkey pot pies. I discovered we didn't have enough butter thawed to make the pastry dough earlier today so I used lard for half of the shortening. I always forget how flaky and tender it makes the crust.

37240-albums1041-picture6763.jpg

37240-albums1041-picture6764.jpg

Looks yummy, Med :yum: I really need to try making those this winter. I have quite a bit of lard left from the hog-butchering class I took in January.

We had seared steak, roasted smashed potatoes and salad. The greens and the tomato are from the garden :yum:

Attachments

• 1481725487633.jpg
    1481725487633.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 1481725512682.jpg
    1481725512682.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 81
It's worth it using the lard. My first thought when I saw there wasn't enough butter was *#%* I'm going to have to go to the store. Then, I saw the lard and went Yea! I like making the little individual pies. They really didn't take that long to roll out and the pastry is a lot easier to handle for the little pie plates. We originally bought the little pie tins to make sweet pies as we never seem to manage to finish a whole pie and always end up throwing some away.

I did forget about the trick of grating frozen butter to make pastry dough though. Didn't think of it until much later.

Weird thing though. Last night, the pies broke open as soon as I turned them out of the pans. This morning, they turn out just perfect and keep their shape. I'd have thought the sort of wet filling would make the dough even softer and more prone to break, but I was wrong. One of them made a nice breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom